Rebuilding the NT -2018 Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by b9d23m89, Jun 26, 2014.

1. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    May be possible. that's still to be seen. They're probably that one team in the continent that no one really knows what to expect from in this upcoming Qualifier. They'll most likely be tougher than last Qualifier like you said, but who knows if that will be enough. To my knowledge they don't have any figures at that moment that stand out and can lead the team. But with a good coach things can change so you never know. I'm sure we'll get a decent preview between now and Copa America and then of course during the Copa America.

I'm surprised there hasn't been anymore talks about Rueda continuing or not. It's been a little quiet lately regarding that topic. This is the last I heard

Anyone see this video

Ermen Benitez didn't hesitate to say there has to be a change.

2. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    exactly what have been thinking this topic is dieing which is quite worry some i was expecting change or a least new to be the first thing to happen but we have till September for our next friendly el campionato resuming so that a good time for fef to sit and think maybe they are waiting to receive the money from the world cup to start talking about real plans who knows but it doesn't look like the national team is at the top of there list for thing to do at the moment i hope fef doesn't wast all our money on rueda that be a huge let down but there is still a lot of time to see what happens

3. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    the players really did hesitate to answer chiriboga and his buddies would eliminate these guys from the national team if they spoke wrongly about them

4. TrickyCoonVic

TrickyCoonVic Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Just to clear things up around here, Pablo Bengochea is the coach for Peru right now and his contract is up to the Copa America. As for the veteran "stars" we had, the only one for sure out is Claudio Pizarro due to age. Jefferson Farfan will probably still be key to our team being the veteran leader and the other 2 will be role players at most so long as they keep playing consistently in Europe/Brazil. We'll be renovating with our sub-20 that was close to qualifying to Turkey in 2013 as well as some other players Markarian/Bengochea have found. It's the best we got :(:thumbsdown:

What about you guys? Looking at your guys world cup roster, I could see that players like Walter Ayovi, Segundo Castillo, Edison Mendez, and Jorge Guagua will probably need to be replaced ASAP due to age, and I understand Feliipe Caicedo, Christian Noboa, and Antonio Valencia are in some kinda funk?

5. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Thanks for clarifying the Bengoechea situation? The way I had understood it was that if there was some success in Copa America he will stay and that he also had the support from Peru's stars, but of course I saw that in a Phillip Butters video.
    Paolo Guerrero is 30
    Farfan is 29
    Vargas is 30
    I'm not even going to mention Pizarro, but thats pretty high up there, and yes you are totally right about the Ecuadorian players you named, in my opinion we dont even have a replacement for Walter Ayovi, Segundo Castillo who is also 30 will slowly make space for Carlos Gruezo, Edsison Mendez and Guagua really ended up in the final team roster due to injuries from Jayro Campos and Gaibor, thing is 4 years is a long time, injuries, funks, streaks, new players rising it all plays part of the WCQ, I for one care very little about Copa America. but it does give us a whole month to marinate the team. good luck to us all dude.

TrickyCoonVic repped this.
  6. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'll tell you why the silence and lack of decision makings, in January we will be having elections in the FEF, last two times Chiriboga has had no contender so he wins by default, smart money would say expect that again to happen, but he will not make a decision now not knowing if he would be part of the next process.

7. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    What happened to the guys from our U-20 team that made the Round of 16 in the World Cup a few years ago? That generation should be coming of age now right?

8. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    #33 javer, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    yup most of those guys are 23 i really think we should have an u 23 friendly and have that squad with some new faces together it would be so great to see. these guys are the only ones from that squad that have been considered by rueda so far i might be missing some

DF
    narvaez 23 was called up for the game vs the extranjeros of ecuador but got injured
    Mario Pineida 22 same as narvaez

MF
    Gaibor 22 2 caps

FW
    Marcos Caicedos 22 1 cap i think ?vs argentinas b squad
    de jesus 22 5 caps not bad but still a lot for him to improve on
    but these guys need some serious international experience soon and call ups as well
    that is why i emphasize this call up sort of an Olympic u 24 with bone, erazo and valencia being over 24
    GK
    d. cuero
    bone

DF
    narvaez
    erazo
    corozo
    paredes
    ramirez
    Mario Pineida
    Luis Canga
    f. leon

MF
    l. a. valencia
    gruezo
    ibarra
    cevallos
    montero
    Gonzales
    Sornoza
    Gaibor

FW
    Marcos Caicedos
    de jesus
    plata
    penilla
    fidel

9. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That generation and the U-17 that also made the Round of 16 in the WC that same year are going to be the base of this new NT. They'll fall all right into this process at the right time. It's perfect timing if you ask me.

Some players from that U-20:
    -Juan Cazares-right now playing in Banfield, and so far there's good news...they have convinced River to keep him for one more season so that means Cazares will most likely be a starter in first division ball (finally) in Argentina now that Banfield has ascended. (just turned 22)

-Fernando Gaibor- already began having minutes with this NT and has slowly been included in the past few months into this NT. Unfortunately, due to an injury he was not able to be considered for this WC anymore. The few performances he had with the NT I saw some very interesting qualities from him. He has lots of potential. Last season he consolidated himself in Emelec, but this season he was a bit inconsistent but mostly due to injuries. Now in this Segunda Etapa, he'll be back and I'm pretty sure he'll gain his spot back. He just needs to snap back into his best form and I don't doubt he'll be taken into consideration (age: 22)

John Narvaez- Consolidated starter in Emelec. Due to injuries he also wasn't able to start as many games as he would've wanted to this season, but when in full health there's no one that can take the starting spot from him (age: 22)

Renato Ibarra- We saw him the majority of this Qualifier and you guys know who he is by now and what he can offer (age: 23)

Cristian Penilla- he was also part of the U-20 team, didn't play much but as many of you know he is BSC's best player in the attack and has shown very interesting qualities since last season and has consolidated himself as a starter since then. (age: just turned 23)

Marlon De Jesus- heavily criticized by many but I believe he's the best real #9 we have with potential to make it big. He did fail in Monterrey, but now he will be in Puebla so let's hope he has a great season. Fast, very powerful, and has great positioning. Misses a lot of opportunities, but to me that only means one thing- he's at the right place at the right time. He only has to polish his finishing and we got one hell of a player up front to play with Enner. I still haven't lost hopes on him. (age: 22)

Mario Pineida- Good right/left back for Independiente. Probably the best and most consistent one in the campeonato this season. Lots of offensive projection and he's solid defensively. I'd have him in mind as a substitute for Paredes.

Marcos Caicedo- Out of all the before mentioned players, he's probably the one player with potential that hasn't yet consolidated himself. He struggles to have a good entire Primera Etapa, and let's not even talk about having an entire good season. He has his moments in season where he absolutely kills it and I do believe the moment he takes control of that and keeps the consistency, we'll see his true potential. Reminds me a bit of how Enner was inconsistent and now we all know Enner's story and the type of player he is....Marcos just needs to make that transition and believe in himself and we might be witnessing another great player. But only if he makes that transition will he make it to the NT. Now he will be playing in Leon in Mexico so eyes will be on him this season from all ecua's hoping he does well. (age: 22)

From the U-17 here's the other list of players who will be taken into account:

Jose Cevallos Jr- back at Liga de Quito for the Segunda Etapa 2014. Eyes will also be on him to see how much he's improved in Europe this last year and a half. (age: 19)

Fernando Leon- Really good defender who has been on the scene in Independiente consistently since he was 17 or 18. This kid has really great qualities to fight for a spot this Qualifier in the center back position. He was rusty with the U-20 NT in that Qualifier in early 2013, but it had more to do with his confidence. I think since then he's matured playing Libertadores, Sudamericana, and being part of a protagonist team in the campeonato being a fundamental player in Independiente's defense. He has a really great free kick...I've never seen an ecuadorian center back have so much technique and score beautifully like he does. He deserves his opportunity and most likely will get it. (age: 21)

Cristian Ramirez- you guys know him. great player. Might need to gain some more muscle and defend a little better but I really like how he projects himself on the attack. I think he does that really well and his speed is a plus. He is now playing in Nuremburg in the Bundesliga 2. (age:19)

Junior Sornoza- The best mediapunta in the campeonato last year. Scored 20 goals or somewhere around that. Very quick player with a great long shot, he knows how to take a free kick, and very effective on a penalty (he only missed 1 that I can clearly remember, and let me just say he takes ALL of Independientes penalties...he rarely misses a shot). Sometimes gets lost during a game but overall his vision and creativity stand out. Even in his most discrete performances, he shows up in key moments so i'd say that's a plus. (age: 20)

Johnny Uchuari- Very quick play that possess great pace and dribbling. Despite his small physique, he isn't intimidated to take on 2 or 3 players and dribble them all out. Very dangerous on a break away or counter. His performances (goals and assists) in the 2012 Copa Sudamerica speak for themselves. He's the brain of Liga de Loja. Last season he lost of a bit of shine but this season he seems to have turned the "On" button once again. I think the most ideal thing that could happen to him is leaving Ecuador and at the very least going to Mexico where I have no doubt he would stand out. (age: 20)

Kevin Mercado- This season in Liga, especially in the last few games he was getting into top form and IMO there were some games where he seemed like one of the most devastating players we had on the attack. I can tell everyone here that I can bet this kid will make it into the NT this Qualifier if he keeps the momentum going. He left a really great impression in Liga, and unfortunately for us he will be leaving to Granada. I think he actually already left with Gabriel Corozo. But there's great possibilities for him to get playing time in Granada this season along with Gabriel Corozo. (age: 19)

Gabriel Corozo (not part of the that U-17 NT, but he's part of that age group)- Last season in 2013, he was not only one of the best juveniles in the campeonato along with Jonathan Gonzalez (voted the best) and Carlos Gruezo, but he was one of the best and most consistent defenders PERIOD. And that speaks highly of an 18 year old that debuted in first division last year and proved he could play in ANY position in defense. He could play as a center back or carrilero in a line of 3, he can play as a center back in a line of 4, and he can easily play as a left or right back since he manages both feet really well. I've said it once and i'll say it again, if this kid suffers no big injuries early on in his career, we will witness one of the greatest upcoming defenders in the continent. I put my money on this kid and I have no doubt he'll take Walter's spot and fill in for him at a great level. (age: 19)

Other players:

Luis Canga- Started this season in Liga and hasn't let go of the position. He's Liga's best juvenil and although he's had about 2 or 3 games where he had rusty performances, it wasn't all his fault. I think he'll be one of the main options for center back during this Qualifier if he continues improving. This kid is tall, strong, and has decent speed for a center back. Great anticipation skills. For the most part he has impressed me. I think he has a bright future outside of Ecuador, but he'll have to finish off this year strong before I can say anything more about him. (age:18)

Jonathan Gonzalez- the best juvenil of 2013...and he didn't win it that easily. His competition was none other than Gabriel Corozo and Carlos Gruezo, so that speaks highly of him already. At 17 he already was a starter in Independiente y no se achico. This kid plays like a 23 or 24 year old. Lots of potential in this kid and I see him in Europe sooner than later. I doubt Independiente can hold onto him for another year. Very fast and beats his opponents on the wing. I don't even remember Antonio being this fierce at that age. I have a feeling he'll break into the NT during this Qualifier despite him being really young and players like Joao will most likely loose their spot. (age: 18)

Robert Arboleda- This kid began consolidating himself last season, especially in the Copa Sudamericana games which IMO were where he stood out to me. And he's carried that consistency over onto this season and has proved to be playing at a great level for almost a year now. Definitely deserves a chance on the NT for this new process. (age:22)

I may have forgotten a few players, but these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head that are actually considered "consolidated" (for the most part) in their club teams and ready to make the jump and get an opportunity on the NT.

Manolo repped this.
  10. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    All things summed up, we have a great generation of players that aren't considered too young. Most of them around 19-23. And the youngest guys we have who are at the age of 19 like Ramirez, Gruezo, Corozo, and Mercado are all players who will be fighting for a starting spot in first division teams in europe (with the exception of Ramirez who plays in Bundesliga 2). Cevallos Jr. is 19 and has now returned to Liga with experience playing in Juventus' youth system. So we're talking about kids w/ great experience for their age who now will be ready to make the jump to the NT. Even Jonathan Gonzalez who is only 18 has already played 2 international tournaments (Lib. and Sudamericana) and has been a consolidated starter in Independiente for a year and a half.

All the other guys between age 20-23 are players who are now fully ready to play on the NT. They've proved themselves at club level for a while now, so it's time to give them that chance.

This mix of the U-17 and U-20 from a few years back has continued to develop successfully and now we will see them on the major squad. Honestly, the picture couldn't have been painted better and the timing is just right ...we got a year to work with all this. It's not like we have to go searching for players. They're right there in front of our eyes. All we need is a good coach and we can get working.

11. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Great post summerizing all the talented kids coming up. Makes me very happy about the future but at the same time very worried if we don't get a good coach. These kids cannot go to waste with a crappy coach like Rueda. Rueda 'might' have found Ener and played him at his current possition but other than him... He couldn't put together a NT team that was able to pass the first stage of the WC after four years. I don't credit him with anyone else coming into the NT and surpassing expectations. I don't even want to think what a waste he'll be with the next crop of amazing talent coming up. He'll end up putting s h i t t y players that Chiriboga's son controls only even if they are old as hell. FEF don't give a crap about the new talent. They just want to make that $$$$.

12. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm disappointed at the players reaction to the question if Rueda and/or Chiriboga should stay. They are the ones who should stand up for the NT or keep their mouths shut instead of supporting Rueda. They clearly should of known how big of a failure Ecuador was in the World Cup. Main reason is because of Rueda.

Thank you to Mr. Benitez for speaking up! Ecuador's retired players should start taking key possitions in the FEF and start leading it soon. Glad to see him stand up for the NT.

13. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    the day that guys like jose cevallos becomes president of fef aguinaga become coach of the national team Ecuador will truly enter a golden era of soccer with out corruption

14. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Anybody just saw how de bruyne passed that ball and doesn't overdo it unlike Montero ?

15. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    good dam it the people at fef are more than willing to resign rueda the only thing that could possibly happen for him not to stay is he him self denying to resign let just hope the media and fans get to rueda and force him not to sign i cant believe these guy are saying we had a good tournament
    http://www.futbolecuador.com/stories/publica/45711

16. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I've been hearing rumors about a divided team? Anybody hear about this?

17. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    if we put all these guys together we would have an awesome u 23 team i never seen ecuador play an u 23 squad which i think is very needed for us since most of these guys don't get the international experience they deserve the lack of young goal keepers we have getting noticed is bad we have young kids pop up every now and then and then totally disappear the goal keepers that stand out the most to me at the moment are
    darwin cuero (age 19) : played u-17 world cup a couple of years ago and took over walter chaves spot after i think he got injured or something like that not sure why he didn't start in the first place during qualifying when he replaced chaves i saw a much more solid performance with him compared to chaves he was the youngest goal keeper taken to the u 20 recently along side auro fernandez and hamilton piedra had some appearences with el nacional two seasons ago last season hasn't appeared at all although he actually caught ruedas attention some how and recieved a call up a while back and created quite a bit of rumors for him self he gets his chances soon
    hamilton piedra (age 21) : played u-20 recently with ecuador had a couple appearances but did not solidify him self as first choice goal keeper still with deportivo cuenca but has not appeared all last season he might be one of those young guy who disappear who knows
    brian heras (recently turned 19): he had a couple of appearences this season after mora got injured i was expecting piedra to be the gk called up but this kid actually won the spot had a couple decent performances i really hope this kid keeps it up i see more potential in him than piedra right now ill definitely keep an eye on him next u 20 and hope he get the call

b9d23m89 repped this.
  18. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think the media created this w/ whatever Erazo said about Antonio having to apologize to the fans for getting carded in that game vs. France. I wouldn't feed into it.

19. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    In Europe the U-23 is an important part of the NT processes. The problem is in South America we don't have U23 competitions. This point was actually brought up on Codigo Mundial the other night stating exactly what you are saying. They said that certain players in Ecuador sometimes get lost b/c between U-20 and the NT there's a huge leap to make it there and some players don't fully consolidate themselves at club level and end up getting stuck. I completely agree with what you're saying. Players like Dennis Quinonez and Jaramillo are really great examples of that. It's a tough jump from U-20 to the NT but the good thing is that a great number of them from the past U-17 and U-20 teams have continued developing successfully so far at their clubs and ended up gaining a starting spot.

Anyway, I don't think the keeper situation is anything to be worried about. Keepers usually even hit their prime around 33-37. Cevallos was a great example of that. Tim Howard from the US is 35 and in beast mode. Buffon is 36 and still in great shape. Dominguez just turned 27 this past month and Banguera is 28. We got both of them set for another 2 WC's so there's more than enough time for another young keeper with great potential to show up. And Bone isn't bad, he's average and has room for improvement. No rush in that part of the field IMO.

20. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    very true this is why i wish fef or even the coaches would take this in to there own hands with friendlies and as far as gk i want more gk to develop more for the league and then later for the national team as a whole i would love to see Ecuadorian gk in el exterior which hasn't happened in a while and was hoping dominguez makes the move to gremio which tbh seems good a the moment they have a gk near retirement and two extremely young and un experienced gk so dominguez shouldn't have to much trouble becoming first choice gk. thoughts on an u 23 line up ?

21. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It sucks Jaramillo fell off the map smh Dominguez is solid and will further improve as he gains more experience. That being said I think Jaramillo had all the tools to be an even better GK. Its good to see that some of the U20 kids from 2011 are ready to make an impact at the senior level. Barring injury, Pineida, Narvaez, Gaibor, Cazares, De Jesus, and Penilla will all be part of the process to qualify for Russia 2018. Those are just the kids from the 2011 U20 Team. The kids from the 2013 U20 team are also close to being ready for NT duty.

22. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    last i saw of him he is not even playing any more it be a miracle if he were to reappear again

23. PABLITO

PABLITO Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Great article, I hope the Ecuadorian media and social media over there, can stir up enough pressure on the FEF. We need change and fast!!

¨El cambio en la presidencia de la FEF es inminente, es necesario, es vital para el futuro del fútbol ecuatoriano”.
    Eduardo Granizo,expresidente del Centro Deportivo Olmedo.

¨La solución se dará cuando el señor Chiriboga decida dejarnos en paz”.
    Rodrigo Paz,directivo de LDU.

¨Cómo podemos pedirle a la Selección que clasifique a la siguiente fase, si hay jugadores que en sus clubes no cobran más de siete meses. Todo esto tiene que ver con la organización del fútbol ecuatoriano”.
    Juan Carlos Burbano,exmundialista.

http://www.lahora.com.ec/index.php/...-1/‘El_cambio_es_inminente’.html#.U7SrZKhdDVh

24. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    this is exactly what i want to happen for well regonized people to speak up against chiriboa and for it to circulate the media on twitter face book youtube every thing build the pressure for change to happen hopefully this gets more people speaking

PABLITO repped this.
  25. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Amen! I love Rodrigo Paz. That old man has major balls to always speak up compare to any Ecuadorian I've ever heard. Great man. Dude is a legend. I seriously admire him and his attitude.

The rumor is that Rueda might be in line to coach Colombia if their coach quits after the WC! Please let this be true!!!! Also there is already lots of pressure on Chiriboga it seems and not just from the fans anymore. The elections I think are next year. It's a perfect time to get his ass out of FEF! I just don't know how the elections work. Anyone know?

PABLITO repped this.