Rebuilding the NT -2018 Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by b9d23m89, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Another bad game for Bauza...

Just saying,

2. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    There was a point to gain....

3. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Yea i get ya. Maybe im being a negative nancy this week. But honestly that was a really patched up ecuador on the field. I wouldve gone 5 center backs to get a point lol

4. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It was a good effort considering all the injuries we have but this game was well within our reach, mental lapses in our defensive scheme cost us a draw. Ecuador played a great game but again defense is the concern and its not just Erazo and Achilier its everyone. All aside M. Caicedo did well with his minutes, Cazares should start over Bolanos period, J. Ayovi believe or not did amazing i was impressed one of the only players que sudo la camiseta. We got lucky not to lose anyone for the next game but we just added more players to the list. If theres one thing we can take away from this is the fact that we are the only team to score in Montevideo this qualifier, we are a good team but we will never go anywhere with defense like that. Against Venezuela it's business 3pts and a goleada we need to get that goal difference up.

At the end of the day we are still in a direct qualification stop ahead of Chile on goal difference and if theres one team everyone wants to choke and is capable of choking it's us. Wanna hear the interesting part Argentina are 1 point behind us, Paraguay is 2 and surprisingly Peru is 3 points behind with a win in Paraguay. The scary part is that 5 out of our last 6 games are with teams who are looking to make that final push to qualify no matter what.

5. LoreBSC

LoreBSC Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Union City NJ
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    you all still saying fidel martinez is better than marco caicedo?

6. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Bolivia gave up didn't they? Right after they played their heart out with us.

7. LoreBSC

LoreBSC Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Union City NJ
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    no they didnt, our defense just sucked as usual, 38 year old escobar ridiculed mina and caicedo

8. ECUAlex

ECUAlex Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Couldn't catch the game today but it seems like majority of the people I've spoken to are content with the performance considering we weren't near 100% (not the result). Heard Ibarra played very well today and that Noboa was flojo.

If anyone has the chance to catch me up on what happened it'd be appreciated (since Bein barely talked about it)

9. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    They did give up, right after that fiasco.

Venezuela will play the game of their lives Tuesday as if they still had a chance to qualify.

barcelonista1981 repped this.
  10. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    bein sux, I was watching and then they went right into the Bra - Arg game.

11. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Vs Venezuela

Dreer; Paredes, Mina, Aimar/Caicedo; Ibarra, Orejuela, Noboa, Martinez; Enner, F.Caicedo

12. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Not disappointed with the game to be honest. But we do have to beat Venezuela with a decent scoreline to keep the goal differential high.

13. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Watching it and we deserve a tie at least. This isn't even our starting line up.
    No way anyone starts ahead of Caicedo and Mina on defense though but we finally got depth. I would have like to try the BSC players on defense but there is no way they play when Mina and Caicedo are back.
    Noboa was not too good but my guess is because they were targeting him big time. Uruguay knows that our attack starts with him.
    W. Ayovi was the weakest link IMO, he didn't provide any dangerous attack and they attacked from his side a lot. He is just too slow now. Glad we have Ramirez now because I can tell the drop off now between both of them. Still, Ayovi still good as a backup I guess but we need more.
    The subs did really good too. The starting 23 are starting to take shape now for the World Cup. I just don't see much changes happening now unless something catastrophic happens.

Standout players IMO were Orejuela (terrific, cut Uruguays attacks), Ibarra (did good but we sorely missed Antonio, had some stupid ass passes and shots), and to my surprise Paredes and Achilier.

Bad... Bolaños didn't do anything but the Noboa didn't feed him much. Ayovi was the weakest link on defense. Martinez didn't have a good game but he was playing with Ayovi, he plays better with Ramirez. Noboa had a bad game no doubt about it. He was blanketed and was invisible the whole game. I think Cazares needed to come for him instead of Bolaños. Noboa was very ineffective today.

Allan_Somewhere repped this.
  14. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    There's a few things people need to understand: Fidel Martinez's strength isn't the wing. He's a second striker. I've always said it. Next thing I'd like to point out is that he's different from the rest of our attackers b/c he doesn't have as much of the surprise factor as your Montero's, Antonio's, Miller, Enner, etc. Fidel's biggest strength is being an opportunist in addition to his tactical discipline (which IMO is his biggest strength). He's played a lot this Qualifier and by now most people should be able to identify WHY Quinteros plays him. Tactically disciplined, tactically disciplined, tactically disciplined!! In an away game vs. Uruguay you WANT a Fidel Martinez to play more cautiously when you have an old Walter Ayovi who doesn't aid you in attack and who you feel like you're babysitting when defending.....the only guy who will do that job for you is....you guessed it= Fidel Martinez. Jeff Montero leaves wide gaps and has trouble connecting with Walter. When Jeff plays we get smashed on the left at times b/c Jeff speeds his way up the field and leaves open spaces behind him b/c sometimes Walter won't accompany him and also Walter has trouble keeping up. Period. He's 37 years old. It's more of a cautious and smart more to play someone like Martinez. YES, I agree he didn't have a good game, but it came off like that b/c we had the room and opportunity to be more daring and explode through the left wing. Martinez didn't take that chance. Most of the time he won't unless he is accompanied by the right player. With Ramirez the spectrum changes completely. But either way, I'm more of a fan of Martinez playing BEHIND the target man or next to the target man. Not so much on the wing. Did Marcos Caicedo do well? to some degree, yes. He left a good impression and most importantly it's because he came in at the RIGHT TIME. Had he started instead of Martinez who knows how badly we would've been attacked on the left wing. I can't just start someone like Marcos Caicedo away vs. Uruguay when he doesn't know how to play with Walter....and TRUST ME you have to KNOW how to play with Walter. (aka look out for Walter when he needs you).

Defense: Achilier did good IMO. Erazo was a bit flimsy yesterday, but not poor. The goal came in b/c of a corner kick and Felipe Caicedo wasn't marking Coates properly. I'm pretty sure that was his man. The second goal came in through Walter's side. Where was he? Why was there SO much space given to the Uruguayan player who center the ball (paredes and Noboa where were you guys? why no pressure?) ? and FINALLY, Dreer rebounds that ball WTF?! 4 players at fault. Replay the videos. Ridiculous lack of concentration. I'm surprised I didn't have to bash the center backs today. Who knows if they will start in Quito. I have a feeling they will. But Walter needs to go. Paredes can stay b/c aside from that mistake he had a good game. Noboa surprised me in a BAD way....Tabarez did exactly what he said he would- Kill Noboa's game. Great job by Tabarez b/c Noboa was lost. The only game this Qualifier where I can say Noboa was unrecognizable. Felipe did good and Ibarra did amazing. Orejuela stood out and I'm finally comfortable 100% with him as a starter. I needed this game as a final confirmation and he won me over. Miller was quiet, but did have moments to score and make a difference. His form is off. Not sure how he plays week after week in Brazil, but his form is not where we all know it should be. We need Miller at 100% b/c when he is he's one of our best.

My line up vs. Venezuela:

Dreer; Paredes, Cunti, Mina, Ramirez; Noboa, Orejuela; Ibarra, Enner, Fidel (Marcos); Felipe

I think Marcos could be good in Quito vs. Venezuela. It's an opportune moment to give him a start if necessary. We run left risk in Quito and with Ramirez behind him we'd be fine.

What do I think the line up will be?

Dreer; Paredes, Achilier, Erazo, Walter; Noboa, Orejuela; Ibarra, Miller, Enner; Felipe

Allan_Somewhere repped this.
  15. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Spot on analysis guys :thumbsup:

I agree that despite not being at full power we deserved a tie but at the same time I'm happy we didn't concede more with that defense.

I just hope in the next round Argentina beats Colombia and Chile ties with Uruguay. Those results with us winning pushes us to 3rd and round 13 will then benefit us a lot. Argentina will go against Chile and Uruguay against Brazil, meaning points in the top 5 will be dropped.

cabezamagica repped this.
  16. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Also, we need to start integrating Cevallos Jr. into the NT because as much as I love Noboa, he's not getting any younger.

17. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ecuador didn't play a bad game. I think they did enough to leave Montevideo with a tie so it sucks we lost. I think Achilier and Erazo are starting against Venezuela. We can't blame the loss on them. I want Cunti and Mina to start but as of right now i don't think they will. We'll see how things play out in the coming days. We all know that Ramirez should start instead of Walter Ayovi but it's just not gonna happen. Walter is still the captain and given he's healthy that spot is his until he voluntarily retires or gets injured. That's just the reality of the situation. It's going to be interesting to see what Quinteros does now that Enner is available. My money is on him playing Caicedo up top, Enner on the right, Ibarra on the left, and Miller behind Caicedo. I think Cazares should actually start in place of Miller. Miller is not in good form. Isn't at club level and it showed yesterday playing for the national team. Coaches are wary of making lots of changes from one game to the next so I think he'll ride it out with him at least for the time being.

I think the game against Venezuela is going to be tough. They're coming off a big win. Granted the opponent they beat is Bolivia but still. Their confidence is high and they're playing without pressure. I think a lot of people are expecting a goleada and I don't think that's gonna happen. Our players have a tendency to sometimes underestimate perceived weaker opponents and it comes back to hurt us.

b9d23m89 repped this.
  18. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #1893 The Machine, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Results we need to happen:

Bolivia either beating or tying Paraguay at home
    Uruguay either tying or beating Chile away
    Argentina either beating or tying Colombia at home
    Brazil beating Peru away

We can't drop any more points at home. We have four home games remaining - Venezuela, Peru, Colombia, Argentina. Easiest game out of the bunch is the one against Venezuela. Peru and Colombia always play us tough in Quito and the last home game against Argentina figures to be a final. All these games are must wins. Anyone remember what happened the last time we dropped points at home during qualification i.e South Africa 2014? We dropped points against Venezuela, Colombia, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay and it cost us qualification. We've already dropped points against Brazil and Paraguay. We can't afford to drop anymore.

b9d23m89 repped this.
  19. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree. I feel like you usually have the same line up in your head as I do, but we all know reality is the one we saw starting yesterday is most likely going to be what we see on the field vs. Venezuela in Quito next week. Venezuela won't be a piece of cake like some people may believe. YES, we should want to go for a goleada b/c it's the opportune time and opponent to do it to, but reality is going against the "smaller teams" (in theory) ends up being Ecuador's biggest nightmare. Til this day which team was the toughest win we had in Quito this Qualifier? Bolivia rings a bell. NOT easy.

The difference is Venezuela may technically feel "defeated" at this point, BUT the win they had this week is a boost of confidence and will make them desire to go for more this time around. Had they lost this week, it would've been a different story as far as mental strength goes, but right now their confidence boosted a little bit.

Anyone feel like Michael Arroyo could've been of help yesterday? We needed someone taking shots and also not wasting our free-kicks. Sucks leaving a game knowing you could've done more.

20. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Anyone notice Felipe Caicedo lost weight. Just noticed it yesterday. You could tell he was a lot faster too. I think the body type he has right now is ideal for the speed at which our wingers play.

21. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm watching the replay of the goal and DAMN....Dominguez would never rebound a ball like that. To my recollection he catches really well. Dreer is heavily at fault. That ball was coming straight to him. It'd be different if he had to dive or something, but damn....

22. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ayovi shouldn't start anymore. He might be the captain but his body isn't able to play at this level anymore.

I'm hoping our starters (Mina, Caicedo, Ramirez) come back into defense and I would like Cazares to start too but our coach plays favorites with Miller.

One thing I want Quinteros to do is create a "go for the kill" mindset in the players. Even if we're up 3-0, keeping trying to score more goals.

We can win our home games but I just hope there are no injuries because we always seem to pick up injuries before a crucial match.

23. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Looks like the line up so far has 3 doubts and you've probably guessed them by now:

Dreer; Paredes, Mina, Caicedo, Walter; Noboa, Orejuela; Enner, Miller, Ibarra; Felipe

Mina, Caicedo, and Achilier have equal options to start. Erazo is the center back with least possibilities to start. Walter looks like he's competing against Ramirez and in this case seniority and the fact that Walter is captain will weigh in heavily IMO, but Ramirez is competing with him for a start. Hope Ramirez gets it.

24. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    I thought the same as well Im surprised no one else pointed that out. If Dominguez had done that everyone would have blamed him for the lost.

25. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador