PBP: Real Madrid vs FC Barcelona | J33 - La Liga 23/24 | 21 April 2024 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by celito, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I was thinking more about who will be sold.

thetomg repped this.
  2. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Yup.

And it isn't just him who's made this same mistake. In the CDR match away to unionistas, Balde got caught ball watching, for a floated cross that lead to their goal. This is a personnel issue, AND a coaching issue, not to correct it.

It will keep happening, until someone corrects it. Either by teaching your fullbacks to turn their freaking heads to locate their marks, or one of the players just learns it themselves. Turn. Your. Head. That's it. Its a U12 defensive skill.

As an aside, is Fort hurt, or does Xavi not rate him? I suspect he has the U12 skill of turning his head that Cancelo apparently does not.

Agreed. A proper #6 either stops the ballcarrier, or makes him turn back.

This goal occurred because there isn't a proper #6 in the roster. Pedri is not a #6. Nor is Gundogan, nor is Fermin. Christiansen is #6-ish, but thats about it. Imagine that, instead of pouring cash down the drain to get Roque, that they bought Zubimendi or Kimmich?

thetomg, Barc@4ever and celito repped this.
  3. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Meh, I'm more concerned about Davies being able to stand up Yamal than I am about Mbappe.

Mbappe had a meh game until Barca were down a man, and he scored a PK.

thetomg repped this.
  4. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Welp, again a fullback (in this case, Kounde) got sucked inside, leaving a far post runner completely unmarked.

Where have we seen this before?

5. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Another day in LPB robbing series.

Anyway, while this season is bad, i think next will be better. Especially if you look at our fullbacks. Balde will return and he can provide you a solid left back (fast, can defend quite well). Cancelo, i think he will continue with club so we have plenty of choices for right back (with Kounde and Araujo).

6. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Our midfield also needs big change this summer. If you look closely, not only we lack a defensive midfielder but our CM, AM are also poor.

7. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Real Madrid should be investigated at this point. Pure robbery.

saadomar, hector_br and Deep Pal repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    On the calls yesterday ...

- Vasquez does leave his leg out for contact, but unfortunately that PK is typically given. Blame Cancelo for getting cooked by freakin Vasquez.

- My initial reaction from most angles is the ball didn't fully go in. Other angles looks like it might. Unrealistic to ask the ref to get it right on the field. So give La Liga is too cheap to get goal line tech, and VAR was inconclusive, the decision on the field stands. The game was still 1 x 1 at the time and given the fact we couldn't hold a lead, end result probably wouldn't have been the same on the night.

Don't know of other big controversial calls as those were the only two that are included in highlights. The ones in the media and the club concentrating on so called ref mistakes only distract from the team's own failures.

Khan repped this.
  9. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Do you mean Cubarsi left his leg out?

I get that its unfashionable to criticize Cubarsi, given how he's started out so far. But, he's also earned some critique for that action. I re-watched it, and a couple things:

1. Cancelo did come across Vazquez, but he failed to win the ball. All he had to do was to knock the ball out of touch for a corner, and the danger would have been removed.

2. Cubarsi did stick his leg out, but it was also reckless for him to go to try to win the ball as well. He could/should have merely stayed on his feet, stay goalside, and probably given up a corner. Christiansen was backing him up, so there wasn't a dire need to win that ball.

Whether it was Vazquez looking for contact or not, and whether or not VAR reviewed it, every single ref in God's Green Earth is gonna call a PK if your leg is stuck out like that. And not a single VAR review will reverse it, because it wouldn't be "an obvious error."

This isn't Cubarsi's ONLY recent error, he also could have removed the danger of the cross to Dembele, but he failed to do so. On Bellingham's goal, he, as well as Kounde were caught ball watching as well. He's a promising player, with exciting potential, but I don't think he's arrived, just yet. Especially on the "team defending" aspect of his game.

Agreed. Initially, I didn't think it went in, but after seeing some replays, I thought it might. But, without incontrovertible proof, the ref/VAR could not rightly call it a goal. It sucks, but this is what happens when RFEF and La Liga don't have the tech.

10. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
  11. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    BocaFan repped this.
  12. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona