Real how to become a referee thread

Discussion in 'Referee' started by jmeissen0, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Jay65

Jay65 New Member

Jun 27, 2004
    First post here, looks like a great site. I've been reffing over in AYSO for two years now, doing tournaments and centering U-14 down. I have AR U-19 and have been watching the games for awhile. Like most I volunteered and was put to work right away centering U-12 and below games. I have over 120 games under my belt now. My advice from my experience:
    1) Don't listen to the sidelines, especially if your new. You'll know the LOTG better then most coaches at the youth level. Also, do not trifle calls. If a violation occurs and you feel it has occurred, call it. With younger players do not be afraid to huddle the kids up and explain the rule.
    2) Accept the fact that you are going to make some mistakes, and commit to learn from them.
    3) Study the LOTG and ATR.
    4) On the penal fouls, watch and ask questions to experienced refs who you feel comfortable being mentored by.
    5). With younger players be willing to praise (without showing bias). One of my prize possessions is after a game, I praised a 12 year old girl for her job as goalie. She had done an outstanding job. The next week she handed me an envelope thanking me for recognizing her when her coach did not.
    6) Get someone to observe games as you move into a new age group or video the game and then review the game with an experience ref. Have the person who makes the video focus the action on the field and the play on the field.

Question. My friend who got me into reffing now wants me to expand and get my cross certification for USSF, and do both. I love being a referee, so is it worth it? What are the major differences between AYSO and USSF?

2. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    The differences between AYSO and USSF can be vast or negligible, depending on what each program is like in your local area. In some areas USSF is competitive teams only, cut-throat, stressful for players and refs; in other areas, while there are strong competitive teams, the focus is still on development and having fun. AYSO doesn't even exist in all locations (my local area included), and USSF-affilitated clubs serve both the recreational and competitive teams.

There would be very little difference in the Laws, except maybe at the youngest ages where the list of local modifications to the Laws might be longer than the Laws themselves.

Does your friend think you have what it takes to move on to USSF? Or is he just looking for a buddy to ref with?

You might ask him who his contact is for assigning USSF games, and ask that person what would be expected of you. View a couple of the games at the level to which you would be assigned, and see what you think of them.

I'd say go for it, at least investigate it.

3. david58

david58 New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Oregon
    From my experience, plan on USSF being quite a bit more competitive - parents are paying a good bit more money, in general, to have their kid play club ball than those that are in AYSO. Notice that I mention the parents as being the center of the competitive approach and not the kids - the kids generally play as hard as they can at any level. And, you will have more, better players in the USSF realm, usually.

You will find that AYSO will generally have more mentoring contacts for you, depending on the size of your region. The region I work with now has a number of folks with kids no longer playing who continue to referee, and who are experienced club and hs referees - makes for a great environment for the learning referee. In the USSF/club environment, you are being paid and the parents and spectators care nothing about your motivation to referee - they want a good match called for their side. At least in AYSO most folks realize we are all volunteers.

I recommend that folks considering the transition have their Area badge (don't remember what the new designation is) - that is, be very comfortable centering any U12 Boys match your AYSO region can put you in. You will have to remain a bit more aloof from the kids in the USSF environment (I would discourage huddling them up to explain a call), but still at the younger ages you are helping teach the game.

Communication is a key, and talking to the players is very important - I often do it so the parents can hear, since they are most often the ones that don't understand, and calming them a bit with this indirect approach seems to help the kids have a better time - they didn't come out to hear adults complain and argue. Don't try to be someone you aren't - I can get away with stuff on the field with some players that other referees I know would never be able to pull off. At the same time, there are guys that have establish a level of rapor with the players so quick and so strong that I could never pull it off, yet they keep everyone relaxed with their quips and constant jabber. Often making the call and clearly and briefly describing the call to the player with the questioning look helps everyone, usually the parents the most.

AYSO is a safer place for referees - remember that when you step out on the field for USSF matches. Again, all parents and coaches recognize that you are a volunteer, and you have an organization that is set up to give you a safe place (emotionally and physically) to work. But if you enjoy refereeing, and want to step it up a bit, the move to USSF isn't too traumatic. And the game fees do help to pay for all the jerseys you need....

4. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    okay, say I'm a young kid that would like to be a professional referee when he grows up. I'm already certified with the USSF and all that, and I ref a ton, but what do I need to do when I get older to ref higher games
    Austen

5. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    There is no such thing as a professional referee outside the EPL. Even Pierluigi Collina works (worked) part-time as a Financal Advisor.

To referee higher level games, you need to be inspected to gain higher level badges. Grade 8 referees officiate youth matches, and from there you work your way up to Grade 1, through the various panels and onto the FIFA Referee List. Promotion is a combination of further training, periodic inspections and assessments by qualified Referee Coaches, and various written exams and field tests. Along the way, there are various Talent Identification and Acceleration programmes that you will be nominated for or invited to if you display the neccessary levels of ability. These usually take the form of representative tournaments.

I would contact your local USSF referee coordinator and express your interest in progressing. The administration is always interested in referees who have a commitment to their refereeing career, and will provide the neccessary support and opportunities.

6. ButIGotTheBall

ButIGotTheBall New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Heaven? ....No, Iowa
    Austen,

Depending on the participation level of USSF games in your area, you will most likely have to work high school and college games to pick up the experience you need to advance through the USSF ranks. There usually are not enough USSF leagues and/or tournaments to gain sufficient experience to reach USSF National by the time you're in your late 20's.

If you're lucky your state HS athletic association uses the DSC. If not you'll need to do a lot of learning and un-learning of techniques. It is all but necessary to have HS experience in order to work college games. At the same time you'll want to be working USSF games of comparable ages as well.

Typical career paths of current National/FIFA refs are they started HS-age games in their late teams and progressed up to college-level play by 25 and sometime before 30 made national.

But the first step would be to get in touch with you State Referee Administrator to help you get in touch with the local assignors in your area and let them know of your desires. If you demonstrate a willingness to work at the trade and come with a postive attitude you will be helped along.

Good Luck!

7. docp

docp New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Austin, there is some truth to what Caesar. I presume you would like to progress to a USSF National or FIFA referee and work A League, MLS & International (maybe even World Cup) matches. First, let your your SRA (State Refere ADministrator) know your goal & ask for help and guidance to get there. Second, make sure you get yourself into a career that allow you the time and money to be that serious a referee. Self employed sales people or business owners have the best life style for becoming a big time referee. Also, research what Brian Hall did. Contact him and let him know your asperations and ask for his advice.

Doc

8. docp

docp New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Oh, by the way, the best advice I have heard in 35 years of refereeing was fom a national referee. He said be empathetic to the players situation. And you can responnd to anything anyone says with "I understand, I'll take care of it" This is great because it acknowleges the person and his or her concern (complaint). And yet, you have not committed to anything specific.

Doc

9. Trigger

Trigger New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    al'right dave ?
    To give an english perspective. For any of those reading.
    The best advice is to start young. Takes a while as you have to build up through the non league divisions and if your dedication is good through those years you'll find yourself on the fast track.
    My father has been refereeing over 30 years, he's trained referee's 15 of them and is the head of the London Football Associations disciplinary comission, was even feature on TV as the head of the ' hanging commitee ' a few years back.
    The fact is the younger you get into refereeing the greater chance you have of progressing. Be prepared to pay your dues early but remember as you move up each level you are nearer and nearer the world stage.

10. Ruud_van_horseface

Ruud_van_horseface New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Last fall someone asked me to do AYSO U10 games so I did and really liked it (except for watching their crapy boring games). now I am going to college and looking for some cash so I want to become professional. can someone update the websites or tell me who to contact or how to take courses. I live in Southern California, Los Angeles area.

11. Citiref

Citiref New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    The minimum age for professional USSF officials is 23, and you have to progress throught the ranks first, which takes a few years.

In AYSO however, you only have to be 18, but you still have to earn the appropriate grade.

Here are some USSF links from your area:
    http://www.calsouth.com/referees.htm
    http://www.californiareferee.org/clinics.html

12. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what you mean by professional USSF official, but it sounds like all he wants is to get paid for refereeing. In Iowa, you have to be 12 to become a USSF grade 8 referee and get paid to ref games.

You need to find a local referee instructor, and take the class. Since I don't live in Southern California and don't know their website, I would ask your friend who got you involved to help you find a name of a local referee instructor or assignor.

13. Citiref

Citiref New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Oops, that's what I get for typing quick and not checking...

National Referee is what I meant.

14. Ruud_van_horseface

Ruud_van_horseface New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    thanks for the info.
    I checked the website and the only Entry level clinic in the LA area is in late July, is that natural? because there is at least one clinic in OC every month and that's at least one hour away for my house. :(

15. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Today I finished my entry level USSF classroom work and easily passed the test. I'm looking forward to doing some games now.

16. BC_Ref

BC_Ref New Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Good luck. At the younger ages, the kids are generally fine - it is the parents and coaches who generally start the problem.

Just got off of two games Sunday in miserable conditions. Near zero temps (Celcsius) plus windchill, snow and then rain for both games. This after two games on Saturday in the sun with about 6 or 7 degree temperatures (balmy for Vancouver).

And all on a gravel field (the poor man's version of "all weather" turf) :)

But, the players were enjoyable and didn't cause any problems. And no one got hypothermia or turned an unattractive shade of blue.

17. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    For everyone's information, i run a referee resource website called RefPlanet.com, which contains a database of referee resources for all sports.

It's a new website so the database isn't as large as i'd like it to be for the moment, but if you want to have a look feel free, and certainly submit new listings if you know of resources that are missing.

http://www.refplanet.com

18. indybar

indybar New Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Hmm... I'm starting to get interested after reading this, but I wear glasses. Would that be a problem in refereeing?

19. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    You know, in about seven years of refereeing soccer, basketball, flag football, and softball, I only ever had one comment about my glasses. I carded the guy. It was his second card. :cool:

The only other time it was a problem was in a match where it was raining so intensely I couldn't even see through the lenses anymore.

20. easternlatincup

easternlatincup New Member

Dec 8, 2005
    What about if I'm a foreigner studying in university in USA?

21. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    That would be an advantage. If you have an accent, people will assume that you know the game better than they do. :D

22. easternlatincup

easternlatincup New Member

Dec 8, 2005
    Well, I'm Asian, actually. And, I mean, am I allowed to take part in refereeing?

23. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Yes. On the USSF registration, you have to state your country of birth and country of citizenship. Non-citizens may have to present proof of legal residency in the US.

24. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RAIN is a good reason for wearing your black baseball cap while refereeing.

It may not be official, but it does improve vision. No, make that allow vision! ;)

25. eMili@no

eMili@no New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Italy
    The referee is the hardest position in Football .. It's so easy criticyze or offend a Referee: you have to look at 22 players, plus the coach and the other players. ;)

I can tell you, with proud, that I am a Referee .. :cool:

p.s. Sorry for the English .. :rolleyes: