Rebuilding The Azzurri for Euro 2024 and beyond

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Mar 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mario parisi

mario parisi New Member

as roma
    Italy
    May 24, 2023
    Giovanni Fabbian scored today for Bologna.
    20yr midfielder on loan from inter.

Rossonero23, johnny6 and Azzurrifan87 repped this.
  2. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, and also nice to see Fazzini score yesterday. Both Fabbian and Fazzini graded out very well this week. Good players.

3. lt22677

lt22677 Member

Napoli
    Italy
    Jul 10, 2022
    No, perchè ha giocato in partite ufficiali nelle nazionali giovanili olandesi se avesse avuto la nazionalita Italiana prima di giocare quelle partite si poteva fare, ma dato che allora non aveva la nazionalità Italiana anche se la prendesse adesso non potrebbe giocare al massimo potrebbe giocare per la Nigeria (almeno penso bisogna vedere come sono cambiati i regolamenti FIFA in merito)

No, because he played in official matches in the Dutch youth national teams if he had had Italian nationality before playing those matches it could have been done, but since he didn't have Italian nationality then even if he took it now he wouldn't be able to play at best he could play for the Nigeria (at least I think we need to see how the FIFA regulations have changed in this regard)

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6379 falvo, Nov 27, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    non sono sicuro ma non credo...

la Fifa ha deciso nell 2020 che i giocatori potranno cambiare nazionale e lui non ha mai giocato con la sua nazionale maggiore.....

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Estero/18-09-2020/fifa-giocatore-cambia-nazionale-3802079966742.shtml

I don't know but I don't think it applies to youth national team players any longer and he never played for the Dutch senior national team.

5. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #6380 AGomes, Nov 27, 2023

Interesting enough more Serbian's prefer Mitrovic to Vlahovic. Derided him that it was his first goal for club or country since September.

Also, he is capable of so much more (see his Fiorentina numbers) but that clown in charge suffocates any bit of Attacking play.

6. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    LOL, what? The Oranje will Cap him soon. Is this the USA board? Jeesh.

7. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    How dumb is it that 18-21 year old Italians struggle to get playing time in Serie A,.but a 15 year old can play for Milan.

thorus repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6383 falvo, Nov 27, 2023
    The Netherlands haven't capped him yet though and if Italy can, they should pick him right away.

Also, I'm the first one who wants to ban all foreigners!

With only 4-5 Italians per each top Serie A team rosters though, if you can't beat them, join them or at least have them join us!

Mateo Retegui had never been to Italy until now and has 4 caps and Joshua Zirkzee has been wokring and living there going on two years...

9. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    I'm worried that Milan will burn him out and he turns into a Pellegri, let him develop with the under 19's, he shouldn't play in Serie A again until he's 18..I don't know what Udinese are doing with Pafundi, but it's not good and they are hampering his development.

AGomes repped this.
  10. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #6385 AGomes, Nov 27, 2023
    Cause Swiss Chocolate got hurt on International Duty and old man Giroud was really yelling at clouds but the Ref mistakingly thought he was getting yelled at so he took a Red. They were short options. Although I read some accusations that it was a publicity stunt.

11. azzurri06

azzurri06 Member

Apr 4, 2007
    san francisco
    Maybe Mancini is to be our next Materazzi. Chip on shoulder and all. Bring as a CB sub for next Euros and fate might make Mancini another unlikely hero-villain protagonist.

Raspadori to be this generations Schillaci?

12. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The major difference is Retegui has Italian blood on both sides of his family.. not 100% but still mostly Italian blood.

I do not support poaching Zirkzees. He may be good.. but why even go down that road. He's got less goals this year than Scamacca and Pinamonti.

13. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    #6388 Vieri#9, Nov 28, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    The thing is, Materazzi started bc of Nesta's injury. We all knew he was the clear cut 3rd best CB. Would Mancini be our 3rd best CB?

Spalleti really needs to solidify our starting CB pair. Italy always had world class defenders without question would start. Thistl time its different. Bastoni, Acerbi, Buongiorno, Gatti, Scalvini, Mancini. He keeps trying different combos bc he is unsure. There are no clear cut starters, hopefully Mancini decides well before the Euros so they can practice pairing together.

14. lt22677

lt22677 Member

Napoli
    Italy
    Jul 10, 2022
    No, vale quello che ti avevo detto prima dato che Mounir aveva al momento delle presenze nella nazionale giovanile aveva già la doppia nazionalità spagnolo-marocchina se invece avesse avuto solo la nazinalità spagnolo allora il cambio non avrebbe potuto farlo

No, what I told you before applies given that Mounir already had the dual Spanish-Moroccan nationality at the time of his appearances in the youth national team, if instead he had only had Spanish nationality then the change would not have been possible

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6390 falvo, Nov 28, 2023
    Retegui was or is maybe a third a generation Italian born and raised in Argentina.

I think the first time he stepped foot in Italy was when he was capped by Mancini.

Per wiki, his maternal grandfather Angelo Dimarco emigrated to Argentina from Canicattì.

His father's grandparents on one side of the family were also Italian, specifically from Genoa (the other were Basque, hence his surname).

My parents were born in Italy but I’m from California.

I don’t really consider myself as being Italian , even though I lived there, have dual citizenship and can speak with a Tuscan accent.

If anything, I was never considered to be a true Italian in Italy or the USA and was always out of place.

I mean I’m Italian -American but still live think , act, dress , eat , drink and watch TV like an American.

I have or had virtually nothing in common with any Italians , even when I lived in downtown Florence.

In regards to goals, Pafundi , whether being only 17 or not, has never scored a goal yet as a professional.

16. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Pafundi hasn't scored because he is getting such little playing time.

As for Zirkzee, we might as well start trying to cap Mbappe. I just don't believe in capping someone with zero connections to Italy. Retegui actually does have significant Italian blood and he did spend a summer in Sardegna as a kid. Given that Italy recognizes citizenship based on blood, I can understand why Retegui could be capped. But, guys like Zirkzee have no connection. We might as well abolish national team play if any country can pluck any other player with zero ties to that country. Just my opinion.

AGomes, calabrese8 and lt22677 repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6392 falvo, Nov 28, 2023
    Inutile spiegarlo perché questi ragazzi non hanno mai visto l'Italia e non sanno nemmeno cosa vuol dire essere italiani oppure italianità.

purtroppo saranno sempre stranieri da cima a fondo.

italianità s. f. [der. di italiano].

– 1. L’essere conforme a ciò che si considera peculiarmente italiano o proprio degli Italiani nella lingua, nell’indole, nel costume, nella cultura, nella civiltà, e sim.: i. di un modo di pensare; scarsa i. di un costrutto sintattico.

2. Più com., l’essere e il sentirsi italiano; appartenenza alla civiltà, alla storia, alla cultura e alla lingua italiana, e soprattutto la coscienza di questa appartenenza: i. di sentimenti; l’i., e i sentimenti di i., di Zara, Trento e Trieste durante la dominazione asburgica.

lt22677 repped this.
  18. lt22677

lt22677 Member

Napoli
    Italy
    Jul 10, 2022
    La situazione non è se è/o si sente italiano un giocatore, ma come la FIFA/UEFA definiscono elegibilità di un giocatore e il fatto delle nazionali giovanili è per impedire che nazioni come Qatar e Arabia Saudita facciano "Shopping" di giocatori, prendi il caso di Cudicini al tempo di quando era portiere del Chelsea qualcuno aveva affermato che poteva giocare per l'Inghilterra, ma in realtà NO perchè aveva giocato delle partite ufficiali in U21, metto riferimeti

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2257155/cudicini-would-consider-england

Guarda (international Career)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Cudicini

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    si ma a parte il fatto di regola, prima o poi succederà che o li convochi tutti (stranieri) oppure nessuno perché non ci sono più rimasti italiani in Serie A.....e questo si vede in ogni partita di campionato....

dovrebbero mettere un limite una volta per sempre (come diceva un vecchio saggio).....

"e che non se ne parli più"! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

20. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #6395 AGomes, Nov 28, 2023
    Unless Italy get out of the EU, that can never happen.

Anyhow, let's see of the measures brought in this past summer improve things. We will see any improvements in a few years.

21. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #6396 AGomes, Nov 28, 2023
    @falvo

Nobody here insinuated that Retegui was completely Italian as somebody born and raised there.

Did he commit to the Azzurri to advance his club career? Of course. Certainly nobody here likely thinks otherwise.

22. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    And yes, Udinese are right b@stards.

Not only do they start 10 Non-Italians week in and week out, they don't even let their 17 YO prospect play in the 2nd Team. Just have him with the 1st Team collecting splinters at the end of the bench. If I had my way these mother********ers would be out of the league.

thorus repped this.
  23. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Whatever the case, need Retegui back healthy. Want to see that link up play with Albert from the land of ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs flow. Right @Rossonero23 ?

Rossonero23 repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6399 falvo, Nov 28, 2023
    My main point is, sooner or later, the Euro and World Cup tournaments featuring domestic nationals that Jules Rimet initially had in mind, won't have any meaning or even apply.

Therefore, it's either they start picking a Serie A all-star team utilizing all or mostly foreign players or run the risk of not qualifying as was the case in 2018 and 2022 and which almost happened in 2024.

Again, if it were up to me, I’d ban or put a limit on most of the foreign players on the pitch and I think FIFA, UEFA or at least the FIGC should strongly consider it.

I mean if they want to employ them on the roster, fine but put a limit of how many can play on a weekly basis.

25. nunzio23

nunzio23 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jul 16, 2021
    He's scored 2 goals in very limited minutes...he was only in there due to the formation change with Orsollini out and it's not like an Italian manager can actually play more then a few italians together when they are healthy!

AGomes and calabrese8 repped this.