Real Madrid is searching for a new centerback to buy in January

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MadridForever, Nov 13, 2003.

1. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    The team is searching a player with these conditions:

- He musn't have played any Champions league game this year.

- He must be a player with a good experience in La liga or a player who knows la liga well.

- He musn't be too expensive.

Well, i think that it will be very dificult to find a player with these characteristic.

Lucio and Ayala could be very good options. They haven't played Champions league this year. But Lucio would be a very expensive player and i think that he will play with Juventus the next year. And RM already tried to sign Ayala in August but Valencia didn't want to sell him.

Valdano will have to work hard to find a CB that finally convinces Florentino. I'm sure that he would thank any aid. Do you have other options?

I hope that we sign a very good CB in January. Valdano must find him very fast, before Florentino change his opinion.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/noticia/0,2458,413949,00.html

2. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    How about Milito :rolleyes:

3. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    well this is welcome news, but it will be hard to find a player who meets these requirements. A good to excellent defender who doesn't cost too much who speaks Spanish who isn't cup tied...

Perhaps there is an Argentinian player who could suit this profile - I don't know a lot of the players there but it would be a good place to look - they would probably come cheaper and wouldn't be cup tied and of course would have no language issues. Of course this would mean that Cambiasso would sit, but if Helguera is playing in midfield while the new central defender is alongside Pavon that's less of a problem.

4. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    oof!

5. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Bocanegra? At least his name is Spanish and I have a very good feeling that he could make the jump with minimal problem - yes he is that good and will become better. I know many of you think this is crazy but most of you haven't seen this guy work and create, as well as defend and kill off attacks. He would also be VERY cheap by Real Madrid standards. Experience - that's what they said Tim Howard needed before he could make an impact...

6. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Milito? We can't sign him, he is in Zaragoza!!! Anyway, thanks for the advice, but you must not have read the sport news in the last times.

7. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think players that have played in the UEFA Cup are cup-tied as well. So that would rule out Ayala. And do Real have another non-EU space available? If not that would rule out Lucio.

8. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    signing another non-EU player is a possibility. I understand Solari has a Spanish passport, so that leaves Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, and Cambiasso. If Madrid signed Lucio or any other non-EU player it just means that the new player and Cambiasso will not play at the same time (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the rules allow up to three non-EU on the field at a time, and up to six on a squad).

9. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Yeah, if he played with Valencia in UEFA Cup he couldn't play CL, but he has still not played any game in UEFA CUP with Valencia. RM could sign him to play in CL.

10. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    It will be very hard to find a player with this criteria. I like Alex from Santos, but he will cost a ton. I think Mexes from Auxerre is out of contract in June so maybe we could get him cheap.

Also what do u think they mean by cheap? Under 5 million euros? under 10?

11. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    well, they offered 12 million for Ayala, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an offer up to or slightly over that amount depending on the player. I didn't realise Ayala had not played in the UEFA Cup. Is this likely to remain the case through the transfer window? He's a hell of a player. I think Valencia was asking for Madrid's half of E'too's contract in addition to the 12 million. Well that would've made Ayala awfully expensive...

12. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    I don`t want to see him leave but I think Olof Mellberg would be a good signing. He`s played in La liga and the Premiership for teams that have needed to do a lot of defending. Eu.8-10 Million.

13. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India
    I think Barca was just having a little fun at our expense :)

14. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    You are correct, but only for La Liga and Copa del Rey matches. There are no EU restriccions in the CL.

Milito went to Zaragoza? :eek: How did he do in the Zaragoza - Madrid game? I bet he played well ;)

I was just adding a little humor to the news. I find it difficult to see Floro buying in mid-season, if he does, he must have been horrified in Sevilla. Milito, of course, would had been the answer had not a mysterious injury appeared. I have a feeling that the people who found the injury are the same people who are advising Bush about Weapons of Mass Destruction.

15. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Yeah, my answer was sarcastic.

16. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    We won't know if RM doctors were right until that Milito play in a team where its players play 60 games each season like RM players. Zaragoza players play half of the games that RM players. RM doctors didn't say that Milito would be injuried in the first games, they said that Milito knee wouldn't support the number of games that RM players have to play each season.

And i'm agree with you about that it will be very dificult that Florentino sign a player in December because it is against his policy. For that reason i said that Valdano had to be very fast before Florentino changed his opinion

17. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Ayala has played in two UEFA Cup games for Valencia.

:(

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I had a feeling the defender would not be someone famious. He will be someone who has been in La Liga for years, but not a major star. Perhaps, no one heard of him outside Spain. He is just an upgrade from Pavon and Bravo.... a temporary solution to last the season. Lucio will come in the offseason.

19. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I though that he hasn't played any game. In the Ayala statistics in "AS", you can see that he has played 566 minutes in la liga but 0 minutes in UEFA.
    http://www.as.com/futbol/as/jugadores.php?competicion=0213&idj=557

But in Marca I have seen that like you said he has played two games. In addition, in Marca they say that he could have sign for Chelsea.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/noticia/0,2458,410236,00.html

A player less to choose.

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ayala played against M. Haifa.

21. mega montana

mega montana New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Estados Unidos
    it'll be interesting to see who they get

he doesnt meet those qualifications listed above, but i would love to see davids in a madrid kit!

22. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Davids is over the hill, I'd say it would be a big mistake getting him over to Madrid. Meh.

I think maybe Ayala himself would rather play for Madrid than for Chelsea, or else the deal would have already been made known between the player and the English team seeing as Valencia has already given the green light. Makes sense, he wouldn't have to move out of the country, and he'd be playing for a bigger team. :D Still a small chance he could come over methinks

23. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Yep, PlanetFootball is where I got my info from. What's up with AS?

24. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I had read somewhere that the Chelsea squad had made it known that they didn't want Ayala to be brought in, and Abramovich listened to them.

25. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Madrid could do worse than signing Carlos Bocanegra. He would make for a positive addition to the lack of depth in the back. He'd certainly have to prove himself against the cantera before seeing even a minute with the first team. Plus, rumor had it that he doesn't speak Spanish well. But if he doesn't have the EU passport, there's just no point in Madrid signing him... for the short-term, that is.