Rebranding in our future?

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by MPoole, Apr 14, 2012.

1. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this has been brought up about a million times, but I was at the Backs web store and I noticed something odd. There are 7 items with the traditional Silverbacks logo. There were 17 with a new logo that has nothing to do with the Silverbacks.

[​IMG]

2. Atlanta-manunited

Sep 29, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the hat but there's nothing about the Silverbacks on there. Just looks like a generic ATL hat.

3. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excatly my point. There is nothing about the Silverbacks, but this comes from the Silverbacks store!

4. JSilver

JSilver New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Agreed. I like the hat.

You sound concerned about a rebranding. But at a glance, I think this makes perfect business sense. A have plenty of cursive "A" hats representing the Braves. It may feel a bit like putting the cart before the horse, but looking forward this style will be cool. I even mentioned to my wife that I would wear this hat even if I had no idea who the 'backs were. Think about the Oakland Raiders marketing strategy. Every gangsta rapper in Oakland plays the black and silver; football fan or not. There are plenty of other examples of marketing meaning more than play. I hope that doesn't happen here, but it will be fun to see if this logo has legs.

Edit: on another note the polo jerseys (like Chacon wore last night) are great looking too. The marketing is ratcheting up pretty well it seems. Much better than I remember when I was in Atlanta.

5. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a small Silverbacks on the back of the hat.

6. JSilver

JSilver New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    That makes me like it even more. Gonna order one for my tiny, misshaped head right now.

7. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I thought when I saw it at the merch table on opening day. It's also why I didn't buy it. Some of us S-backs fans don't give a rat's ass about "the ATL."

8. Atlanta-manunited

Sep 29, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see that. If that's the case then I might get one.:)

9. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better pictures on the website would be nice.

10. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone noticed that the Chiefs shirts they are selling on legacy night feature a partially revamped logo? The "Atlanta Chiefs" wording was not designed that way in either version of the classic Chiefs logos. No idea if this means they intend to keep this logo around, but I can hope, can't I? Lol...

11. The Earl of Lemongrab

May 23, 2012
    Johns Creek, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the Apollo's appreciation night?

Thanks for one glorious last place season!

12. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    If they do rebrand to the Chiefs, I hope they'll go with something that looks more like the first rendition(1967-72). I never was all that crazy about the cursive "Chiefs" because it looked more like minor league. Maybe they can retool the old logo similar to what the new Cosmos did. The logo they show on the 'Backs' website would look better if "ATLANTA" was on top. But that's just me.

13. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    The Apollos were essentially the Chiefs, but with a new owner, who owned both the Flames and the Hawks at the time. Most of the players who were on the Chiefs' roster were also players for the Apollos (Manfred Kammerer, John Cocking, Ken Bracewell (player-coach of the Apollos), Alan Hamlyn, Nick & Alec Papadakis, Paul Child, Art Welch, to name a few). The Braves had returned the franchise to the NASL after the 1972 season, and the owners of the Flames & Hawks picked it up, and changed the name. They were also the same colors as the Flames and the Hawks, who switched to red, white, and yellow, after being green and blue from the time they had moved to Atlanta in 1968 (I guess the Flames wearing green, blue, and white would have looked rather weird :laugh: ) .

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On twitter they are saying they will let fans vote on the team.

15. Permanent4

Permanent4 Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid waste of energy by the front office. Why not fix the on field product and WIN some games. NOOO, let's change the name to an old name that BTW many now consider racist. The NCAA and just about every High School association have dropped the Native American names and logos and these bozos are going start using one.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vote silverbacks, is less racist.

18. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Write in vote...Atlanta Apollos!

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Apollos had a bad ass lookin logo too. I could go for Chiefs or Apollos. Still has some historical significance as well. McGilla Gorilla just isn't doing it for me, lol. I emailed them and requested they add Apollos to the poll. Might not hurt for others to do the same.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could be the new logo.

It would show they care about the environment.

[​IMG]

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do Italians and the environment have to do with each other?

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They make better Indians. Just like Puerto Ricans make for better Mexicans in the movies.

23. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]