Rebuilding The Azzurri for Euro 2024 and beyond

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Mar 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    ROTFLMAO!!!!

2. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Raspa to me is still the best option although it's tough against packed defenses.

Carl Eto and gumbacicc repped this.
  3. nunzio23

nunzio23 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jul 16, 2021
    The commentator mentioned that Spaletti was yelling at him repeatedly during the match. I'm a big fan of Scamacca as well but he will either get with the program or GTFO

4. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LMAO go look what England does against Malta and Macedonia without penalties being handed out to them.

johnny6 and calabrese8 repped this.
  5. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Why exactly did Zaniolo start in a major match? It's like having 10.5 players out there. Scamacca then brings it down to 10 players.

gumbacicc repped this.
  6. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Jorginho just earned his place on the euro squad now.

7. Pambiero

Pambiero Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Mar 21, 2021
    We are in Euros guys!

8. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    If that English-language commentator was bad, the guy doing color commentary next to Fabio Caressa (don't think it was Lo Zio Bergomi), was even worse.

How is that a PK when the football was gone 3 Meters PRIOR to the contact and simulation?

Because in Serie A is it a stonewall PK all the time. This annoying stop-start, whistle-happy Referees and pundits that call every little coming together. That is not a Foul in no other league. But this clown is saying it's a PK because of what he's used to. For a minute even had me sweating that it was. Yet the Uke's are calm and not going ape shit, nor was the Ref called over to the monitor.

9. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    now we can all breathe.. as can Luciano.

He'll have some time now to construct the roster / formation as he wishes leading up to the Euros.

The long term focus /goal should be qualifying (and winning) the World Cup in 26.

AGomes and Every Four Years repped this.
  10. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I do worry about how if this was a wc qualifying cycle, we'd likely be looking at a playoff. But, there is time. Honestly the only thing we can really control is winning as many meaningless friendlies and nations league games as possible, and then Belgium our way back into the good graces of FIFA.

11. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Table

If we have to be fair, this was the projected final standings and so it finished this way. England are currently more advanced. Things may change by June/July. Ukraine proved a tough nut with stubborn players, and MKD had a raging hard-on to play us. Malta were alwaya going to finish in 5th.

12. Carl Eto

Carl Eto Red Card

Real Madrid
    Qatar
    Oct 4, 2023
    I cannot reveal
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Fella's I just came out of deep meditative prayer. We have been delivered from evil.
    Amen.

I am going to watch the game now and come back with my insights.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  13. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    So Berardi should have played instead of Zaniolo?

Tell you what. He better get going with his club or he won't make the team.

Really want to see Colpani get Minutes in the next UNL cycle and push Zaniolo.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I'm thrilled we qualified and happy to have discovered a real young central defender for the future (Buongiorno). But, I'm really angry with Scamacca's effort tonight.

There is one play around the 75th minute where Chiesa beats two guys on the wing and serves a beautiful cross on the ground. Scamacca is so late to react it looks like he's on drugs. If he even makes a half decent run to the near post, it is a TAP IN. WTF?

Scamacca is on my shit list until further notice.

azzurri06 and calabrese8 repped this.
  16. Carl Eto

Carl Eto Red Card

Real Madrid
    Qatar
    Oct 4, 2023
    I cannot reveal
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't worry. I will be working with Spalletti. His idea of pushing Dimarco centrally when we are moving up the pitch to give Jorginho more options up the middle was mine. With Chiesa on that side able to track back with pace, this innovation keeps other teams from widening and gives Chiesa a lot of space.

It almost worked 3x today.

Rossonero23 and azzurri06 repped this.
  17. nunzio23

nunzio23 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jul 16, 2021
    I thought Zaniolo has a pretty solid first half but he felt a little sure of himself later in the half and the Ukraine LB bodied him on a one on one. In the second half he just dissapeared.

I too am baffled that Berardi was not even dressed for this game. I get that Ukraine is physical but Berardi is fast and technical. We linked up well with his Chiesa and Rasp the game before.

AGomes and thorus repped this.
  18. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Zaniolo can't last more then 20-30 minutes because his conditioning is poor.

thorus repped this.
  19. Carl Eto

Carl Eto Red Card

Real Madrid
    Qatar
    Oct 4, 2023
    I cannot reveal
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Kane handball in the first meeting between the teams, but they gave him the penalty. So they can fack off. I mean, get fuxcked. Sorry, I mean, they can shove it up their ass.

Rossonero23 and thorus repped this.
  20. nunzio23

nunzio23 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jul 16, 2021
    Played well but gave up a REAL dangerous ball in our end near the end. Our midfield is still in good hands when completely healthy and without Tonali. Barella, Frattesi, Loca and Jorgi are all starter worthy in my eyes. Pellegirni when healthy as well but you know how that goes.

21. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Acerbi isn't going anywhere so on the Left side of the CB pairing, is Buongiorno ahead of Bastoni?

22. azzurri06

azzurri06 Member

Apr 4, 2007
    san francisco
    Will Zaniolo go his entire career getting contracts and call ups based on his 'potential' but never actually delivering a consistent end product? If so, might be up there for a top grift contender with Alexi Lalas being the defacto American expert commentator for life because he played a season in Serie A and was on the US 94 WC team

AGomes repped this.
  23. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Thank You. This is going to be an interesting player to follow the rest of this season.

24. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Skopje

Read a report that the pitch in North Macedonia was just as bad today in the match against England as it was when we were there in September. Shame on UEFA to allow this.

25. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #6200 AGomes, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    Pots will be based on these Qualifiers. So we are what? Pot 3?

Just watch. We'll get Albania and/or Romania. Their fanbases will want to beat us badly. Then probably Montella's Turkey. Wouldn't mind smashing them again like last time.

EDIT: am now reading Pot 4. Had it been a Win versus Ukraine Away it would have been Pot 3.