Rebooted USWNT Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, May 18, 2019.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if you want to be a real pro, you have to separate club and country paywise.

Wondering if they want to push for NWSL salaries equal to MLS salaries too. Would not surprise me.

I hope, whatever happens, that the WNT won't be a "closed shop" anymore. But I'm not holding my breath.

2. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Feel free to explain your viewpoint, chuckles.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't give a crap about NWSL salaries. None of them would pluck a hair for their dear sisters.

They want money to be bestowed on THEM. Morgan, Rapinoe, etc. Screw NWSL.

ust one time I'd love to see a national reporter speak the truth on this.

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Pretty sure this is totally unnecessary hostility, but I could be wrong.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant their NWSL salaries. Not anyone else's. I doubt there's much of a "sisterhood"....

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not aim high? Go for the equal supply of Van Winkle.

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Van Winkle is bourbon.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it probably doesn't go all that well with a splash of tonic and a lime wedge.

8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    That ship sailed.becky-sauerbrunn-uswnt-cba-talks-nwsl-usmnt-relationship

“We’re trying to figure out where women’s soccer is going, so we may not have the same exact structure as the men,” she said. “So equal isn’t the right word. It would be equitable, because we are asking for a different structure.”-Sauerbrunn describing the agreement that she is now suing.

Timon19 repped this.
  9. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To paraphrase Orwell -- They are looking for equal contracts, but their contract more equal than others.

CybrSlydr and Salacious Bum repped this.
  10. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I am cranky today, I’ll admit that. I also drank most of a bottle of gin last night….

Correlation does not mean causation!

11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Equal is a matter of quantifiable fact.

Equitable is in the eye of the beholder where.the argument boils down to " its not fair".

Which is the plaintive wail of the ten year old.

puttputtfc, CybrSlydr and Salacious Bum repped this.
  12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Well, US District courts are courts of both law and equity. Though the latter means something different in the law than it's current usage on college campuses.

TrueCrew repped this.
  13. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ng-xi-lineup-notes-tv-channels-and-start-time

If anyone wanted a younger lineup:

Maybe they finally got the memo.

Bill Archer repped this.
  14. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    That was the first time in nearly a decade every starter was under 30? Crazy. The men have played a total of two players over the age of 30 this entire WCQ cycle, by my count. One is Zardes, who was only a month over 30 in his last appearance, and the other is 34 year old Tim Ream who was 33 when he made his only appearance so far.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope some of you can take a few minutes to watch the game tomorrow vs. Australia.

They won 3-0 on Friday night but that wasn't really the big thing: the news was that they started a bunch of younger women, green as grass and pretty much strangers to each other who should have been worked into the lineup 5 or 6 or 7 (literally) years ago but the sisterhood wouldn't permit it.

They actually capped several new players. Imagine that.

And they were terrific.

Casey Murphy (first cap) is the second coming of Hope Solo. Just wow. WotM and it wasn't close.

If we can retire the granny brigade in the next couple of years, Purce, Huerta, Hatch, Williams et al. Played...what was that game again? Oh yes, soccer. Instead of Heath on the wing to Rapinoe on the other wing, they took it right down the middle, just jammed it down the Matildas throats.

Best game I saw all week.

Retire the blue hair brigade. Lets do what the Swedes and the Germans and everybody else does - let the kids develop between cups. Lavelle, Ertz, Horan etc. will still be there if we need them. But there's serious young talent reaching their late 20's who aren't even getting into camp.

16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New goalkeeper was stellar. Really kept them in the game the first half.

Announcers keep making a big deal about Horan taking over the 10 shirt. I'm not all that enamored with her as the field general to be honest. I like what I've seen from Sullivan there more.

Hatch looked good up top.

I'm not high on Lin Williams. I think Pugh has been coming in to good form lately, I'm curious why she declined the call up.

For my money, Ertz is still the best player in the game. I know she's not flashy, and has been a little inconsistent lately (possibly due to injury), but she can still dominate a game like no one else. But I agree, play the kids, she'll still be there if no one else steps up over the next few years.

I don't know that I agree with that regarding Lavelle though. Lavelle is flashy, but I don't know that she's consistently at starter level yet. She may either be better suited for a super-sub type role, or she probably needs more time in her position/role with the team.

Bill Archer repped this.
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Batshit crazy with awful nudes?

puttputtfc and Bill Archer repped this.
  18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Purce is 26, Huerta 28 and both have been shut out due to contracts, not quality. I don't think either qualify as grannies and I'm glad they are getting a chance.

She was fantastic for sure. Speaking of players being shut out, I doubt Aubrey Bledsoe ever gets a chance even though I think she has always been superior to Harris.

I'm hoping we bring in more players. The reboot of the USMNT has me excited and the same thing can happen on the women's side.

19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was pretty much what I meant. I butchered the punctuation. Purce and Huerta were exactly who I meant.

Here's an interesting factoid: of all the players on the 2021 NWSL All Star team, only one (Horan, second team) has been capped prior to this weekend.

Ridiculous.

Best story line: Mewis of the US and Kerr from the Aussies are in a relationship. Somehow, the announcers didn't mention it.

20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I thought it was the time you spent in Stark County. We both know 28 is a legitimate age to be a grandma.

Bill Archer and Timon19 repped this.
  21. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1072 Bill Archer, Dec 13, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    As I understand it, it's a bit more complicated than that.

Firstly, they have reached a short term deal until March 31 which includes no strike/lockout.

And it's not a contract, only an MOU.

The big thing is that it removes the requirement that in order to play for the USWNT and thus draw a USSF paycheck, plyers have to play in NWSL. Now players can sign elsewhere, ie. overseas, with no limits and still be eligible for the USWNT. (but they won't get the salary)

In other women's news, the NWSL has an expansion draft coming up and Megan Rapinoe is unprotected. But she won't be taken.

soccerncbus repped this.
  23. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fairly sure I've mentioned similar, but if she doesn't get drafted by an expansion team, if even for the infamous "locker room mentorship" role, it's time for her to hang them up.

Other federations have made huge strides in the women's game and the USSF needs to realize the days of 6-0 over whoever are done. Just today, NBCSN had a women's Barcelona-Real Madrid game on. Live, FWIW. The fact that those two giant names are investing in the women's game should say things.

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I wonder if this is a signal there will be fewer USWNT games. I can't imagine any club wants to pay top salary for part time players.

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6-0 results aren't going to happen as frequently anymore, but let's not kid ourselves -- there's still a lot of countries who are way, WAY behind in the women's game. Let's not forget the Thailand result in the last WWC.