Real recognize real (or sometimes not!) : the Jesse Lingard thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Down with Jess, but this is just puzzling. What game time can he really expect, unless players get injured?
    And he was just recalled to England also. That's pretty much done after this series of internationals, lest something unforeseen happens, which is a shame because I still feel he had a decent chance at making the WC squad for England next year.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There's just no liquidity in the market - especially for older players on high salaries.

Ordinarily West Ham would flop 30m or so on him, and meet his salary expectations - but in this market, buyers either want a young player on lower salary (and thus long term asset value) OR a higher salary player on a cheap or loan to buy deal.

So presumably there is just no acceptable offer for him, so Utd are not pushing him out.

johno repped this.
  3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    agreed. i can't even recall if we have had an official offer.

i am sure there will at least be smoke on deadline day though but at this point i expect him to stay which means all parties lose essentially

4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I think they're playing the same game WH are. It's a "you move first" type thing. I think WH will come for him today.

5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I hope you're right.

Part of me thinks that he actually wants to stay. Right now he's going to be getting PT. If the James deal becomes official, then he only has to compete with Sancho, Martial, and Mata for at least a month or so.

Amad, Rashford are out. With Mctominay out for a month, you can bet we'll see Pogba centrally, frequently. If he can get momentum, he can play his way into some solid rotation minutes for at least the 1st half of the season.

If that doesnt work out. He could always request to leave iN January.

johno repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mentioned it previous but it surely looks like West Ham are playing this pretty shrewdly. They have some cash available but not a lot, so they have to make whatever they have as long as possible.
    They've allegedly put in one offer for Lingard a while back but it was knocked back. Was perfectly fine for taking our time also on this, hoping that other clubs would step up with bids of their own. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened and ultimately that only helps West Ham.
    Keep hearing about their interest in that Vlasic kid, so they clearly still want to add (need the depth being in Europe and all). Personally believe that Vlasic is at best a backup for Lingard or more than likely just a smokescreen. Lingard, more than likely, is still their prime target and we can reasonably expect something to happen in the next 24hrs.
    Wouldn't even surprise me, if they managed to swing a loan again, this time with an obligation to buy, which would surely work for them as it would give a year before having to fork out more cash.
    Lingard staying at United really does not make much sense and feels like a waste for him personally.

7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Isn't Lingard in his last year of his contract?

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #633 Ashur, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    I wonder if there is a club option that can be triggered. If it already has, the fact that the club may be looking to keep him, might mean they could be considering handing him a new contract, which would be kind of mindblowing considering the options we have right now...

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We'll have to see where this leads to, I suppose...

10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    West Ham closed the Vlašić deal. they have money and could go again but it looks like they have made their choice to go with a younger attacker

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    For his sake and ours, we should have taken less and sent him on loan so we have less guy to force into the rotation. The front office is unnecessarily making Ole's job harder.

12. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007

Absolute dick move, after refusing to leave when we obviously weren’t going to give him minutes and wanted to recoup something for him.

JC7rox and Holy__Joe repped this.
  13. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Lingard rejects new contract. Both parties are playing hard ball. He wants guarantees of playing time. His current contract expires summer of 22.

- United would not sell him for said value/West Ham do not pay it
    - Lingard rejects contract/Wants playing time assurance

He could walk for free in the summer. Should we?

- Let him walk
    - Drop our value
    - Extend him then sell him so he does not walk

14. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    That was my first initial reaction then I thought about it, we rejected approaches for him that we deemed were lower in value. He cornered us.

15. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    if both things are true (wanting to stay, concerned about minutes) he is just wasting his own time.

should have moved and kept the momentum going. i understand why the club didn't want to get low balled for arguably the hottest player in the second half of the season. last contract year or not.

either way this is not good for him. he can only go on loan now or permanent to somewhere like Turkey whose transfer window is still open.

who knows if he can find that form again whenever he inevitably leaves

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  16. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is going to close to 30 when that new contract kicks in. Not sure what either party is doing here. He should have gone a long time go and we have no business offering him a contract.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He's trying to secure his future. He'll get more as a free agent. This is how a contract works.

thenamestsam repped this.
  18. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fingers crossed we avoid falling for the trap this time. Lingard will be a free agent at the end of the season and surely then, there should be a host of decent ready to pick him up and pay him decent money (on top of giving him some kind of sign on bonus). Not ideal to see him go for nothing, but so be it at this point.
    At almost 29 and with no real sign of him having a significant role to the team, it would be madness to give him a high paying, long term deal, one we'll be stuck with, with no hopes of moving him the way we have with the likes of Jones or AP, just to name those guys.
    Would rather see us save the money to be in a position to potentially pay someone like Pogs big. Have absolutely no issue at all seeing us pay him 400k/wk, even more so if we finally get a holding mid which will allow the team to play in midfield, as well as in a more forward role, when necessary/possible.
    And along with Pogba, new contracts are incoming for guys like Shaw, Bruno and others: there is simply no room for Lingard, much less on a hefty contract.

20. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Such a weird way to look at it. Why would we expect him to screw himself over to benefit the club?

johno and thenamestsam repped this.
  21. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With so many clubs (on the continent especially) strapped for cash to pay transfer fees I think Jesse is right in thinking he will have good offers at good clubs if he's on a free this summer. On the other hand, he (probably correctly) suspects that we only want to re-sign him so that we can keep trying to get a fee for him over the next couple windows. Running down his contract unless he gets assurances that we actually want him in order to play him rather than to extract some value is the only logical thing for him to do.

22. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    So many options on wings Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Pogs, Greenwood, he is a fool to ask for any assurance and he knows there is no way he is starting. Well played.

23. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He just wants more money.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  24. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    If he was still here because we wanted more money then you’d be right. But it was Jesse Lingard who turned West Ham down, because he wanted to stay and fight for his place in the team.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/ma...jected-west-ham-to-fight-for-first-team-place

We wanted him to go. We rejected some initial bids, but not because we wanted him to still be at the club this season.

So Jesse rejected West Ham because he wanted to stay. Within a week of the window closing, he has rejected a contract offer because he wants assurances about playing time. Well, we gave him some ********ing assurances about his future at the club when we negotiated for his sale.

Lingard had a season where he was dealing with some major personal issues that left him ineffective for us. We were empathetic and compassionate throughout, we assisted him where we could, and we gave him a loan to try and help him get his football back up and running. Of course that also benefited us because we wanted him to do well so we could get more money for him - but it also made sense for him mentally as well as for his career, and it’s the sole reason he’s back in the England team now and came this close to going to the Euros.

It’s an absolute dick move then for Jesse to decline West Ham’s advances, a club that is 100% his level, to stay and fight for minutes we don’t want to give him, and demand assurances on those minutes we have no intention of giving otherwise he’s leaving on a free. If I was Ole I’d give him those assurances and once he signs tell him he’d better hope we go deep into the Carabao Cup.

jeff070 repped this.
  25. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why clog up your wage bill. Let him go for free.

johno repped this.