Ready for the Samba - Tatu Bola -Jogo Bonito Show? The 2014 WC Thread!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by charlie15, May 19, 2014.

1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The season is over on a glorious note for the Gooners! It is time for a new thread on the Brazil 20014! We need to keep ourselves busy until the Community Shield! ;) ;)

Will Brazil become the first Pentacampeão (five-time champions)? Will Spain repeat? Will England get out of their Group of Death? What about the Stars and Stripes? Who will be the surprises?
    Will my team Argentina win a WC 28 years after Mexico 86? :)

upload_2014-5-19_11-30-8.jpeg
    [​IMG]

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect a ton of 'home cooking' in Brasil's benefit. And would be over the moon if the USA could get out of their group (I give us a 25% chance). England will do decently well, as long as Roy let's 'em play.

3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be a national disaster if Brazil does not win this WC on their home soil. Having said that, I am totally unimpressed by their team selection.Fred and Jo are not going to scare too many defenders these days.

4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Belgium as a dark horse for me.

France, interesting—Deschamps opting for team unity over straight talent by leaving Nasri out. Great attacking options, workmanlike midfielders, decent defenders.

Ivory Coast-ridiculous attackers: Forwards: Didier Drogba (Galatasaray/TUR), Gervinho (Roma/ITA), Salomon Kalou (Lille/FRA), Wilfried Bony (Swansea/ENG), Giovanni Sio (Basel/SUI), Mathis Bolly (Duesseldorf/GER), Seydou Doumbia (CSKA Moscow/RUS), Lacina Traore (Everton/ENG)

Yaya in the midfield. Defenders aren't too shabby.

5. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've watched nearly every World Cup match since 1982, the first year it was really shown on national TV. I have very vague memories of WC '78-no TV coverage to speak of. I think they treated the Finale like it was a closed circuit top boxing match-shown on closed circuit.

I am hopeful ESPN is showing all of the matches on the iPad/iPhone.

The strange thing is, I am not that enthusiastic about any particular team, and many of the matches are boring. Completely lacks the passion of the regular league.

And yet, I've nearly seen every game for the last 32 years. Go figure.

6. gogunners14

gogunners14 Member+

Dec 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Charlie, I thought your team was France?

I love WC summers. Such a nice distraction from the lack of club football and the oppressive heat in DC.

7. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    World Cups are the best sport moments ever imo, bringing all kinds of passionate fans together.

I guess it's 3 and out for the USMNT, Ronaldo's unstoppable if he's in good form, Germany speaks for itself and Ghana is USMNT's kryptonite.

My country Mexico on the other hand is going to deal with the likes of Cameroon, Brazil and Croatia.
    Brazil will obviously win (although they've got a pretty bad record against us), we're good enough to beat Cameroon. Croatia has two of the best midfielders in the world playing for them, they seem stronger than us. I guess we have to battle with them for the 2nd spot.

I expect Spain and Chile to advance, don't think Netherlands are good enough to advance to the next round with their horrible defense.

Tournament winner: Brazil or Germany.

8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, Argentina since 1978. The first WC I saw on TV....Fell in love with the Kempes, Ardiles, Passarella, Gallego, Fillol, Tarantini and al and been rooting for them since then. Followed them in France in 98 and in Germany in 06 (heartbreaking losses in 1/4 in both...).
    France is my second choice tough as well as the US. France and Argentina will get out of their group easily. I am worry about the US though, they got the worse draw possible with Germany, Portugal and Ghana.

9. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium really aren't a "dark horse" - everyone expects them to make an impact.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  10. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anyone outside the usual winners, to me, is a dark horse. it's semantics, lots of teams go deep if belgium win it's a long shot.

11. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see . . . and agree.

12. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No no no. Dammit man. I want to fight about the meaning of "dark horse" for 3 more pages. Did you forget this is the internet??

13. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The thing about the USA's group is that those other three teams all have to play each other, too. I think 25% chance odds are probably about right -- I don't think it's impossible by any means, and there's a good likelihood we could go through, but it's not likely.

Don't get me started on the way they do pots for the World Cup. It's a joke.

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember vividly when the US ambushed Portugal in Japan/Korea WC in 2002, leading 3-0 before half time and winning the game 3-2.
    It was a strong Portugal team at the time, with Couto, Rui Costa, Figo, Pinto and Pauleta. May be they will repeat..... ;)

15. GloryhuntingMuppet

Mar 16, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The main betting should be on whether or not all the stadiums will be usable by the WC start.

16. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll place a bet that one stadium will be stolen by street urchins.

maskito repped this.
  17. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Is it horrible to want this WC to be a complete failure which will compile with the next couple WC failures to come if it forces a change at FIFA?

Fifty repped this.
  18. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that still in question? (I haven't been paying attention :unsure:).

19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wishful thinking there....Fifa is a corrupt gerontocracy and they are not accountable to anyone. The change would have to start from the national federations themselves, but when you look closely they are even worse. Just think about it, a crook like Julio Grondona has been in charge of the AFA (Argentina) since 1978. Insane....

20. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well I guess I will continue to be wishful

21. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a USMNT fan and diehard, I am afraid this will turn into 2006 all over again. Maybe a couple of calls will go in our favor against the norm this year.

Brazil will be vulnerable only because their strikers are suspect. Smart money is on Germany. I think Belgium makes the semi-finals this year. Holland and England will be letdowns. France will salvage pride.

22. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am calling a Spain versus Germany final if the groups allow or a Germany Brazil.

23. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I bet on football games from time to time, and definitely going to do some games on the World Cup.

But here's something odd I found;

Apparently the odds that a player scores more than 5 goals in a game are 3000 to 1. :eek:

24. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scolari is opening himself up to a tsunami of criticism if they don't win.

As far as the US is concerned, they need a perfect storm in their group just to get to the round of 16.

EDIT: Wonder how many offers did Our Lady of Guadalupe got in order for Mexico to get the group they got.

No, not bitter at all, why do you ask?

25. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil won their fifth in 2002 in Korea/Japan

Roger Allaway and DaPrince84 repped this.