Real Madrid vs Valencia (La Liga Week#8) [R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Lockjaw, Oct 20, 2004.

1. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    I missed the game, but it sounds like we clearly outplayed Valencia, the defending champions. We are moving up the table pretty quickly, and hopefully the other teams in La Liga will be feeling the pressure. Good to see that Owen is finding his groove -- if Ronaldo can find his, and we can stay healthy, I like where this team is going! I, again, think that we should stick with Ronaldo because he will start up sooner or later and he needs to be on the field for that to happen. Sounds like nobody messed up too bad today -- Samuel is starting to scare me sometimes -- and it's much better to have a lot of quality players to leave on the bench (Moro, Solari, Celades, etc.) than having to fill spots due to poor performance or injury.

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo was all over the field, but his scoring touch was not there yet. Someone always got him on the last touch. I found him holding the ball too long and tried to do things too much on his own. He could have passed, but elected to go on his own. Othervise, he was one of the better players on the field. I am disappointed with the single goal lead. Valencia was downed the whole game, but they did creat some scarey moment at the end. A single mistake could have cost 2 points.

The early lead helped Real Madrid. In previous games, the other teams played very tight defense. Sometimes, the shots were bouncing off defenders inside the box. Valencia was giving more space for Real Madrid to roam.

3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001

He was invisible ,christoSAP .
    I reckon Morientes should go in the team ahead of him .lmao

Seriously ...
    Owen wil become a goal machine when he finds his best form .
    Two winning goals in a week aint bad.The coach should give him a full 90 minutes .

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great stuff by Owen, two crucial matchwinning goals in a week :cool:

Still need a dedicated defensive midfielder with a strong engine on him, some 6 foot plus monster or aggressive headcase who can do the dirty work. Apart from that just Woodgate to eventually get fit and come into the back 4, then Real's defence will be even stronger and the goals will flow, only a matter of time before Ronaldo starts banging them in again.

5. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    you love the name dont you. it was funny the 1st time, well not really. but the 10th?

anyway, did figo have a bad game?

6. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't you believe what the Sinner told you? You should listen to him, because he hit the mark... Figo was invisible for most of the match.

7. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched at the Lucky Bar in DC.

These three points feel good. The attacking line-up that MGR placed the trust in during mid-week came around with another adequate performance. I say adequate because for much of the match I was trying to will them to pick up speed on the attack by at a beat or two. There were so many excellent chances on goal that went to waste due to appearant nonchalance. Good thing MO put that goal in early, allowing RM to play with the lead. Nice to see them hold on to it for the entire match, but they really need a bit more urgency when they get their chances in goal.

Things are moving from less to more, so my optimism has returned.

8. KopThat!

KopThat! Red Card

Aug 16, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Well done Michael. Pleased for you. We all know what'll happen though. You'll find some form then will get injured and be out for a couple of months. It never fails. Happens every season. Ah well.

9. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope not, but that's why Morientes isn't going to be let go this season.

10. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ilferrari

ilferrari New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    IMO Raul looks much better playing further back from the forward line. The goal illustrated an underrated part of his game - passing. I think Owen is more suitable to moving around the penalty area.

In my opinion Beckham should be dropped, although I don't see it happening and he will replace Guti probably. It is ridiculous to give Beckham the central role instead of Zidane.

Ronaldo and Figo can be incisive and brilliant but too often they go solo against several defenders and lose the ball.

12. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    oh well 1 bad game, raul had his share and people kept the faith, so i am not to worried.

13. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Plus Figo just came back from the injury he got against Kiev, and wasn't even sure to play this game.

14. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey man, no body is calling for Figo to sit. He had a down game in a victory. It happens. He'll be back strong soon enough.

15. echineko

echineko New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Malaysia
    thats true, but whats all this stuff with chelsea still being interested in signing figo? even the commentator for the valencia game said that madrid might be selling during the break, and thats worrying. i'd hate to see figo leave...

16. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    i am calling for the guy to sit, he was damn site lazy and anonymous in this game, time to see what more motivated players can do!

17. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumours I'd gather. Nothing I've seen in Marca suggests this. He's been one of the top performers this season, so perhaps it's UK media fantasy.

18. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, OK, almost nobody is calling for him to sit. :p

19. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figo did not have his usual strong game, Sunday. Perhaps his injury was still impairing him. What GR needed to do was sub him out at the half. I am sure we will see the regular killer Figo back this weekend. But IMHO, if some one makes us a good offer for Figo, we should take it. Not because Figo isn't excellent, he is. But we have too many older players as it is & we need to start making room for younger, hungrier ones.

20. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am tired of talking about transfer rumors. Here is an old thread on RM's exciting win over Valencia. Hala Madrid.