Rebuilding The Azzurri for Euro 2024 and beyond

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Mar 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pinamonti redemption arc?

Azzurrifan87 repped this.
  2. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think he should get in the squad in October....and get a start as well. Go 3-5-2 with him and Chiesa, or 4-3-3 with him, Chiesa on the left, and Berardi on the right. Anyone who thinks Berardi should be left off the team for Politano or Zaccagni is crazy.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  3. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Zaccagni has been playing great and he’s a left winger. Politano is a sub at best. Berardi might be Italy’s best option at RW but with him it’s the Immobile effect. We’ve never seen THAT Berardi for Italy. He should have moved to a big club when he had the chance

4. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Watching Lazio Monza. I usually like Ciurria but he make a criminal foul in the 18 that led to the PK. I’m watching El flaco Colpani very closely.

Good to see that Sarri has realized that Guendouzi is a better player than Kamada. He needs to discover Rovella in the same way.

calabrese8 repped this.
  5. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    About Casadei.

It really is about finding the right club to take the next step.

U20 WC MVP and he can't even get Minutes at a EFL Team.

Meanwhile, Luca Koleosho, younger, was nothing more than a bit player for the U19 Team and Vincent Kompany has him starting every match for Burnley in the PL.

6. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I mentioned Zaccagni primarily if Spaletti ever decided to commit to a 3-5-2. I think even in that formation Berardi can thrive. Obviously if Spaletti chooses to stick with a 4 3 3 then we would need to bring more wingers, but I would still start Chiesa on the left first and foremost.

AGomes repped this.
  7. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    TBH, I thought that was a dive by Zaccagni.

Better written, if there was contact it was because Zaccagni dragged his leg to make sure he was run over.

immobile converts his PK and hits the post. Something tells me he'll be there in October.

8. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #4408 AGomes, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    More Italians currently ongoing in the North London Derby than a Bologna v Udinese match could offer. Or by Cagliari for that matter.

- Jorginho came on to replace an injured player, Declan Rice, and... really don't know what was going through his mind, but he coughed up the ball and Spurs go down the other way to score. Ridiculous how fast his level has dropped. There are turnovers at Midfield that eventually lead to a goal, but rarely one like this one where the last defending player back attempts to sidestep a pressing opposing player.

- Destiny, nothing noteworthy. Maybe his Booking.

- Vicaro. OG beat him on the first one. 2nd Goal was PK. I honestly don't know what the handballl rule is anymore. Vicario dove to his right, Saka down the middle. Go figure.

Elsewhere, Zaniolo played 75 Minutes in a Win by Aston Villa.

9. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Relgation wish list

1. Bologna
    2. Udinese
    3. Lecce

AGomes repped this.
  10. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Cagliari are no better. Look at them pretending how fancy they are.

11. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    I guess to make up for this, Zaniolo, Tonali, Udogie, Vicario, Kolesho,Emerson all start on their respective clubs.

12. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Those Italians in the PL are just off-set by the English players that are in A.

These numbers are too high. Little wonder why the NT suffers.

13. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    lackluster Sunday for Italians so far. Only thing is Di Marco, mistake vs Ukraine or not, must start every game for Italia.

Gnonto ankle surgery and out for at least a month.

14. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Di zerbi had a good day

15. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #4415 AGomes, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    October Window:

Confirmed missing are Scamacca and Willy.

I watch a bit of the PL and try to look at Results across Europe if I can. MOTM performance today by James Maddison in the NLD. (not to be confused by the former US President). This on the back of being the leagues Player of the Month in August. Hat Trick for Kane yesterday. Strong Saka performance today. They definitely have a few players in a rich vein of form. Rodri got himself a straight Red Card so City likely will see playing time for Kalvin Phillips. St Jude's doing excellent for Madrid.

John Stones out for them. I think Declan Rice hobbling.

Where we have Ciro Immobile who is wanted out, their version is Harry Maguire so that evens out.

Honestly shouldn't be concerned about Malta but sometimes you never know. The match in England shouldn't be a must Win but I would like to match or better what Ukraine earned against them (1 Point of a possible 6).

Good part is they really don't need this match so it will only be natural if they aren't up for it and be content with a Draw.

And bubblewrap Chiesa. Best Italian player these days.

16. azzurri06

azzurri06 Member

Apr 4, 2007
    san francisco
    Don't know him well, but from the first half V Roma, Buongiorno has been a beast. He has essentially castrated Lukaku the first 45

17. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    You jinxed him.

indestructible repped this.
  18. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Bologna finished the match with 3 Italians, surprisingly. Ex-Italy player Lorenzo Di Silvestri, Calafiori, Orsolini.

Was listening to Antonio Cassano bemoan modern football. Speficially about how influential Agents are on who plays where and how often. His example was Jorge Mendes. Which made me think of Wolverhampton in England. How on earth is it possible they have more Portuguese players than English players is an utter disgrace. They don't even try to hide it. Goes on to comment how another Jorge Mendes client, Renato Sanches, despite being injured all the time, always finds himself on the Books of top clubs.

Italy's solution for more Italians in their own league: an Italian super agent that caters strictly to Italian players.

19. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This weeks "Made in Italia Goals of the Week - Giornata 5A"

1. Federico Di Marco vs Empoli
    https://x.com/musagete10/status/1705921828772847647?s=20

2. Mimmo Berardi vs Juventus:
    Sweet one time curling strike from the top of the box

3. Giacomo Bonaventura vs Udinese:
    Well placed strike from just outside the box... i also gave him some "bonus" ranking for the beautiful assist earlier in the match.

AGomes repped this.
  20. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What in the world do we do with Jack. He's 34 and galloping up and down the field like a prime midfielder. Do we keep the door closed? He would be 36 by the time WC qualifying starts. He doesn't make matters easy by playing like prime Dino Baggio every week.

21. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #4421 AGomes, Sep 25, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    Kudos to Jack but I think it's wise not to recycle players that have been out of the setup for a few years.

Of the Convocati from September add Scammacca, Pinamonti, if you want Berardi (even though he's had many chances). Drop Immobile. Don't care about Darmian. Probably Yes.

This should be the team that WILL Qualify despite the haters wishes. Then all out for 2026 Qualifiers.

Off topic and different position but telling you now to keep an eye out for Matteo Ruggieri to battle Cambiaso and Destiny to be backup to Dimarco for 2026 Qualifiers. 2024 will be too soon. I like what I see! No shortage of Minutes by Gasperini. League and European matches. He's getting the Minutes that Cambiaso isn't at Juve.

22. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I said plenty of times that we really need to play Berardi as a false 9 up top with Chiesa! Might not be the most ideal option, but he’s better than any striker we have currently, and he’s at least proven and we know he’s a really good player.

This is my starting lineup for now:

-Berardi-Chiesa-
    -Di Marco-Frattessi-Locatelli-Barella-Cambiaso-
    -Bastoni-Acerbi-Di Lorenzo-
    -Donnarumma-

Darmian, Tonali, and Raspadori as super subs.

23. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Basta per favore... basta!

non piu Giocatori fuori ruolo.

johnny6 repped this.
  24. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #4424 indestructible, Sep 26, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    People forget that it was Sarri who turned Zaccagni into a left winger. At Verona he played centrally behind the striker in a 3-4-3. I don't see where Berardi plays in 3-5-2.

I agree that Chiesa is the ideal left winger and Berardi might be the best right winger we have right now. But as I've said in the past, he's a different Berardi in the blue shirt

Azzurrifan87 repped this.
  25. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What's happening at Napoli right now should be encouraging to Azzurri fans. Players who thrived under him have returned to looking average. The strength of Napoli was the team game and now it's lost.