Reasons why to watch/play the Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RobtheAggie, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    That's the joy of only speaking Spanish at a second grade level like I do. I just watch the match and don't bother with the commentators.

2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    martin fischer beat me to it...

..it's soccer

3. dude8

dude8 Member

Apr 2, 2002
    phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"...it's the US men's team playing soccer."

fixed your post.

4. Colo-Colo

Colo-Colo New Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Maybe if Bruce Arena knew as much as Tom does about the history of psychology...

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely you jest or are not living in the USA. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes have been on every talk show, popular magazine, and newspaper.

6. dude8

dude8 Member

Apr 2, 2002
    phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    free katie holmes.

7. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Looking back at the 2002 Gold Cup, you see that many players made their claim on the US Roster for Korea in that tournament. Arena puts a lot more emphasis on these games then we think.

Pablo Mastroeni, Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley, and Frankie Hejduk all solidified their places on the roster through their play that year. Meanwhile, Arena used the Gold Cup to decide that guys like Jeff Cunningham and Ante Razov weren't going to be a continuing part of his plans.

So if you're curious to see what the US Roster is going to look like for the near-term future, you should pay attention to this tournament. Guys like Clint Dempsey, Conor Casey, Marcus Hahneman, Santino Quaranta, Brad Davis, Oguchi Onyewu, Jimmy Conrad, and Tony Sanneh will all either play themselves into a long-term role with the US Team in the next few weeks, or they will find themselves on the outside looking in.

The group stage doesn't excite me that much, even though I do plan on being in Seattle to watch us throttle Cuba and Canada. But I am hoping that once we get into the knockout phases, we'll get a chance to see some better competition and see how our players react. I don't particularly care for the Gold Cup, but at least we get to watch our guys as a team in action. And we get to see if a few new faces to the team step up and work themselves into the roster.

In short, I'm watching for the players involved. That alone is worth it to me.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    BINGO!