Real how to become a referee thread

Discussion in 'Referee' started by jmeissen0, Aug 5, 2002.

1. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    The correct names for the center circle are "referee containment area" and "circle of excellence".

AlextheRef, Beau Dure, dadman and 4 others repped this.
  2. funsoccer12

funsoccer12 Member

Oct 23, 2016
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    A local assignor keeps sending out emails telling center referees that they are supposed to leave the center circle during the game.

dadman repped this.
  3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does mine. You wouldn't happen to be in NC would you!

4. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We keep telling one of our assignors he needs to leave the circle of excellence. :cool:

dadman and djmtxref repped this.
  5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Laugh it up guys. I actually have a doctor's note saying I'm a lot less likely to pull a hamstring ambling around that circle than "sprinting" up and down that darn touch line.

dadman, voiceoflg and IASocFan repped this.
  6. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I'll have to remember that the next time I am assigned a center on a full size field. Just have to make sure I have great ARs!

dadman repped this.
  7. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    "Hey guys, I'll cover the center Circle. If I'm out of position, back me up. Let's have fun out there."

AlextheRef, RefIADad, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I think there might be an applicable OSHA rule too.

Law5 repped this.
  9. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    If DeNiro tells me the Circle of Trust is where I want to be, who am I to disagree?

10. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'm doing the online modules ahead of my Grade 8 in-person session, and I find some of the wording rather odd. The intro module I watched is a five-minute warning that "competitive" players may be more likely to talk back than "recreational" players.

I'm not expecting to do "competitive" youth soccer. But in DC/Virginia, I didn't see any option for taking a Grade 9 course, and their qualification chart says no game experience or prior training is required before training for Grade 8.

Is there no real difference between Grade 9 and Grade 8?

I won't be going any farther. You wouldn't want to see me attempt the Grade 7 fitness test.

11. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I believe Grade 9 is for younger youth games (and younger referees). I think Grade 9 refs are eligible to ref U12 and below or AR youth games.

South Texas is implementing Grade 9 as a young kid referee grade, 11 and 12 years old at the time of certification. Grade 8 will be for entry level refs of all ages and any referees over 12 but under 18. Technically Grade 8 refs are not supposed to do adult games.

12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Yea, that doesn't play out.

13. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I believe some states did away with grade 9.

Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  14. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Grade 9 is for very young kids who might want to get into reffing, but are not old enough for an 8. Grade 8 is the true entry level ref position.

CT has not had formal grade 9 ref certification in the 10 yrs I have been a ref.

I remember when I started reffing. Did a U10 rec AR. Could not believe how much harder it was then I thought it would be. So much more to look for and think about then as a player or coach.

10 years later, I ref adult latino league and college club and love it. Never bothered with getting the grade 7 because I don't need it. Did 170 games last year and on track to beat that this year. Getting paid to exercise is the greatest thing ever!!! Getting paid to assign ain't too shabby either. Wish I got into this racket before I was 47 :(

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  15. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No kidding. My very first assignment as a (27-year-old) Grade 8 was a CR for a Men's Open game the next day. I had to panic-email my assignor to get switched to AR2 because I had no business with a whistle for that game.

dadman repped this.
  16. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Oregon does the grade 9 course only at the request of rec clubs in the more remote parts of the state. Something like four hours, all on the field, and the kids get a badge, so they can do the even smaller kids games. At least they've got insurance and can be assigned to the games. We don't offer grade 9 in the more populated areas because that's an attempt by the rec clubs to trap "their" referees so they can only do their club's games. A grade 8 with, say, a year's experience doing rec, is going to get lured away by more money on the competitive youth games.

17. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'm 48. We'll see how this goes.

emerson430a and dadman repped this.
  18. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    PA-West eliminated Grade 9 about 5 years ago because apparently some were getting assigned inappropriately, i.e. Competitive centers. It was a great stepping stone or terminal niche, depending on the kid. Discontinuation put a dent in our new numbers since the G9 class was shorter/cheaper. So now the newbies I get are harder to come by and more valuable to retain.

19. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    All the best. I know plenty of people who got into officiating late in their career like mid 50s and 1 gentlemen in his 60s.

dadman repped this.
  20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'm looking forward to your report from your first game!

dadman repped this.
  21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    My wife would say you're still trainable.

emerson430a, dadman, IASocFan and 4 others repped this.
  22. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC/Virginia had grades 9s, but they've basically discontinued it. I think they may still do a grade 9 individually if the situation warrants it, but basically it's non-existent. Good luck! I know a good amount of people in your area. If you need anything, let me know.

23. emerson430a

emerson430a New Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Sep 11, 2023
    I couldn't agree more!!! The predictability of a higher skilled match makes officiating easier, in many ways. The older and more skilled the players there is the certainty that you'll deal with personality challenges or authority challenges, but at least the play is predictable. It just means being in a better position to see and assess. Also, below U10 every out of bounds seems to clang off of three or four players in a completely random fashion, to the point where if feels like you're almost better off using an "alternate possession" type mindset. I'm being facetious, obviously, but it definitely feels like it some times.

DefRef and RefModeExplode repped this.
  24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy thread revival, Batman!! 5 1/2 years is a long time…..

dadman repped this.
  25. the_phoenix612

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 13, 2022
    Houston, TX
    Video feedback on how the students/refs carry themselves and speak. In law school I had a number of classes/workshops that involved being recorded giving an argument so that I could see what I looked and sounded like, and it was extremely helpful.

So many refs I work with have no idea what they look like on the field...