reccomedations for an 89/90 club team in illinois

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by soccerfreek421, Jul 7, 2005.

1. soccerfreek421

soccerfreek421 New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    chicago suburbs
    ive been playing soccer now all my life basically n i have looked through some of the posts. i agree with the chicago fire juniors comments. i played for them this last yea and although they are a new club they were very unorganized. so i am faced with the situation of finding myslef a club in which i will be noticed by colleges. i have looked into teams such as the magic and sockers and they both are too far away for me to travel to. does anyone have ideas as to different clubs? i have looked into the galaxy, windy city pride, ajax, and juventus. i havent heard much on any of those clubs so any info will be very helpful.

2. beautifulgame11

beautifulgame11 New Member

May 16, 2005
    I'll throw a name out there...HUSA!! They have some good teams, and some great coaches as well. Also I BELIEVE the team your age for HUSA is VERY good, winning state cup 2 years ago, and coming up short against a very good Sockers team this year in the semis. The club is really on the way up...I would strongly recomend them if you are a strong and quality player.

3. soccerfreek421

Jul 7, 2005
    chicago suburbs
    thats still a ways for traveling for me. i have looked in to husa but again its too far to travel. also has anyone heard of america's soccer club?

4. joto 3

joto 3 New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    evansville, IN
    rockford...
    their 90 team finished 2nd in the nation a few years back

5. beautifulgame11

May 16, 2005
    the raptors finished 2nd in the nation LAST YEAR...and theyre back at nationals this year...but if the sockers of magic is to much of a drive...a drive all the way to rockford would also be i would imagine;)

6. soccermama3

soccermama3 New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    At the 89/90 level, there are 4 real contenders: Magic, Sockers, HUSA, and Raptors. Considering the Raptors are on the way to their 2nd year at Nationals, I would say they are the hot seat right now. Can't speak for HUSA, but the other three clubs have great college coach connections.

Based on the teams you were mentioning, it sounds as if you might be in the Naperville area. Several Magic players are from that area, so maybe you could consider getting into a carpool to ease your commute.

On the other hand, maybe you aren't quite up to that level of play. It would then be better to stay away from the top level teams as it wouldn't do you much good to be on a top team if you are on the bench since if the coach doesn't see you play, he won't show any interest either. If this is the case, then maybe you should look at some of the teams that are playing in the Premier level of NISL. This would include FC United, FV Strikers, and Chicago Wind (though I shutter as I say this as their tactics at this age are less than desirable). There are some great players on FC United along with some quality coaches. However, based on your comments, I'd say United and Wind are probably too much of a commute for you which leaves the Strikers. Can't comment too much on them as I really don't know the team, but it appears your Fire Jr team played them in this league.

7. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    soccerfreak, may I be straightforward with you?

If your question is: "What's good near Wheaton/West Suburbs" the answer is NOTHING.

Gonna have to spend some gas money young man...

8. soccerfreek421

Jul 7, 2005
    chicago suburbs
    i realize that i will probably have to travel but i really dont want to travel an hour to practice. im lookin more for 30 min. the wheaton area is too far for me. chicago fire juniors (located in wheaton) was the last club i played for. at all costs i would like to stay away from that area. i guess my real question would be... what teams are good in the joliet area/naperville area. and does anybody have oppinions on any of the previously listed teams such as ajax, windy sity, juventus?

9. celticeire

celticeire Member

Aug 26, 2004

All the clubs you mentioned at best might equal the level of your team last season and at worst would be a considerable drop in level such as Ajax would be. The bottom line is even by Illinois standards this age group is strong. I would argue the strongest in terms of talent in depth in Illinois. With Metro being promoted there will be 5 Illinois teams playing in the National League Premier Division next season. Now obviously Metro is out of the picture for you. But when it comes to the Chicagoland area and the state Metro excepted there is a clear seperation between the big 4 and the rest. Clearly Raptors, Sockers, HUSA and Magic are the top teams. To touch on the college point brought up by soccermama all 4 teams have proved themselves good at putting their players in good college programs. My advice if you want to have a go at playing at the top level next season is between now and next November contact all the clubs. Speak to all the coaches of the teams for next season and be honest about what your looking for and ask them what they honestly think you can do on their team next season, go to their tryouts and again speak to the coach very openly and then go play for the team that has the best fit for you. But sorry you are going to have to drive if you want to play at the highest level.

10. soccerfreek421

Jul 7, 2005
    chicago suburbs
    your idea worked. i emailed some of the coaches and i have already gotten a response from 2 of them. thank you!!

11. HjkF50

HjkF50 New Member

May 1, 2005
    NOVA
    I just wanna say that you dont know how lucky u are to live near elite clubs. the teams here in memphis are ok but we're not even the best in the state while those clubs in chicago win regionals and nationals, I would do anything to play for a great club like Magic or Sockers, drive 1 hour to practice ? fine
    not start for the first couple of months? fine

lucky, lucky, lucky

12. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Those HUSA coaches are pretty quick Soccerfrk........Good luck.

13. beautifulgame11

May 16, 2005
    Celtic...what exactly do you mean by the HUSA coaches being "quick." Is this a compliment or a diss?? :confused:

14. celticeire

celticeire Member

Aug 26, 2004

No problem. As I said make sure your talk to all 4 clubs and are very open and honest about what your looking for and be direct and pick the club that is the best fit for you.

15. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    BeautifulGame11 :No diss.......Good people

16. beautifulgame11

May 16, 2005
    Celtic...I agree! I know two of their top coaches personaly, and both are quality people, and good coaches as well!! I think HUSA is on the right path in terms of doing things well, and doing them the right way.