Rebuilding the NT -2018 Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by b9d23m89, Jun 26, 2014.

1. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    As much as I bash the guy and cringe at 85% of his shots, he's been very consistent in the past 5 official games for us (3 copa America games and 2 eliminatorias). Correct me if I'm wrong but, he's netted 3 goals and 2 assists. That's a very decent track record.

In my opinion when enner comes back he should have an opportunity to win the his starting position back, but definitely not hand it to him either. Work your way back up papa. Why mess with a winning formula?

MetroG repped this.
  2. MetroG

MetroG Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Newark, NJ, USA
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I have to put in my two cents. First I agree with all of you but I want to say what a good técnico it looks like we finally have. Smart subs in the second half because the wings The strength of Ecuador Valencia and Montero could not get going because of the weather so he adjusted and put in two great passers in Fidel and Casares to feed the ball or dribble inside the box and take away the pressure from Caicedo. I think it was brilliant and I can see him using this in the future when he sees a team double up our wings then put in the subs and threaten down the middle. Once they come back to the middle we go wide again, my only fear and I hope it doesn't happen is that Caicedo gets hurt. Because we don't have another player like him all other spots we have a poor mans Valencia in the kid that plays in Holland and on the left we have the guy that plays in America de Mexico but to replace our big forward nothing. Enner's game is not like Caicedo and Jaime Ayovi is too slow and not strong enough. I think the true test will be against Uruguay and thank goodness it's in Quito. I really can't wait for that game against Uruguay and yes everyone is correct I really don't like Quinonez he Is a a huge liability we already have one in Archillier in the back no need for another in the midfield.

3. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Bolanos does play a part to our offense he does position him self into scoring opportunities assist and score. I think when we get Valencia back we will get a duo up front with more chemistry that will generate more danger and scoring opportunities.

Its true we do only score in the last 10 minutes of the game before we scored against Argentina I was praying Quinteros would sub in Fidel for Caicedo. We need faster more dangerous players like Fidel, Enner, Cazares ect. It gives our attack a whole different scheme it almost instantly noticeable the change and impact these guys make up front.

The keys is balance. Its hard to say if they should be starters or not they are amazing subs and came when we were playing well, defending and holding the ball. Caicedo even tho he is slow, gets off side a lot and isnt too noticeable in our offense his physicals does help hold the ball up front and is capable a scoring big and important goals.

Our team still has a lot to work on and our subs Martinez, Cazares, ect still need to become more complete and consistent players. When Enner comes back he needs to work to get his spot back for now I will keep everything as is.

My line up vs Uruguay:

Dominguez
    Paredes, Achilier, Erazo, Walter
    Valencia, Castillo, Noboa, Montero
    Caicedo, Bolanos

Subs;
    Alex Bolanos for Castillo
    Cazares for Caicedo
    Fidel for Montero

4. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's going to be tough putting E. Valencia on the lineup right now. Caicedo is finally fully healthy and performed really good. He doesn't show up a lot but his strength keeps the defensive line from the opposing team back. He has a big presence in the middle and helps Bolaños by keeping defenders away. He also recovered the ball well from time to time. I'm happy that there will be competition for the forwards and some depth too.

5. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ecuador vs Bolivia First Half

Ecuador vs Bolivia Second Half

6. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think they should work more on set pieces over both games we've had 20 corners and roughly the same amount of dangerous free kicks and only one goal to show for it. I'm not saying we should score every time but 1 goal in over 40 set piece chances is not great.

7. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    yea were awe full at set pieces very rarely do we create anything from it the corner kick for Erazos goal was actually taken by Fidel when he subbed in.

8. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Anybody see Dorados vs Cruz Azul? I swear Luis Suarez has a mini tri going. I think I saw Castillo, Chivo Suarez, Ayovi, Marcos Caicedo and Rojas for Cruz Azul. Lol

9. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Hey guys, let's try to keep this forum going lol

I waited about a week to post my thoughts, main reason is that I watched both games several times and pretty much I have been busy.

You all know I am not a fan of Quinteros' but I give him a lot of credit specially against Argentina, he planned that game perfectly, The best thing about it is that he changed his original formula and went back to the Colombian school formula which is relying in our wing play, which is 100% correct to me, we have good wingers, let's use them.
    Miller Bolanos I hate the goals he misses (2 against Argentina) but I like how Quinteros is using him, he is no longer our main attack option but a tool, he alternates on both sides y sirve de apoyo towards Montero and Valencia.
    Felipe Caicedo I know I defend him a bit too much, but I cannot be the only one that sees how much he makes our opponent's defense uncomfortable, I think overall he only had 2 good scoring opportunities these 2 games and scored one and got a penalty,but how many defenders did he drag with him? I can't say he must start every game but definitely play every game.
    Montero We all know he dominates the left wing, beats his opponent but dam it man, that cross is weak, seriously, anyone who watches his EPL games knows he can do better, I hope with Enner coming back he has a better target.
    Valencia; What can we say? If he's lit we are a threat to anyone.
    Quinonez: I think we all agreed that he has been our weakest link, he plays on the edge, too risky, worst thing is that we have no one else.

The rest of the guys did as expected, Noboa was a beast and Dominguez solids as usual.

I would like to add that Quinteros seems to have found the way to pressure up, alternates all 3 lines thinking about fatigue, I noticed that at times Miller and Caicedo slowed down and the pressure came frm the wingers and mid.

Last thing...CHIRIBOGA PLEASE PUT SOME MONEY ON THE ATAHUALPA!!!
    PAPELON MUNDIAL.

Carlitos8 repped this.
  10. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Dominguez; Paredes, Achilier, Erazo, Ayovi; Valencia, Cazares, Noboa, Montero; Enner y Caicedo
    should line-up against Uruguay. Defensively Dominguez, and the back 4 have done a solid job thus far. Montero and Valencia provide dangerous wingplay. Caicedo draws and bodies a lot of defenders and Enner is just lethal. Noboa is just a great player to have on the team none of our other midfielders can do what he does. And Cazares adds dangerous long range-shot and knows how to start and finish plays and adds the option of attacking through the middle.

11. Carlitos8

Carlitos8 New Member

May 12, 2015
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I like your line up but a couple of things to consider, Quinteros will not sit Bolaños and not having a defensive mid is almost suicide.

12. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree with most of your points- especially on Montero. His skill is amazing, but that last touch has hurt us for a whiiiiiiiiile...whether it be a shot or a cross, it's always lacking power or any real accuracy. In his defense, I'd have to say that we really don't have anyone on his side that can do the job quite like him- Ibarra could, but not with footwork, just pace. I think we go back to Castillo and try to develop someone else for that position.

13. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Cazres is good but should not be a started yet especially not as a center mid we have never used him in that position before in a national team game. Even worst that this is a game for qualifying.

I like what he does on our offense along with Martinez but I think they should both be our super subs. Always keep in mind that they come in when we have been playing a good game defending and pressuring up front the change of pace and attack that they bring in the last minutes is important. But would be something different if they started which they might not be ready for.

Quinteros would most likely go with Castillo. Quinonez was having injury problems so he shouldn't start him if anything we can sub Castillo in for Alex Bolanos.

Im Pretty sure Quinteros will go with:

Dominguez;
    Paredes, Achilier, Erazo, Ayovi;
    Valencia, Castillo, Noboa, Montero;
    Miller y Caicedo

14. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    A lot of good observations here.

Let me add that Caicedo did great, but we still need Enner for his aerial presence. We really struggled in the first half against Bolivia because the water forced us to play in the air. Caicedo could not outjump the Bolivian defenders, who aren't the tallest we will face. Right now it's a good problem to have, I think depending on the opponent we can use Enner's speed and athleticism, and against others we can use Caicedo's strength. They can also play together but I'm not sure what that would look like tactically because Miller has his spot on lock.

Also I think Cazares is a crack. If he had scored that goal that hit the post he would be signing a contract in Europe this week. His pass to Miller was picture perfect. I really hope he is the next Edison Mendez, although he needs to add some muscle even though he seems to be stronger than he looks.

Finally I have to agree with everyone and admit that Quinteros is convincing me. He is lining up the right players in the right positions and seems to know how to use them. Against Argentina especially we were creating so many chances because he knew their weaknesses and our strengths and the plan was perfect. Also the guys seem motivated and focused, which has always been a problem. His first few games he made some mistakes but he has corrected things quickly and this is encouraging. Well done.

Jefe Esco and barcelonista1981 repped this.
  15. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Uruguay is a whole different animal though.

First of all, Uruguay in the last 4 Qualifiers has been the most successful NT in Quito, these guys know how to play us here. Secondly, they come to Quito in a really comfortable position, no pressure at all and they know that losing here is no big deal but also know that they have weapons to hurt us.

I am afraid Carlos Sanchez will run circles around Castillo or Quinonez and Godin's headers will hurt us, truth be told 1 point would not be the end of the world, we need to not let the pressure get the best of us, yes we are at home and should win the 3 points but let us remember that Uruguay probably has the best counter attack in the continent.

I do not think Cazares should start in this game, this is going to be a tough game, physical, mental and all of the rest, Experience is a key in this one, Now I would love to see what Cazares can do in 90 minutes against Venezuela.

Also, I hope these good results inspire players such as Renato Ibarra, Carlos Gruezo, Christian Ramirez because we will need them this Qualifiers, we have high expectations from them, why is Ibarra benched often in Vitesse? Gruezo should earn that starting role if they want to play in this NT.

Quintero's biggest challenge will be controlling the excitement and the pressure against Uruguay, study them and figure out a way to score on a defense that has not been scored on yet.

16. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Gruezo and Ibarra have been eating bench since last World Cup. I'd rather look at players that are active.

17. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    You are totally right. But I think it could have the opposite effect. Every time we have played Uruguay in Quito it has been a death match, with both sides knowing they can't lose, and the winner qualifying to the WC. In all honesty, I think the mentality of the Uruguayans is much better in that situation. They are a team that plays best with their backs against the wall, they will find a way to win...that's how they got their reputation.

This time both teams feel confident and there is less pressure. I believe this is when we play best, when we are playing in Quito and feeling confident. On the other hand they will have a harder time getting motivated because even though we are a direct rival, they don't see us as a powerful team. I believe they will be thinking much harder about playing Chile in the following match - in fact, don't be surprised if they rest a few players because they are probably hoping for 1 point against us but they need the 3 points at home against Chile.

18. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    These next two games will ultimately fall on Ecuador's ability to defend....the strikers in Uruguay are as elite as they get, and we'll definitely need to see what we can do to tighten up. Our midfield and forwards/strikers are solid, but defense is definitely a concern. We're still not a prolific offense to hope for 2-3 goals a game to win out, so we'll need to make sure guys like Erazo, Achilier and Paredes can minimize mistakes. I don't worry about Ayvoi a lot since his IQ on the pitch is exceptionally high- along with his defensive capabilities he's a tremendous leader.

barcelonista1981 repped this.
  19. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    With the next 2 qualifying game in less than 3 weeks away i think its that time to give a list of who should be called up against Uruguay and Venezuela. 27 players the same amount of player like last time
    Goalkeepers
    Dominguez
    Dreer
    Banguera
    Defenders
    Paredes
    Erazo
    Mina
    Achilier
    Ayovi
    Pinieda
    Ramirez
    Guagua
    Midfielders
    Valencia
    Montero
    Noboa
    Cazares
    Castillo
    Martinez
    Arroyo
    Ibarra
    Gruezo
    Quinonez
    Cevallos
    Mena
    Forwards
    Caicedo
    Enner
    Bolanos
    Garces

20. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Call me crazy but I would not mind Castillo starting this game, his experience can bring a lot to this game, I just saw him play in Dorados and 3 things to keep in mind.
    1) Although he is slow, he positions himself so well in the field that he gets away with being a little slow.
    2)He links up extremely well with Ayovi, Walter uses him a lot as a wall pass to pass the midfield.
    3) He is still an amazing header and I don't know about you but I do not want Quinonez, Achi or Erazo guarding Godin in corner kicks.

LDU4ever, Carlitos8 and Jefe Esco repped this.
  21. Carlitos8

Carlitos8 New Member

May 12, 2015
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Valencis coming out injured, right foot it seems, man I hope its not serious

cabezamagica repped this.
  22. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It has been reported that Antonio Valencia will be out 2 or 3 weeks from an injury sustained in a game against Manchester City and that Gustavo Quintero has asked that he complete his recuperation in Ecuador. This news has yet to be confirmed by Manchester United and the FEF. He will miss out on United's next game.

23. Carlitos8

Carlitos8 New Member

May 12, 2015
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Huge blow, I mean he was huge last time against Uruguay, Caceres from Juventus will eat either Ibarra or Mena alive, I say use Enner Valencia as Right winger (his position with Quinteros originally) and stick with Bolaños and Caicedo up top

barcelonista1981, Luigi408 and GPisco repped this.
  24. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Yes! Valencia for Valencia :thumbsup: