Reasons why to watch/play the Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RobtheAggie, Jul 5, 2005.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is serious.

1. Winning anything is good for players confidence.
    2. Beating Mexico.
    3. Fifa points, Confederation tournaments worth more than friendlies.
    4. Possible movement to a seeded team for WC.

Others ...

I understand all the negative aspects, but what are the positive ones?

2. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    get experience playing vs quality players.

3. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clubs play in their league, for national "open" cups, in regional tournaments, etc... National teams play in their regional qualifying, hopefully in the World Cup, and in regional championships.

Are some competititions more "important" than others?! Sure.....but I'll take watching the USMNT in the Gold Cup over a regular-season MLS match every time. A good level of talent with national pride on the line almost always make for an entertaining game, and this will be the best soccer played on US soil until August 17........

4. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    Reasons to watch: John O'brien

Reasons not to watch: Same (the prospect of him getting injured again is scary...)

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If this tournament is ever going to grow - and Lord knows, it needs to - the bigger teams in the region have to take it seriously.

If the US doesn't take it seriously, this thing has no chance.

Some may say the Gold Cup packing up and going way is not a bad thing, but I think every confederation needs a championship and it should be a big deal and well run. Right now, the Gold Cup doesn't meet the bill, but for all it's troubles, it sure as hell isn't going to get better if the US starts bailing on it.

6. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    The reasons to watch:

JOB
    Dempsey
    Davis
    Quaranta
    Noonan
    Conrad
    Gooch

The reasons not to watch:

Sanneh
    Armas
    Wolfe
    Pope
    Vanney
    Hedjuk
    Casey

7. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    If he gets hurt, it'll be at practice. He never makes it to the game. I don't understand how in the world he played in every WC02 game.

8. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but at the same time, to be taken seriously, it will need to be re-designed. No guest teams and hold it every four years opposite the WC would be a start.

9. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

I will boldly predict that you will want to switch Casey to the other list after this tournament.

I hope I'm right.

10. cvilleva

cvilleva New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Cville Va
    Reasons to Watch:
    Because its the US National Team -- no other reasons needed

Reasons not to Watch: because unless you live in one of the top 30 metro areas in the US, you can't.

11. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides the obvious "watch my nation's players in action" "see us win something":

-To watch young players grow up at NT level and perhaps show they belong and/or deserve further chances.... UNfortunately, out of this particular group/roster of US players, I do not see too many players to do that.... (maybe Dempsey and Quaranta - the latter honestly would not be in my five top forward callups, despite his youth-)

If someone mentions it's about FIFA WC seeding points... one then would have to wonder why no Copa America, no serious try in Confederations 03, etc... So to me that reason is BS.....

12. revfan11

revfan11 Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Yes, I agree, I really want to see Casey get a chance as the man in terms of goalscoring. I like his physical play and hope he can take advantage of his opportunity.

13. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I think we should just cyrogenically freeze O'Brien to preserve him until the World Cup. Then we'll unfreeze him the day before our first game. He'll spend the night in a padded room and he'll be ready to go the next day.

In the meantime we'll hire Orlando Bloom to pretend to be John O'Brien and play for ADO Den Haag.

14. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    It needs to have qualifying too. Then if a team doesn't take it seriously they will get knocked out early on and the actual Gold Cup will have the teams who fought hard enough to get there. Europe makes all their teams qualify for the Euro Cup and look how that goes, everyone sends their top teams because they spent so long fighting to qualify, there is no point in sending a B-team or whatnot. Asia and Africa also make their teams qualify for their cups and they are a lot more competative and taken a lot more seriously than either Copa America or the Gold Cup. I'm not sure how the Gold Cup is set up right now, but I think only a handful of small Caribbean teams have to go through qualifying to get into it. All the Central American, North American, and Guest teams get in automatically. Put all these teams (even us and Mexico) in qualifying and I think we will see the competition taken more seriously, because the teams actually had to earn their place there.

We could even keep the guest teams, but make them play qualifiers against each other. Tell South Africa if they want to participate, they have to beat South Korea in a home/away aggregate. Same with Colombia, they have to face Brazil, or whatever, to get in. Then the guest teams will take it a little more seriously as well, since they also had to do a little work to get in.

15. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    the reason to watch GC, there's no EPL matches going on right now. ;)

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a bunch of whiners. The reason to watch is because it is soccer. If that is not reason enough, ...

17. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    A perfect post.

18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the media took the Gold Cup as seriously as the took a missing kid or the Michael Jackson trial or Tom/Katie, then we'd take it more seriously. Some how we need to convince the fans, teams and media that this is just as important as Tom and Katie!

19. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI

I hear you but in the middle of WCQs? Against a collection of B teams?

Who are Tom and Katie, btw? I'm serious.

20. MT mojo

MT mojo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Montana
    The top reason to play is that you might get the chance to kick Mexico's SS. :p

21. hellsknight

hellsknight New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Garland, Texas, USA
    All the Caribbean teams have to go through qualifying through the Digicel Caribbean Cup, and all the Central American teams have to qualify through the UNCAF Nations Cup. The only teams that don't have to qualify are the North American teams (Canada, Mexico, USA) and the guest teams (Colombia, South Africa)

22. Fire-Chop

Fire-Chop New Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I would think Casey has more in common with the reasons to watch than the reasons not to.

He certainly is not a known quantity on the wrong side of the hill in his career like the other reasons not to watch.

23. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    Potential matchups that would have been great in World Cup qualifying that didn't get to happen in group play: Honduras v. Panama, Honduras v. Trinidad & Tobago (Honduras has to have a major chip on their shoulder being stuck in the same group at Costa Rica and Guatemala in the real thing), Panama v. Costa Rica, United States v. Canada, Jamaica v. Guatemala (Jamaica's got a lot to prove too).

And those are just the confirmed ones. It's like filling in the gaps of the "what if" scenarios.

24. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Reason to watch

US national team
    semi finals and maybe the finals if the US is in it

Reasons not to watch

most of the Concacrap teams are involved
    its a concacrap event
    univision and telefutura Pro mexican attitude
    South africa..
    The gold cup is really a sad sad friendly cup..

I am not at all excited about the gold cup I love the US national team but I will not watch its group stage matches or any game until the semi finals and the finals and thats only if the U.S. are in it if they are not then no need to bother with this no prestigous cup.....

25. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Same here those commentators suck with mexican bias coments.