Real Monarchs Running Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by pate, Mar 21, 2018.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.rsl.com/post/2021/03/09/real-monarchs-announce-hiring-assistant-coach-joel-delass

HERRIMAN, Utah (Tuesday, March 9, 2021) - Real Monarchs Head Coach Jamison Olave announced today the hiring of Assistant Coach Joel DeLass, joining Elite Talent Director and Assistant Coach Cody Worden and Goalkeeper Coach Mirza Harambasic to round out the technical staff ahead of the upcoming 2021 United Soccer League Championship season.

DeLass joins the Monarchs from Union Omaha where he served as their assistant coach for the 2020 season, helping lead the team to a second place finish in USL League One. Prior to that, he spent a year with Lansing Ignite in the same position. At the collegiate level, he coached at his alma mater, Wheaton College, as an assistant coach from before moving into the head coaching role at Northwest Nazarene University for three seasons.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three first teamers with the Monarchs tonight in their opening game: Dewsnup in goal, Garcia in the midfield (two yellows and off in the 70th or so), and Bode Davis up front (goal). Loads of young players:

Starters
    Jeff Dewnsup - GK - 16 (RSL player)
    Jaziel Orozco - D - 16
    Daniel Flores - D - 17
    Chris Garcia - M - 18 (RSL player)
    Ibrahim Bance - M - 20
    Bode Davis - F - 19 (RSL player)
    Max Mata - F - 20

Subs/Bench
    Christian Nydegger - M - 17 (subbed on)
    Francisco Martinez - D - 17
    Abel Mendoza - M - 18
    Griffin Dillon - M - 18

2-2 final though San Antonio put a shot off the crossbar at the death.

3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The oldest was 20?! Amazing!

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were four players in their 20s in the XI, and one of the subs too.

RSLer repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The full starting XI, with ages/notes:

FW: Max Mata (20)
    FW: Bode Davis^* (19)
    LM: Malik Johnson (23)
    CM: Sam Brown (25)
    CM: Ibrahim Bance (20)
    RM: Chris Garcia ^* (18)
    LB: Daniel Flores^ (17)
    CB: Kyle Adams (24)
    CB: Jaziel Orozoco^ (16)
    RB: James Moberg (27)
    GK: Jeff Dewsnup^* (16)

Subs: Aris Brigs (24), Kevin Saucedo (21), Jimmy Slayton (22), Christian Nydegger^ (17), Francisco Martinez^ (17), Abel Mendoza^ (18), Griffon Dillon^ (18)

*RSL Player
    ^Academy Product and/or Local Player

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  6. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Under what conditions are the Monarchs playing local players who aren't members of the academy?

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't find details on a few players when I made the post. I since found indication that Griffon Dillon and Abel Mendoza are part of the academy.

Allez RSL repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Aside from Jonathan Gomez (who is a ringer), Jeff Dewsnup has impressed me more than any young American prospect in USL/USL League One so far this season.

Some young guys who made a big impact last season in USL include Caden Clark, Jack McGlynn, Adam Saldana, Edison Azcona, who are all playing regular minutes this season in MLS. That’s not to say the same applies for a keeper, but being one of the most impressive young prospects in USL has its value.

This is not unexpected either. Dewsnup is very talented. My main concern with his game has been that he makes some dumb errors, which aren’t atypical of a young keeper, but he otherwise has stupid potential. I hadn’t seen him play in about 15 months, and it looks like he’s cleaned up the errors in that span.

Hopefully the plan can be Ochoa develops well and is sold after 2022 season, and Dewsnup can step right into his spot.

RSLer, DrownedElf, goobx1 and 4 others repped this.
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I *think* only Dewsnup and Davis played in last night's 1-0 loss to New Mexico. No others even on the bench.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a passel of first teamers in the lineup vs. Sacramento Republic tonight: Putna, Holt, Morgan, Portillo, Chang, Iloski, Douglas. Dewsnup and Davis are on the bench.

RSLer repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A whopping eight members of the first team in the USL game over the weekend, a 1-0 road loss to Rio Grande Valley.

Douglas up top with Iloski in the middle and Chang on one wing.

Portillo as one of two d-mids.

Holt, Morgan, and Powder as three of the defenders.

Putna in goal.

rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats a pretty disheartening result given the number of supposed first team players. Strange to see Illoski as a midfielder, though I wonder if this is the small adjustment we'll start to see for the club to start playing 2 strikers, even if one is more withdrawn.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #138 Ismitje, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    I haven't seen highlights from the weekend game, but this line from a Monarchs story on Soapbox isn't inspiring:

". . . where Andrew Putna and Justin Portillo gifted the Toros with the win against a very heavy MLS player squad"

EDIT: Yup, that's accurate.

But there are no RSL chances in the whole highlight package.

14. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slightly more of a Portillo gift than Putna. Putna had some decent saves in the highlights. Still pretty sad overall. Don't want these guys getting first team minutes and I'm guessing the Monarchs don't want them either.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How Portillo thinks he has time to lollygag with the ball at his own 18 is beyond me. Three different players could have stolen the ball.

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still have no idea why the club brought back Putna. My only theory is that MacMath's contract ends this year (2021) and the club is setting itself up to have the GK situation figured out for 2022. But... that's not how you make a solid roster. And taking minutes from Dewsnup isn't great for his development.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only Dewsnup: the Monarchs have a GK signed too, who backs up Dewsnup. Presumably that guy should get some time at this level too.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to @newtex for this post - looks like we're for sure planning for the Monarchs to leave USL and head to the new MLS development league next year.

15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS seems hell bent on making sure the only sustainable american league is completely theirs. I really don't get this

20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems to be pretty consistent with DonG’s business practices. I doubt he spends even a moment thinking about the good of any other American league. First and foremost, MLS is a business. Second, and second-most, it is an entertainment business.

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played a 13 year old with the Monarchs last night. Axel Kai, up from the academy, Story was on Reuters.

RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Significant in that it made American professional sports history. It’s mind boggling to think of a 13 year old out there with Bobby Wood. Unfortunately, I have no faith in our organization being able to manage this kid to the eventual benefit of the Senior team..

goobx1 repped this.
  23. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Fine. That’s incredibly cynical. The fact that they even tried…… I’ve gotta think that if he doesn’t develop it is more on the kid than RSL.

15 to 32 repped this.
  24. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    It's always a crap shoot and the track record may seem sketchy but it's probably right there with most of the other MLS teams that aren't FCD or Seattle.

The one thing that I would be cynical about is this young man being actually as young as they say. I will give them the benefit of the doubt but in the back of my mind I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and the Real Monarchs/RSL have an embarrassing story on their hands.

Here's to hoping for the best.

25. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    No more embarrassing than Freddie Adu.