Real Salt Lake and Real Madrid...

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by smackdowntay, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ryno007

ryno007 New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Draper, UT, USA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's going to be one of the [VERY few] shortcomings of the RioT - it's just not big enough to be a serious revenue generator for those kind of matches. And since RES is turf, they'd have to do the same song-and-dance with bringing in grass (which looked awful to me, but I was pretty high up), and it's not that great a stadium in the first place (when compared to places like FedEx, Invesco, Qwest, etc.). Plus I'm sure the no-beer thing doesn't help!

2. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That's why Utah will never be the site of a World Cup match even if the United States does get to host again. Budweiser is a World Cup sponsor and so of course they won't go for any venue that won't serve their product and quite frankly, money talks and bullshit walks. The World Cup is as much about making people money as it is about soccer.

The RioT is exactly what RSL needs for league matches, it's not cavernously huge with lots of empty seats but also lots of high, fixed operating costs.

It's also a great concert venue because it's not so huge which is perfect for Utah.

3. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has kind of felt that way the last two matches... it should go away though.

4. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was on BTS today and i dont know if anybody else has reported on it yet, but it is a very insightful and fascinating article about the relationship of RSL and Real Madrid. Good find by BTS. Worth the read!

Unrealistic duo - Salt Lake Tribune

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we wont see any power house names here until the stadium gets an expansion into the 30k and above range. Even then it will be hard to bring them in as we live in utah. I'll take my 20k sss over RES, but it has its costs for sure

6. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great read - thanks for sharing - I've been wondering about this for a while.

Amazing how many things change over time - It seems clear to me that the academy is lost - That is disappointing.

Anybody remember the initial sketches of Rio Tinto that I believe had a hotel development on the south end, over-looking the stadium?

7. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. The hotel is supposed to go where the Ardel Brown RV building to the north of the stadium. Additionally, while we were building the stadium, it was announced that they are planning an indoor water park located just west of the hotel site. I expect the hotel to happen when the economy picks up. You have to remember that one of the investors, iStar, had their stock bottom out last year. I think that caused one of the biggest set backs in the plan. Additionally, due to the number of land owners that Checketts wants to buy out, the buy out has hit a stand still. When one owner was ready to sell, they would hear of the next guy asking for more money.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no doubt that the extensive shopping and entertainment community envisioned originally adjacent and connected to RTS will be built in the near future. I'm looking forward to it.

The disappointing developments are the ones surrounding the soccer academy. Checketts and Salt Lake City have been pointing fingers at one another for almost 2 years now. I have serious doubts about this ever materializing.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is sad that the youth system wont be built considering the potential we obviously have. Being SUM cup winners wasnt an accident, there is some serious talent in this state and the other states that were supporting that team (arizona and florida?).
    That youth academy would do wonders for soccer in this state (not much respect in region IV because of "powerhouses" like north/south cal, colorado, oregon, washington, and arizona) and maybe push it above certain sports as it is in other areas of the country.
    Hope to see this issue resolved and the push for soccer in youth systems create a push in the local colleges to get NCAA regonized teams.

11. 4Foosball

4Foosball Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    love how every other MLS team is playing Real Madrid this summer EXCEPT the team that has the "special arrangement" with them...wa wa wahhhhhhh

12. JesusKreis

JesusKreis Member

Nov 15, 2008
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now they're playing in Toronto too. Any chance of a west coast swing?... no I didn't think so

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does this make sense to anybody? toronto?!?! wtf!?

14. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arrggh. We better be getting someone better than Everton.

15. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xango Cup 2009
    RSL v Ogden Outlaws

And then we will find some way to cancel it...:)

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    byu!!!
    and all of the sudden that "free" game before the season started will count as a friendly

17. Xenofred

Xenofred New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Real Madrid to play DC United, plus other internation matches

What the hell is going on? We had a contract to play Real Madrid, but they keep getting out of it, yet they conveniently are able to play DC United. This is really pathetic. Plus, Barca is coming to play LA, Chicago, etc., but we couldn't get them for the Allstar game?!? Luckily, Everton has had a good finish and will be a good opponent, but still, something's not right! Who is working these deals and why is RSL getting screwed!?! I know we're a mid-market team, but the league should be trying to help RSL and upholding it's contractual obligations. I'm giving this a RED CARD! Boo!

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Real Madrid to play DC United, plus other internation matches

money

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From the thread in MLS N&A about Toronto moving the NYRB game up more than a month to accomodate the Real Madrid friendly, for which Toronto fans will have to pay. Someone raised the argument that other teams were visiting MLS markets, with those tickets included in season packages.

Any idea what we're talking for what we paid? Kenn is usually correct in such assertions.

20. milesfoxx2005

milesfoxx2005 Member

Nov 8, 2006
    The Netherzone!!!!!
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    In my continuing series of offering awful new marketing partners for RSL, I present...

[​IMG]

if soccer weren't already a divisive issue in SLC/Sandy, this would make for delicious salt on the wound...CSKA Salt Lake forever!

21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FedEx Field holds over 90,000, over 4 times as many butts in seats, tickets sold, etc. Notice that DC isn't even hosting in their home RFK stadium.

What might be funny is if FedEx doesn't sell out.

I might go to it because it isn't that far away (for me) and could be a nice weekend for catching a Smithsonian building on one day and the game the other.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wouldnt mind seeing cska moscow come here, dont they have that brazilian (love?) with the blue hair?

23. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

I'd also be interested in the numbers, including the estimated total economic benefit to the entire county/state. As Donk has pointed out in other threads, the value of hosting a mega team like Real Madrid isn't simply the monetary return to RSL. A game like that could conceivably be used as a loss leader for the sale of...

... season tickets. I think the RSLFO has skated a pretty fine line when it comes to marketing season tickets with statements such as "RSL plans to host Real Madrid in a friendly every other year." The hyperbolic rhetoric from RSL regarding the Real Madrid borders on being deceptive.

<shrugs>

I could just generally be feeling my season ticket purchase was a rip-off, though.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i guarantee that season ticket sales go down after this season. Too many times has stuff like this happend. I know a handful of people that have already said "i'll just buy individual tickets"...

25. BG86

BG86 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget CSKA moscow, CSKA Sofia!