Rebuilding The Azzurri for Euro 2024 and beyond

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Mar 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azzurri06

azzurri06 Member

Apr 4, 2007
    san francisco
    Scamacca overall for me mixed performance. Was mostly poor but had a 10 minute or so block where he had some really strong lay offs with defenders crawling all over him. DiMarco was caught being a spectator for one that Scamacca teed up perfect dead center top of the box, put Kean in a great position right when Kean came on and a couple others where he showed good strength with so so passes. Still feel his potential ceiling is higher than Jack Jr's. And yes, his tats fa skeef

2. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Pagelle

One site has Chiesa and Buongiorno as the top performers.

Zaniolo and Cristante (namely for the contact) as the worst.

3. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #6203 AGomes, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    POT 1 OPPONENT

Will be 1 of: Germany, France, England, Belgium, Spain, Portugal.

Would prefer to avoid France. Sick of England and Spain, who incidentally won't have Gavi. I love Spain the country but I really don't to be bored to tears with 700 3M sideways Passes. Have played Belgium 3 times since Euro 2016 and won over 90 Minutes each time. (16, 20, 21 UNL SF). Germany is the Home team and I don't care what anybody says, is still very formidable but is THE European Classic. Portugal. In the words of Mou: I prefer not to speak.

Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  4. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You should have seen the Slovenian pitch today :eek:

5. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Oh man.

Smaller nations with less rotation, these things are an issue, it seems.

6. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Not to be a downer but I'll just write what I wrote before.

Don't think it's Italy's time to win this tournament and I will still watch it, of course. They could indeed but it just doesn't feel it. However it was imperative to Qualify.

7. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    I think the only way we get bumped to Pot 3 is if Wales sends Croatia to a Playoff.

8. azzurri06

azzurri06 Member

Apr 4, 2007
    san francisco
    If he had half the work rate of Osimhen...

Kean too was playing some half ass defense even though he was fresh, is young, needs to earn his playing time and the game was in the balance. I couldn't believe how lazy he looked a couple times trying to jog around just enough in the middle in hopes to not get caught dogging it. I really want Kean to break out as he has great assets, but like Scamacca, he is keeping himself held back with his own nonsense.

Then you have our boy Chiesa making a stop near the touch line in our own half and on the right side deep into the match! We do not deserve him. But thank God for him

Carl Eto and AGomes repped this.
  9. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    I noticed that Kean incident as well. Freshest guy out there and he's coasting on that play practically waving as the Ukrainian goes by him. He needs to be snapping at their heels.

Managers their Assistants and supporters see it.

All of us have written at one time or another, things will be better when Chiesa returns and we have seen this window how correct we all were. Best player (this time with Buongiorno) in both matches.

He ran himself in the ground. So much so that he was sucking wind and committed an unnecessary Foul out of sheer exhaustion.

10. nunzio23

nunzio23 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jul 16, 2021
    This is also why Barella is the jewel of this team. 90 minutes full bore and still sprinting and admonishing Scamacca to follow him. Total machine.

AGomes, Carl Eto and calabrese8 repped this.
  11. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They qualified

Now the tournament has legitimacy.

No italia, no party. And even if they suck balls, you still get the best anthem 3x.

DOctore13 and Azzurrifan87 repped this.
  12. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m scanning social media now. Many people think we robbed it with the PK not given at the end.

13. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    @'Uaglio

I saw extended hi-lites and the Scamacca incident you wrote of again. I guess he thought if he went to the net, Chiesa's pass would have been too close and an easy pickup for the Uke GK. TBF, the chance wasn't that egregious.

14. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Good Game, guys.

AGomes repped this.
  15. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Respect. See you at the Finals Tournament.

Ukraine will get past Israel and Bosnia.

16. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Prefer Isreal qualifying. Their cause is just and righteous

17. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is Belgium not the laughing stock of all of Fifa? How many chances will they get coasting to a top seed for literally no reason.

18. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    They won their Qualifying Group.

Again, these Pots are based on these Qualifiers only and not FIFA Ranking, past tournament Results, etc.

19. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    But yes, given the choice of all Pot 1 teams, I'd prefer to face Belgium.

We've faced all those teams in numerous meaningful matches the last 30 Years except 1 -- Portugal. We are due to face Portugal. Have had many near misses of almost playing them.

20. azzurri06

azzurri06 Member

Apr 4, 2007
    san francisco
    St Pius X would disagree

21. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Agomes,

The problem is that Scamacca started his run too late on that play. Had he attacked the near post and been willing to use his left foot (which he hates to do) then he could have tapped that in. I do concede that the Ukraine defender was tugging his jersey though. I missed that at first.

There was one play in the 2nd half where he passes the ball with the outside of his right foot which was awkward but still a decent assist attempt. Point is...he should have just used his left.

On another play there was a through ball to his RIGHT foot in a great position in the box and instead of shooting, he passed it backwards. I couldn't believe it. I'm all for a striker who can hold the ball, but you have to bury those in the center of the box.

22. Carl Eto

Carl Eto Red Card

Real Madrid
    Qatar
    Oct 4, 2023
    I cannot reveal
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #6222 Carl Eto, Nov 21, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    Italy will welcome being drawn into Belgium's group even if they have a smarter coach this time around.

This was more the case when Roberto was coaching the team. He would never take my calls. I know because after one ring it would go directly to his stupid voice mail "Hi, It's Bob, I missed your call because I'm busy with my onesie at the beach or dreaming of keeping my lineup the same and winning a second Euro in a row!" He was still a little drunk on his success.

I had good ideas for him, but he was a very self centered man. You can tell by the way he kept his looks up so well. He spent more time tactically deciding his wardrobe than his lineup.

All is well now because Luche is smart and he answers my calls. He asks all the right questions and he will take advice, sometimes modify it, but he listens at least.

That is all you can ask from your pupils. One day the student becomes the master. Lucky is the man I fear the most.

Gianluca is not as lazy as Mario was, but also not as skilled. I have faith in Gasperini. He will light a fire under Gianluca's ass.

This is true. They have done nothing wrong to no one at any point in their history and existence, but they will fail because Ukraine is better.

23. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    ------------------Donnarumma--------------------
    Di Lorenzo---Bastoni---Buongiorno---Spinazzola
    -----Barella----------Locatelli----------Jack-----
    Berardi---------------Raspadori---------------Chiesa

24. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Correction to an earlier comment:

Can't experiment in the UNL as the next edition doesn't commence until AFTER the European Championships. So any experiment with Colpani or others will have to wait for the next International break in March.

Now that Italy are not sent to a Playoff they have suddenly become available. Obviously those in charge at the FIGC need to line up opponents. Will try and have a look later to see which NT's don't have commitments on those days.

25. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    And given how a PK could have been called in the 92nd Minute if the Ref was in the mood, a backdoor Playoff is well worth having in your hip pocket.

Need to go after it in the next UNL edition as well as it helps with 2026 Qualification.