Alert: Rebroadcast of classic Quake games on NBC Sports Bay Area

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by staudio, Mar 22, 2020.

1. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See the full broadcast schedule below and click the game link to read the match recap.

Check your local cable provider for channel listings of each broadcast.

Watch on NBC Sports and the NBCSports
    Saturday, March 21 - NBC Sports Bay Area - 2pm Earthquakes vs. DC United - May 2, 2012
    Sunday, March 22 - NBC Sports Bay Area - 2pm Earthquakes at LA Galaxy - May 23, 2012
    Thursday, March 26 - NBC Sports Bay Area - 8pm Earthquakes at Real Salt Lake - June 23, 2012
    Saturday, March 28 - NBC Sports Bay Area - 2pm Earthquakes vs. Real Salt Lake - July 14, 2012
    Tuesday, March 31 - NBC Sports Bay Area - 8pm Earthquakes vs. Seattle Sounders - August 11, 2012
    Saturday, April 4 - NBC Sports Bay Area - 2pm Earthquakes vs. Portland Timbers - April 6, 2019
    Tuesday, April 7 - NBC Sports Bay Area - 8pm Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy - June 29, 2013
    Saturday, April 11 - NBC Sports Bay Area - 2pm Earthquakes vs. Sporting KC - August 19, 2015
    Sunday, April 12 - NBC Sports Bay Area - 2pm Earthquakes vs. Toronto FC - July 16, 2016
    Tuesday, April 14 - NBC Sports Bay Area - 8pm Earthquakes vs. Vancouver Whitecaps - March 11, 2017
    Saturday, April 18 - NBC Sports Bay Area - 2pm Earthquakes vs. Minnesota United FC - October 22, 2017

Beerking, QuakeAttack and don gagliardi repped this.
  2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While nice, the classic games that I would want to see mainly occurred between 2001-2005.

Boysinblue, bsman and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  3. The Terrier

The Terrier Member

May 26, 2008
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Great Comeback, Nov 11, 2003 is on mlssoccer.com at 5PM today. It does not get more Quakes classic than that!

don gagliardi and bsman repped this.
  4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Watching right now. Why is it only in Spanish? And at that, it's the ********ing Galaxy Spanish announcers...

FYI, Alex Prus, the referee talked about this game every time we met until his retirement.

Beerking repped this.
  6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because that was the only live broadcast of the game. Local Spanish TV in LA.

There were replays that showed it with LA's English radio call (there was no radio in San Jose, either), and Fox Sports World produced a replay with Max Bretos pretending not to know what was going to happen.

don gagliardi and bsman repped this.
  7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Geez - I'd forgotten what a little diving bitch Carlos Ruiz was...

Beerking and don gagliardi repped this.
  8. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    My gosh that was a rough game. With VAR there would have been numerous reds. Agoos just cleated Moreno in the nuts.

porkrind, The Terrier and bsman repped this.
  9. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Also surprised that the whole game was played in front of both goals. Like neither team had a mid-field (or the last 15 minutes of a rec league game).

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ale spent a large portion of the game on his back. :D

11. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched it and I'm trying to remember did the ref ever give out a yellow to anyone....? Very psychical match.....

12. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game had everything! Divers in yellow, tricky free kicks and midgets in the midfield.

[​IMG]

13. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That was fun! I had forgotten that Roner scored with his first touch of the game. (I just read on Wikipedia that he now goes by his first name--Thor.) I didn't realize that the stands behind the south goal were almost empty. WTH was up with that? I had also forgotten about the sodden field. It's amazing that the EQ players were able to keep up that tempo all game. It was really nice to see Mulrooney in peak form again--I always liked him.

14. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A couple. The first went to Tyrone Marshall, who would have earned 3 or 4 more by today's standards.

15. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When I saw Faria in the stadium, bent backwards onto the back of his legs on the ground after he scored, and the team dogpiled on top of him, I remember being amazed that he got up from it unhurt. Seeing it on TV again doesn't make it any easier to understand. He must have been super flexible and his lungs full of air to survive that!

From a distance now of 17 years the level of play doesn't look too good, but the looks on the faces of the Galaxy players made up for it.

That was some game... :thumbsup:

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Links to some first-hand accounts of the game can be found here. :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Typical back then. The rag tag mostly teenage band of a dozen or so Ultras hung out there. I was also there for the second half.

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #18 bsman, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    This was my reaction - posted just after getting home from the game:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/s...9-postgame-thread-r.81384/page-4#post-1791362

It's incredibly hard and sad to note that about two years after this moment, the (then Supporters' Shield-winning) San Jose Earthquakes would be ripped out of San Jose and given, lock, stock, and barrel to Houston under the false pretense of "needing a soccer-specific stadium" - something that wasn't accomplished until FOUR ********ING YEARS LATER!!! :speechless:

The perfidy, double-dealing, and outright lying by AEG must never be forgotten nor forgiven.

Beerking, Quakes05, due time and 2 others repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes. Greatest single sports spectacle in San Jose history.

Also, your point about how celebrated the match would have been if it had been a mainstream sporting event is well-taken.

The Buffalo Bills happen to hold the record for greatest comeback in NFL history, also in the playoffs (and there are other eerie parallels I won't bore you with here), and as a Bills fan I understand quite well how differently the two events were treated by the respective hometown communities.

The Mercury News didn't even send a photographer to record the event, whereas I still recall one of the letters to the editor in a Buffalo sports rag about the Bills comeback in its immediate aftermath: "It's been called one of the greatest things to happen in American history."

Yes, that is an apt description for the Quakes' Comeback. November 9, 2003: a date that will live forever as one of the greatest in American history. :)

Quakes05 and bsman repped this.
  20. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I thought I saw what looked like a young Don in the crowd. I think it was just as 2nd half was starting. Could it be?

21. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Got on the way back machine and wondered what I would have said in the post game thread...and....nada.

Sure, I had four rug rats raising hell at home at the time, but that really is no excuse. I'm so ashamed!

I did get a kick at seeing the names of some of the old posters. Actually quite amazing how many are still here on BS Quakes board.

bsman repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was never young at heart. :)

Seismothusiast repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So when you were a somewhat less dried-out husk of a man? :devilish:

don gagliardi repped this.
  24. The Terrier

The Terrier Member

May 26, 2008
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2003 MLS cup final Quakes v Fire at 5:00pm to day on mlssoccer.com. I'd like to see the Western Conference final as well against KC, but I guess we can't have everything.

25. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Had to watch this one, too. I had forgotten how good Mullan was, particularly in beating the first defender. He was crafty.

And I also forgot what a nightmare game that was for Roner! OMG.