Recent and Future Stadia -- Modest European Projects

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by TEConnor, Dec 6, 2004.

1. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This is too big as far a capacity but the WC'02 Seoul "Kite" stadium has always been one of my favorite designs.

2. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Very nice indeed.

I've been hunting around for a stadium with three sides of roofing, seeing as we are likely to have an open end for view of the capitol building. I found the following for Montpellier...imagine it without the huge stand on the uncovered side:

[​IMG]

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Future Home of the Metrostars:

[​IMG]

Metropark @ Landfill, NJ

;)

4. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I'd love to have a roof all the way around, it would mean that you wouldn't have a view of the river or the Capitol, which I would think is the prime feature of the site.

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The Bayern Munich Mothership has landed!

Wow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    My goodness, that thing is incredible.

7. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999

Evidently, the new inspiration in German stadium architecture is disco tires.

Sometimes, architects can be total dipshits. No offense intended Lowecifer!

Tim

8. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This stadium is about a third bigger (but 18,000 of the 38,000 capacity is standing room) than DCU wants, but I like that way the seating slopes sharply down to the field and comes up snug against the pitch.

The interior of this one is the way it should be:

http://www.stadiumguide.com/stpauli.htm

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  10. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    [​IMG]

This is taking the literacy campaign a step too far, in my opinion. If you can't tell, that's the top of a urinal.

Tim

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Translation: If only FCB would stand where you are standing, at the very front.
    - Sevis, the stadium cleaner

I've been to St. Jakob Park several times for national team games and it's a terrific stadium. In Switzerland it will take a pentagon to top it... :D

12. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Even their own toilets mock them!

I'm glad you translated cause the babelfish version I got was pretty lewd.

Tim

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sadly that sentence doesn't apply anymore. They are currently the class of Switzerland (beating my beloved Grasshoppers yet again yesterday.)

Back to stadiums, Servette also has a very nice one. I attended Switzerland vs. Albania at the Stade de Geneve...

[​IMG]

14. LowEnd

LowEnd New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Before I clicked on the link, I thought you were reffering to the current St. Pauli stadium and got a little scared. I was there this summer and it's a more run down/punk rock version of the Crew Stadium - except that it's packed with rabid fans with mowhawks who sing the whole game (I think even in Div. 3 they out-draw a few teams in the Bundesliga).

But I'd love to see this new stadium when it's done. And I wouldn't mind something something similar on the Anacostia either...minus the standing sections.

15. rojojova

rojojova Member

Mar 7, 2001
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to me, this one is amazing... If someone had that for a stadium it would be, by far the coolest mid-sized stadium in the country. Heck, you could even rationalize doing something like that for united saying that the square shape of the exterior references the shape of the solid stuctures of the government buildings in DC.
    that thing would get talked about.

16. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I agree with you, IF it weren't in an open space area on the bank of a river. A design far less urban and more organic is necessary in the case of Poplar Point, in my opinion.

One thing we haven't addressed is that the design of the baseball stadium may dictate (in style) what gets done at the DC stadium. As they will be anchor structures opposite each other on the same route/bridge, it seems obvious that the baseball design motif could dictate some aesthetics.

Cheers,
    Tim

17. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they anywhere along designing it? Given the size of the project, I'd naively think they'd have to be to have it done when they want. If so, are there artist's renditions available anywhere?

18. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    This is all I've ever seen:

[​IMG]

I've also seen detailed information on exactly where the promenade, exits, etc. will be for the stadium. Hence, you've got to figure that baseball has preliminary drawings at this point. The same might be true for DC United, I wouldn't be surprised if they have them (Lowecifer can weigh in on that, my only architecture experience is some drafting at a landscape architecture firm during college).

Cheers,
    Tim

19. Filho do Dragão

Filho do Dragão New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Uma Nação
    Check this one out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what Goodison Park would look like if they decided that it should be properly redeveloped. I assume that you can lop off the top part, keep the lower part, paint the seats in United colours and you'll have a decent ground for you guys over there. :)

What do you think?

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  21. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    I thought I had heard or read KP say at one point that it would be a model "urban" stadium. My understanding was that the stadium would be part of a new town-center-like of development centered right at the Anacostia metro stop. The development would include housing, shopping and restaurants and the taxes generated by the development would partially go to help finance the stadium (a TIF). What they don't want is an RFK situation where there is a lot of land and little development around the park.

If they keep the development close to the metro, that may leave enough land to build the Douglass memorial and please everyone.

I looked, but couldn't find a reference in an earlier thread to a site plan that United had already developed showing where the stadium would sit in relation to the metro.

22. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent point. Unfortunately, I bet what MLB has in mind is another (by now) ho-hum retro bricks & mortar design. That isn't to say that Camden Yards wasn't cool when it went up, but (in my opinion) it's been re-done so many times that the concept is no longer fresh.

23. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to hear from you, LowEnd. It's hard to believe that the magical Sunday afternoon at the Lucky Bar is now over a month away.

You know, the more I think about it the more I think this interior design of this one is "da bomb." You gotta figure that, when this baby is completed, it's simply going to be an insane asylum on game day.

And, the size of this thing may not be all that much bigger than DCU is looking for. I imagine that the standing room areas are at either end of the stadium. So, if you rip one end off for a stage and put seats in the other, you'd might be somewhere around 25,000 seating capacity. The open end, possibly, could be rigged with temporary seating for playoffs or USMNT matches. And, there don't seem to be a lot of architectural bells and whistles to the basic design, so maybe it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to put this one up.

Wish that I was more technologically adapt so I could paste this one here so everyone could take a quick look-see. But, here's the link again.

http://www.stadiumguide.com/stpauli.htm

24. perctarit

perctarit Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ward 6
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the baseball stadium is, in fact, to be oriented in this direction and is to have an open outfield, it raises an intriguing prospect: the outfield vista will almost certainly take in some or all of a Poplar Point stadium. There have to be some interesting marketing possibilities in that for United. In addition, the day will come soon enough when the Nats and United are playing at home simultaneously. If it's a typical United home crowd, baseball-going fans will almost certainly get a whiff of the noise and energy of an MLS game from across the river. That would be very cool.

perc

25. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kind of surpised by the orientation of the baseball stadium. Given it's location, I would think they'd want the view towards the Capitol. I guess it's an either/or situation - river or Capitol.