Real Madrid: The Beatles of football?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lond2345, Aug 10, 2004.

1. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    who here can argue that real madrid arent the beatles of football? everywhere they go they are greeted by hundreds of fans, mostly screeming females, they get flowers and roses, they are welcomed like true rock stars. In japan when they arrived at the airport it was chaos, now they go to Poland and the same thing happens. Everywhere they go they're welcomed like rock stars. No other team in the world gets this response.

500 fans greet real madrid in Cravow (is this how you spell it)

2. Bilbao2Brooklyn

Jun 20, 2001
    Brooklyn,U.S.A.
    They are the Wham! of football.

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    dude, Manchester United has a lot more fans around the world than Madrid, without a question.

4. LeslieSantosfan

LeslieSantosfan New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    lets see if anyone outside of Spain would care about Real if they let go of their stars.....

so, are they fans of the club? or fans of the stars?

5. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    The sponsors don't think so :)

Real Madrid has already surpassed ManU in its brand power.

Build it and they will come.

6. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The most popular team in the world would have to be Real Madrid the only team that comes close to them is Manchester. If you look at it Madrid is probably more popular in Europe. Man U and Madrid are just as popular in Asia and Africa. However, Madrid it hugely popular in latin america; its the most popular european team by far. Sometimes, I think that people don't even know who Man U is in latin america. In the U.S. it would be Manchester but since there is not that many soccer fans in the country the amount of fans really does not hold any weight.

And Real's stars are much more popular than Man U's.

Real-Zidane,Ronaldo,Figo,Raul,Roberto Carlos,Morientes,Casillas,Samuel,Beckham

Man U-Van Nistelrooy,Scholes,Keane,Giggs (thats about it).

So in the end it would be Real Madrid.

7. LordR

LordR Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Germany
    Yesterday there was published a research of an american economy-institute about the most valuable brandmarks in football and there ManU was on 1st in fron of Real Madrid.

The top five were:

1. ManU
    2. Real
    3. Milan
    4. Bayern
    5. Barca or Juventus, I'm not sure.

8. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The beatles of football? They did not win anything last year, 4th in la Liga. They lost the Copa Del Rey to Real Zaragosa, they were destroyed by Monaco in the CL. If we talk results real looks much different.

9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Real Madrid has something to do it, but the star quality of individual players also made them the Beatles of football. Ronaldo and Zidane won the last two World Cups. Beckham is the most media-hyped soccer player in the history of the game. They happened to be playing with Roberto Carlos, Figo and Raul. Each of them had something to show for.

10. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    One person is responsible for all of this....David Beckham.. :rolleyes:

11. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I suppose that they also will be broken up by yoko ono. Only this time she'll be going out with Beckham.

12. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    You forgot Solskjaer!!

13. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    ....Much more like the Spice-girls of football.

14. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    I'm not entirely positive that the Spice Girls were named the musical equivalent of FIFA "Club of the 20th Century."

I'm not sure the Spice Girls won the musical equivalent of 9 European Championships.

Real Madrid may be a very pop-culture-friendly team, but the team's record speaks for itself, and the players work hard and win games. Last season was a bad season, an abberration, and we made/are making the necessary adjustments to get back up to the top of European football.

15. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    The Spice-girls won loads of awards and broke alot of sales records, but essentially they were a distateful group, concieved by a media-savy mastermind (Perez) and cynically brought together with purpose of exploiting the impressionable.

16. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    Are Real Madrid going to end up arguing all the time, then splitting up and then one of them getting shot?

17. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Lets hope...................

not. I mean that, honest. ;)

18. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Maybe beckham will be sad Zidane ranked higher than him on the Fifa world top 125 or 100 list of Pele...whatever that thing was...feel shunned and decide to give a life as a kitty litter sniffer a whirl :D And then raul will finally begin to have an ego, Ronaldo will get tired of those"too fat" criticisms and just decide to chow down.

Ronaldo: mnn this Chalupa is good, better have another.
    Beckham: But my wife says i am the best player in the world. Hmppff!
    Zidane: Nah nah nah nah, better run to Vicky now Becks, you going to Italy now?
    Raul: Hmmm...better hang with Morientes, Guti, and Pavon tonight.

Real: Hubris nemesis :eek:

19. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Posh could make a good Yoko

20. LeslieSantosfan

LeslieSantosfan New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    lol
    ya, wuts with Raul; they keep saying he is like the face of Real; but man, i swear, he would be the last one I think of from all the star players on the team; behind salgado, even....

Raul, stop being a golden Retriver, and grow some ego already, pretty boy

21. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'd say they're closer to Metallica then the Beatles. The Beatles were a religion where as Madrid is the latest "hip" thing, and like great Rock bands (interesting analogy BTW) they either split up or their music eventually fails to inspire. The same could go for Real and their band of overpaid mercenaries.

22. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Nah. If anything, Real Madrid is more like Damn Yankees - a band constructed out of superstars.

Man that was a ************ band. :D

23. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    HA! Now way in this world is Real equivalent to the NYY. The Yankee's buy players by the truck-load, all of them being the best. Thats why I fukin hate the Yankees and the can rot in hell for all I care!!

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn:7lxNwmUwF10J:www.tuuk.org/gallery/Ryan_Tuuk/middle_finger.jpg

******** you Jeeter!!!!

24. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dude, he meant the band, Damn Yankees, not that Piece of ********** baseball team. The Yanks are a "supergroup" made up of Ted Nugent, Tommy Shaw (Styx), Jack Blades (Night Ranger) and drummer Micheal Cartellone.

I lived in Romania, German and Austria and now in New York. In each of those places Manchester seemed to be the more popular team. More people were wearing their jerseys and taking an interest in them.

25. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Woops. Some definite miscommunication on my part.

THE NYY STILL SUCK THOUGH!!!