Real Salt Lake and Real Madrid...

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by smackdowntay, Apr 10, 2009.

1. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Real Madrid to play DC United, plus other internation matches

Doesn't matter to me who we play in friendlies....I get the season tickets just to have tickets for the full season and keep my seat. Anything else is just extra. That being said, I sure wouldn't have a fit if they got someone like RM to come over for a game.

2. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Depends on how big a loss leader it is. Selling a suit at a 10% loss because you'll make it all up and more on the accessories that are sold with it at 100% markups is a good deal. RSL would lose much more on RM this season than they could make up through other revenue streams being pumped by RM's appearance.

For DC the math is very different. They have a 90K+ seat stadium to sell for the RM game. No, it isn't their stadium, but it is great advertising to a community that is very down on the franchise due to recent attempts to curry favor for a stadium. This game may be used as a sales tool to get the stadium built, much like the RM game was used by RSL for the same purposes. Furthermore, DC's current stadium could hold many more fans, so the advertising could help even in their current situation. The ceiling on sales for RSL is much lower.

I have no idea how this works for Toronto unless RM isn't charging them as much because they want to get a foothold of marketing into Canada.

But, for this year... you can have your RM game but no RSL next year because the finances of the team busted or you can not have RM game this year but have RSL in the future because the team finance are in good shape.

Furthermore, his may not be entirely in RSL's control. The original agreement was made with a manager who it is alleged is involved in myriad misdeeds, some involving team finances. For all we know, the deal he talked with RSL was one that was workable as a loss leader for RSL, but when the new management team took over at RM maybe they didn't want to give RSL the same kind of deal, making it infeasible for RSL.

IMO, MLS and its franchises do well to dream big, but to continue to act fiscally responsibly. The downfall of the NASL was that it dreamed big and acted fiscally irresponsibly. Over time, as the MLS fan base grows and solidifies, MLS will be able to take greater financial risks.

Until then, we have to be content to recognize that top international teams will only come to the US to the extent that they make money or see an expansion of their marketing to the US occurring.

RM has to act responsibly in this regard. RM can't possibly look at the smallest market team in the US (number 49 ranked metropolitan area, next smallest is KC at number 29) as their best use of resources, not if they are responsible businesspersons.

3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How many seats are there at BMO in Toronto? It can't be that many more than at Rio Tinto. So how can TFC afford for RM to come play, but RSL cannot?

Another thought to consider is that RM will probably never play a game at Rio Tinto. If they come back to Utah for a friendly, the game will almost surely be played at Rice-Eccles or Lavell Edwards stadiums.

4. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

Not to pick nits, but most useful data out there will list the SLC Metro area right at or above KC in size and influence (around #30). Any sheet that ranks SLC @ 49 is most certainly excluding either Davis/Weber OR Utah County.

For example: http://www.arbitron.com/radio_stations/mm001050.asp

Like I said, a trivial detail that really doesn't dampen your point any, and really serves no purpose other than to allow me to type something. And yet, here it is.

5. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

This is probably a pretty good assumption. Still - I'm curious regarding the specific financial details, not that we'd be able to discover a whole lot. We're told by the RSLFO that a friendly with RM wouldn't be economically feasible, but I suspect that RM is now significantly less interested in a partnership with RSL than we've been led to believe.

I'm too cheap to buy the old Des News and Tribune articles, but I'm fairly certain the total economic impact for the game was in the range of $13 million. RSL obviously doesn't receive the entire $13 million... but that's a lot of cash for one event that RSL could conceivably leverage with other local businesses. Also, if RM is already going to be in the states for other friendlies, the marginal cost of playing RSL in Salt Lake is significantly lower than if RM only came to Salt Lake. Lastly, RSL and RM have a 10-year partnership agreement - it's a slap in the face that RM isn't coming to Salt Lake as part of their 2009 USA tour. As if last year's cancellation wasn't embarrassing enough.

I understand the economies of scale are different for DCU and that Toronto is a much bigger market than Salt Lake City, but you're making significant assumptions about why it would work at TFC and not RSL. It's still a slap in the face. RM is a strategic partner with RSL - not DCU or TFC.

Also, your argument regarding the choice between having an RM friendly or having RSL move to another market is a red herring/fallacy. No one is advocating that RSL host RM, regardless of the financial situation. If TFC can host RM, why not RSL? Per the Trib article, quoting RM's current Director:

In other words, RSL is branded after a team that it doesn't give a sh*t about it.

Sure. The previous director may have been a douche bag; but that does not negate RSL's agreement with RM. Per the Trib article, quoting David Checketts:

Obviously no one know but RSL and RM know the terms of the agreement, but I assume it's still a valid contract and that RM promised to play a friendly versus RSL in Salt Lake City. It could be that you are right in that it may not be mutually beneficial to enforce it's terms... but I suspect RM is well... an unwilling "partner."

More red herrings/fallacies. No one is saying MLS = NASL. No one is saying MLS or RSL or RM shouldn't be financially responsible.

RSL is a dizzy whore that branded itself after a team that could not care any less. Everything RSL ever does or ever will do basically advertises for RM. It's truly an embarrassing "partnership."

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

has a MLS team ever changed its name? I know SJ did, but that was after they left the league for awhile right?
    So could RSL change its name while still in the league? I find it embarassing to be named after a club that doesnt even recognize us...
    Maybe we could get the everton name (since they seem to be the one international club that does respect us at least a little)

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, they were the Clash and then the Earthquakes before the move to Houston.

Also:
    KC Wiz to KC Wizards
    NY/NJ Metrostars to Metrostars to Red Bull New York
    Dallas Burn to FC Dallas

and the Colorado Rapids added the 96 after their name on the new badge, but I'm not sure that was ever an official name change.

8. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ReAL Salt Lake to ___________??

This could get fun...

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ReAL is a ridiculous name for any American club, but I think we're stick with it.

11. milesfoxx2005

milesfoxx2005 Member

Nov 8, 2006
    The Netherzone!!!!!
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

here are my 3 terrible, Euro-inspired names:

Salt Lake City Town

Intermountain

Basin and Rangers

can you do worse while being equally "clever?"...I think not...

12. JesusKreis

JesusKreis Member

Nov 15, 2008
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasatch Front FC
    I don't know why but it sounds good to me, kind of a Crystal Palace-like feel to it.

13. Ditto

14. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    I still like:
    Salt Lake Highlander FC.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salt Lake Wednesday Football Club...

16. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasatch-Cache Forest FC

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what i really wish they would do is be simple with it.
    Salt Lake City Football Club/Soccer Club

18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Inter Mountain United

19. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's awesome! SLCSC. Very nice. But, I don't think it comes of the tongue as easily as RSL.

20. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Should venerable NYTimes to be believed today?
    • Real Madrid will play three games on a North American tour. It will play the M.L.S. clubs Toronto at BMO Field (which will get a temporary grass surface) on Aug. 7 and D.C. United at FedEx Field in Landover, Md., on Aug. 9. Real will play an additional game, which has not yet been announced, but could be against its M.L.S. namesake, Real Salt Lake.
    Doubt it.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA at the rose bowl
    Chicago at soldier field
    Seattle at their place (this would REALLY piss me off)
    Dallas at the new cowboys stadium
    etc etc
    we are WAY down the list, though them playing at TFC gives just a little hope

22. Scadzz

Scadzz Member

Apr 2, 2006
    f=956
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Zion FC, Zion SC
    Wasatch FC/SC
    Royal Salt Lake
    Highland Utah

Just a few, though I truthfully hate the idea of re-branding. How stupid must have the name Utah Jazz seemed years ago, but now it just works. We just need time at this point. (And maybe a few wins) My biggest problem with the current name is that it says "Salt Lake". To me you should broaden the name to include an entire fan base, not just the larger percentage.

That being said...GO RSL!

As for RM, I'm with RSLFM...doubt it. If they wanted to come here they would have chose the All-Star game.

23. ryno007

ryno007 New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Draper, UT, USA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that says to me is that NYT was able to come up with absolutely zero leads on the third match, but they had to put something that seemed logical.

Given our current situation, the WCQ is my only saving grace for buying season tickets this year. RM would help, but I still doubt I'm getting them again. Anybody wanna buy some Club America tickets?

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can someone explain to me how/why we didnt get any gold cup games?

25. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're kidding right?

Sorry, but can't fault the front office for this one - Club America, the MLS All-Star Game and priority to the World Cup Qualifier?

I was a bit disappointed in the Everton selection - but more-so because we've seen them before - But will still be fun to see the MLS All-Stars play.

But securing Club America absolutley fulfills the promise to Season Ticket holders to bring World Class football to SLC - even with a less-than stellar season for Club America - Great job by the front office on this one.