Real Salt Lake

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Tokonta, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Utah Royals it is.

I’m just glad that their predominant color is yellow/gold. I’ve been praying for that color in the NWSL for years now.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  2. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just rip my heart out a little more....I'm not saying the move didn't have to happen bc it did...but naming the former Kansas City team the Royals is not helping my deep depression at the moment.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  4. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #29 FawcettFan14, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Wow, this logo/color scheme is better than I hoped for! We needed a good "gold themed" team since the league's inception -- WNY toyed with yellow but never used it as a primary color. Now we just need Portland or Seattle to shift to a more green-hued look to complete the color wheel. Hope they choose gold as the home kit; there was a tweet earlier this week showing a gold fabric jersey.

I love how they incorporated the royal theme of the men's side without copying it. The colors and design are "grown-up" looking. The lion is way cooler than the North Carolina lion. The subtle use of Delicate Arch is my favorite touch -- a nice iconic, local detail. To be honest this is head and shoulders above even RSL's look. Shows Hansen and management is taking this seriously.

BalanceUT and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Yeah Seattle incorporating green and moving to a better pitch is at the top of my wish list right now

FawcettFan14 repped this.
  6. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    I'll be here all week, folks!

blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I now expect some North Carolina fan (@CoachJon, @BlueCrimson, @babranski) to chime in! :giggle:

And anyway, the Royals-Courage clashes will now have the flavour of a leonin battle! :laugh:

Am I the only one reminded of Metro Goldwyn Mayer? o_O

8. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    May the best lioness win! Yes, I thought of MGM too.

Things we learned about Laura Harvey in this video: she is a fan of the Utah Royals theme, as it reminds her of the British monarchy and her fave Queen Elizabeth. :D
    https://www.rsl.com/utahroyals

blissett repped this.
  9. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    In my dream world, Predmore would have purchased Memorial Stadium and installed a better turf pitch, a la Providence Park. But it's only a dream. With the school district ownership and their future plans it is inevitable the Reign will need to move.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    blissett repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have liked everything on the RSL side so far, both FO and fans. Every fan of RSL I know is excited to have an NWSL team in the organization and planning on attending matches. I am sure there are plenty of people who are less-than-enthused about women's soccer, but all I am seeing so far are people excited for more good soccer.

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I heard the KC news, I thought of you. I feel your pain. I think we NWSL fans invest more deeply emotionally in our teams than other sports fans, for just this reason - we are never sure that our team will be there next year, so we hold on tightly.

Myrtle, BlueCrimson and blissett repped this.
  14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

5,000 season tickets would be more than all independent teams, active or not, have ever averaged total.
    2,000 season tickets is already more that CHI'13, NJ'13, NJ'14, and (notably) KC'17.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, they're expecting to be at 3,000 pretty soon.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a good long-form interview with the RSL people who committed to the team, from Four-Four-Two "Inside the Royal Wedding: How Utah's NWSL Franchise came Together in 15 Days." One of the parts that gives me the most hope is them talking about their transitioning vision, from having the women's team essentially partner the Real Monarchs USL team to having it partner RSL:

"[The Monarchs are] a minor-league model. You’re doing the fun, crazy Star Wars nights. You’re doing all those sorts of [things] to get people out to that.

As we thought about it, that’s not what the women’s team is. It isn’t. It’s the best national team in the world, so we should treat it like that. We should market it like that."

Owner Del Loy Hansen credits the Portland Thorns/Timbers and how Merritt Paulson models the partnership.

TheJoeGreene and lil_one repped this.
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And NCFC and NCC are treated equally within the organization. It was really interesting seeing the two teams completely support each other.

TheJoeGreene and Ismitje repped this.
  18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even though I'm still semi-skeptical about the long term viability of the league, could this be signaling the beginning NWSL's 2.0 renaissance to partially mimic the MLS version that took the league from fledgling to solidified and even thriving in some places?

That Royals logo is pure class and stating that you want to model yourself after the most successful franchise in the league is hopefully a pretty good sign.

While we're at it with the lioness theme, tweak it a little to add Orlando into the mix and you've got a nifty little cup to decide during the year.