Recommendations for Roma

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by dawgpound2, Nov 17, 2004.

1. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Its hard to go wrong when your in Rome. Just get lost and experience it. The only thing I would steer clear of, is restaurants that carter to tourist. You got to have the ice cream, that's a must, there are loads of good places try a few. Try spending a day without going to a restaurant, go to the street vendors, bakeries, grocery stores, bars instead, you'll save some money and still get some of the best food you have ever had, and have a more Italian experience. And bring back a bottle of Caffe Sport, its an expresso liquor Italians drink during halftime.

2. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Good stuff. My wife and I plan to "picnic" many times by just shopping at little food shops and street markets, etc.

I don't drink, so I'm afraid I'll have to pass on the Caffe Sport. Sounnds interesting, though.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Hey DP2, when are you leaving?

The Slow Travel site and the Slow Talk message board are both great resources for trips to Italy.

I haven't posted there in a while, but I do have a link to my never completed blog when we went to Liguria there somewhere.

They also have numerous photo galleries there, including my gallery of our trip to Venice in September, 2001.

4. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike, we leave one week from today (Tuesday), and are in Rome for one week.

I'm gonna eat up all the stuff everyone posted here (pun intended) and check out that stuff you've recommended. I'll let you know how Christmas in Roma is when I return!

Grazie!

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    One thing that's still a bit off the beaten path is Nero's Domus Aurea. Its close to the Coliseum (I stayed in the area, so I walked by it daily :)), and its the newly opened excavations of Nero's palace. Its somewhat preserved because Vespasian made a big show of turning it into a taboo of sorts, and stuffed it up with dirt. However, Rennaisance artists broke in to it to study the ancient murals and mosaics. Some of their signatures (including Raphael) can still be seen on the ceiling. Its not terribly big, but if you're near the Coliseum its very cool.
    As for the rest of it - I've probably spent the equivalent of two weeks just walking around Rome. You can't go wrong just stumbling around the city. Make sure to see Michaelangelo's Moses, which is in a Church that's a little out of the way.
    The coolest thing I did in Rome was get to the Vatican really, really early, be one of the first in line, and then race through the museum to get to the Sistine Chapel as soon as possible. Standing in front of the last judgement practically alone is an awesome experience. (And I'm not even religious. ;))

6. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice,

Good stuff! Grazie. I have the Domus Aurea scheduled in for our final full day in Roma. Can't wait.

As for the Vatican, my wife and I plan to go super early the first full day we're there. How early is good to get in line? It opens at 8:45am (I believe. Maybe 8:30).

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think I got there at 8:00, since the lines start early. (I went twice.) However, I was also pretty far from the Vatican, and it was a bit of a walk to the metro, then from the metro to the Vatican (you gotta go up some stairs:)). The Sistine Chapel is cool anytime you go though. :)

8. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    My wife and I spent 9 days in Rome and stayed at the Hotel Hassler. The location is fantastic, above the Spanish Steps, and the view of the city from our balcony was awesome. The staff were gracious and helpful. The breakfast buffet was excellent. Dinner on the hotel rooftop was delicious and the service was very good. The owner, Roberto Wirth, ensured that visitors' stays were comfortable and enjoyable.

We went on a Maximus Tour and our tour guide, Joanne, was superb. She was really commited and enthusiastic. The Vatican Tour with her was most enjoyable. Her explanation of the art work in the Sistine Chapel was brilliant. We would have missed a lot if it were not for Joanne.

The Pantheon is a must visit. A free guided tour is recommended. Make sure to visit Raphael's tomb. The Square outside has numerous places to sit, relax and enjoy a coffee.

Trevi Fountain is worth a visit and we recommend a visit at night when it's beautifully floodlit and less crowded. Some fine restaurants and cafes are located in the surrounding area. We threw a few coins into the fountain so I guess we'll return to Rome.

Roman Forum is another must see. It's absolutely beautiful and awe inspiring. A tour guide is necessary to explain the history. We used Angel Tours and our tour guide, Jennifer, was excellent and spoke fluent English. She was most knowledgable and made our visit worthwhile.

Galleria Borghise is located in one of the largest parks in Rome. We took a guided tour and were restricted to 2 hours. The sculptures are amazing, especially "Apollo and Daphne" The depth and variety of the gallery is utterly fantastic, and one of the best we've ever seen. It's not to be missed.

Colosseum is undoubtedly a landmark of Rome. Licensed tour guides are available and can be recognised from their badges. We took a tour which provided us with far more knowledge and understanding than we would not have had without the guide. The history and culture of the place is truly amazing. It's well worth a visit.

Vino Roma is worth a visit if you are a wine lover. Hande Leimer, a lovely lady, is the perfect host, from whom we learned a lot about Italian wines and tasting. It was a wonderful experience.

Imago Restaurant. This is the hotel restaurant. The setting is magical, the service impeccable, the food fantastic and the wine list superb. Very expensive.

La Taverna Di Martin Restaurant was recommended to us by one of the hotel guests. Martin, the owner, was very helpful and made some excellent suggestions. The food, Italian cuisine, was outstanding and the price very reasonable. We highly recommend it.

ll Ciah (?spelling) A Tuscan restaurant, great for meat on the grill. We enjoyed venison and Tuscan wine. Great location in a wonderful neighbourhood.

Jeliel Restaurant. Very good restaurant with excellent food. Massimo the owner/chef does a great job with authentic Italian food. Difficult to find in a small alley but worth the search.

Minerva Roof Restaurant is located in the Grand Hotel de la Minerie. Excellent food with spectacular views of Rome. Worth a splurge.

Harry's Bar is located across the street from the Marriott Hotel. A great place to go for a drink or a meal. The lamb is excellent and the fish filets tender and delicious. I had a few shots of a 12 year old Macallan when last I visited.

Rome is one of the most beautiful cities we visited!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXFk3PzUN74"]YouTube - Virtual Tour of Rome[/ame]