Real Madrid CF vs. AC Milan|UEFA Champions League Group Stage Matchday 3|10-21-09

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by El-CapitanoR7, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    We were all really confident when we faced a debilitated Arsenal side in 06 and Roma in 08, then look what happened?

2. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

3. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Might see something like this:

-------Lass--Alonso--------

----------Kaka------------

Higuain------------Benzema/Raul

-------Benzema/Raul-------

or

--------Lass--Alonso--------

---Higuain----------Kaka---

-----Benzema----Raul------

I thought Benzema had a poor game against Valladolid, but Granero didn't perform that well either, so it's likely that MP will drop Granero but keep Benzema.

Thoughts?...

4. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As a person who isn't entirely convinced on Granero's quality,I thought he had a good game against Valladolid,Benzema does not deserve a start based on Saturday's game. VDV was impressive as well and maybe Pellegrini will start him as he's more experienced.

5. babai_here

babai_here Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think we cant compare Raul with Benzima as Raul has got much less minutes than Benzima,plus Raul scored two good goals in last match and has huge experience,so IMO Raul should start.

Anybody has any update on RVN? Is he fit now?When will he start playing?

6. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There's an injury update quoted above. Nistelrooy will miss this game as he's still injured.

7. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005
    I'm predicting a stale mate ..RM as a team is still disorganized and can not keep possession or pass the ball well..(not yet)..even if Ronaldo was in the team I'm not very confident about a victory...Italian teams are defensive and very tight in the midfeild..I don't think they will give the space for any player to run across the penaltybox and shoot..
    AC.milan was geting bad results recently ,but they were unlucky at many occasions and their front pair was not ticking!!!They are very tight In the back and midfeild.and can play possession football ..Ronaldinho can do wonders when he's given space (that is expected from Madrid defence)..Even if he can not create old magics , he still can pass well...He's back after two good games and he might be regaining back his confidence..I'm not impressed with Pato ,he's talented but lacks confidence in front of the goal...and doesn't work enough...Inzaghi is the man who'the real goal poacher..He can still score goals just the way Raul is ..They may not contribute much to the overall game , but extremely dangerous in the penalty box...

AC.Milan players are old but most of their players are playing together for ages now...they might be old ,but they are a team of champions...They have players who have achieved everything the game can offer..
    And if one man steps up to the occassion it may change the whole game..And their passing is better than Madrid..
    while Madrid is better in offense they are equaly good in Defence ...Nesta- SILVA partnership is very solid..Thoogh old , the midfeild is not bad either...

On paper Madrid is the clear favourites...as a team RM has not clicked yet!!

8. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    I thought Granero and to a lesser extent VDV had good games on Saturday. One of them will probably make way for Kaka on Wednesday (probably Rafa) but I think Granero might have made a good case to get the start especially with Guti coming off an injury (although I won't be surprised if he's magically healed and gets the start ;)). Benzema has been pretty poor the last two games and I think it might be time for him to see the bench especially since it looks like Higuain might be getting his act together.

9. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    I agree completely. The bigger question for me will be Diarra. I don't think he will start in such an important game as this, but hopefully he will be subbed in to get some match fitness.

10. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lass is having trouble with both his fitness and his play -as of late- has been poor by his standards.

I thought M.Diarra was a wonderful inclusion for the Sevilla game, but I doubt he'll start, even though he probably compliments Xabi more. Diarra is a destroyer , we could use one of those, especially in the CL.

11. raven3k

raven3k Member+

May 31, 2007
    Madrista land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    beating milan is going to be a great way towards killing this hodoo of not beating any top sides recently.

I can and hopefully safely say that, if we win this game, we are gonna see a change of fortunes.

12. ssabripo

ssabripo New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    we should win this game...it's at home, against a quality opponent for a CL match, etc, etc. This is a really good test to see where we stack up. If we can't win in a fairly dominant fashion against a weakened Milan team, things may not be as rosy as we thought.

I'd like to see this lineup:

-----------casillas-------------
    ramos--Pepe---Albiol---Marcelo
    ---Lass---------Xabi A.-------
    Guti-----Kaka------Benz------
    --------HiGuain---------------

Raul had a terrific game, but Milan's defense has one achilles heal: Speed! benzema brings that on the left flank where he tends to drift towards anyways, so it should be a better match for this game, even though he was aweful the last game.

I would like to see Arbeloa get some minutes in the 2nd half, and Granero/VDV for Guti if he is not up to snuff.

Key Players of the game: Kaka and Xabi Alonso. Kaka has not had a great game in several games now, and what better game to break out of his mini-slump than with his ex-teamates coming to his new home. He should be able to push forward with aggression. Xabi had signs of his old self this last game with several key pinpoint passes, and controlled some of the DM duties well, so he needs to use that and take it to the next level. If these two have games like they are capable of, I think we should have an easy 2-0 win.

13. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    I'm amazed at the reasoning people are using to justify starting a woeful Benzema. "Benzema should start because he's young!" or "Benzema should start because he's fast!" A lot of good that youth and speed have served him the last two games :rolleyes: And these same people scoff when others say someone like Raul should start because he's experienced. I think if we're all honest with ourselves Benzema needs to take a seat on the bench for awhile to get his mind right at least for this game.

14. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Hey i forgot about Momo. We should start him instead of Lassana, who in my opinion is begging for a rest. Even if physically he is ok to start, his thinking and decision making might not be sharp enough due to fatigue. Momo is more of a physical presence which we might need against their midfield.

I agree with the dude who said that Momo compliments Xabi moreso than Lassana. I don't think we can use the "he is rusty" excuse anymore. He played against sevilla and was our best outfield player. That says a lot.

15. ahss

ahss New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I like this lineup.;)

16. ssabripo

ssabripo New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    :rolleyes:

yes, only your viewpoint and opinion is a valid and logic one around here.

17. ssabripo

ssabripo New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    couple of alternatives I would also use would be:

M. Diarra for Lass
    Raul for Benzema

Momo is stronger and had a good game against Sevilla, whereas Lass is a little fatigued mentally and has a slight knock, so he could use the rest. Again, Milan's defensive achilles heel is speed which they have a lot of trouble against, but on the other side, Benzema has never done well together with Higuain so far, so Raul could be a great option as well.

18. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Not nearly as "valid and logic" as your reply though.

Listen, all I am saying is if the justification we're using to start Benzema is because he's fast or young there's a problem. Especially if someone like Granero who played well and contributed is left out to allow him that start.

Sound eerily familiar? ;)

19. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You can't paint everyone with the same brush.

I think only a small number of people on here are using "fast or young" as a justification for Benzema, there are others who know of good reasons why it would be good for him to start.

For example, he's profilic in Europe and Higuain isn't, dropping him won't do his confidence that much good (particularly since he trying to settle in), he's a Galacticos II purchase for £35m - it's essential he comes good soon, etc, etc.

20. ahss

ahss New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Can't agrue since Raul did have a great game.

I still like the size, speed, power, height and youth that Benz brings to the table. Real Madrid paid a lot for this kid and I like to see him play and work through these minor difficulties, IMO.

Raul or Benz or both is fine with me.:)

21. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Benzema and Higuain have both started 1 CL game this season but only Higuain has scored....

He's started every game except for at Villareal, how long shall we continue before trying to get the message that he needs to get it together across some other way?

So he should be an automatic starter until he comes good?

22. ssabripo

ssabripo New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    no, it doesn't sound familiar, because as always, your lovefest nuthugging of Raul completely made you miss the part were I said that due to Milan's defensive style, a speed attacker always gives them fits, and that's the only reason I would put benzema.... in this game! Forget the fact that I said that Benzema has not played well, Raul has been very good, etc, etc.

But what else can I expect from you... the mere mention of someone substituting your love god, even if for tactical reasons only, is enough for you to put your blinders on and forget everything else that was typed.

;)

23. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Higauin has scored more goals than Benzema in the CL this season. his unprolificness is apparently overrated. Dropping Higauin won't do his confidence much good either, especially since he did score in his last game.

24. ssabripo

ssabripo New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    yep. I think both give options. I watched the last 5 games Milan have played, including the derby game against Inter, and with speed down the flanks and on the side of the box, they just had no answer for. This is were I would exploit it if I were Pellegrini, and this is the only reason I would probably start benzema over Raul, to see if his speed can capitalize in this weakness.

If it doesn't, Raul can certainly come in and replace him. Either way, even if Raul starts, Higuain should be our main attacker and should have a good day.

25. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was referring to his overall CL record, just as people refer to RvN and Inzaghi being prolific in Europe irrespective of the clubs they've played at.