Reading v West Ham, Sat Sept 1 pre/during/post (R)

Discussion in 'Reading FC' started by willykirk, Aug 31, 2007.

1. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where's the chatter men? holy moly to one rumour coming true--rosenior in, SKH out. what's our lineup gonna' look like? we better get the points and keep ahead of our 1 pt per game pace.

come on you royals!

2. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prediction:

6-1:D

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Marcus
    murts Inga Bikey Shorey
    Fae Harper Gunn Hunt
    Doyle Lita

is my guess for the lineup, as I think they're all healthy right now. I don't see Oster starting, so I think the position has been handed to Fae (who looked all right). Murts might be hurt, which would mean DLC.

And we're gonna win.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Duberry for Bikey, and that's the lineup. I think with the possible addition of bikey or sonko, and barring more injuries, this is our lineup for the next couple months.

5. YankeeHoo

YankeeHoo New Member

Aug 10, 2004
    NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very good to see murts back in the mix... possibly one of our strongest benches to date as well

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good point. This is what we're supposed to look like. Just sonko and little still out, correct.

Reading sound good in an even game. But given the cursed results of last week, no pbp from me this week.

7. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You know, I'm thinking cricket is a pretty good game. And I've always liked basketball, and tennis...

F,F,F,F,F,F,F,F,F.
    I say. Bellamy scores in the sixth or seventh minute.

9. YankeeHoo

YankeeHoo New Member

Aug 10, 2004
    NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn- seems like you're damned if you pbp, damned if you dont

10. Derrida

Derrida New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    NH, USA
    I liked it when Reading used to score goals.

11. YankeeHoo

YankeeHoo New Member

Aug 10, 2004
    NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any chance of a halftime recap??

12. norwaytips

norwaytips Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Watching the game in Norway. Good game, I think. Reading attacking most of the time, whilst the Hammers seem content to defend and counter attack.
    Anybody's game, but I'll be happy if it stays as it is. :p COYI

13. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading still can't score. There's your recap.

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    With the hope that I'm not cursing them further, Reading have a lot of the ball, and have had several pretty decent attempts. Gunn had a nice header. Hunt put one off the bar. Fae has looked quite nifty.

But Doyle has not scored this season, and I'm getting concerned.

15. Derrida

Derrida New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    NH, USA
    Oh come on.

16. YankeeHoo

YankeeHoo New Member

Aug 10, 2004
    NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i should never have asked.. 0-2 (etherington)- apparently it was a real cracker

17. YankeeHoo

YankeeHoo New Member

Aug 10, 2004
    NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kits on for fae, 63'

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We're not good enough to win on skill. We have to outfight people, and we're not doing that. course, west ham is playing well on the counter. marcus makes a big save on a one on one just now.
    Our inability to score is pissing me off.:mad:

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    can anyone else believe this crap?now we're missing a pk... Doyle missed, btw.

Convey is on, Cisse is on.

20. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn it.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, deep breath...

We went through a couple rough spells last year as well. We're all right.
    We're creating some interesting stuff, just not converting. Our strikers should be able to score eventually.It's looking like it's going to be a dogfight to through 38 games this year, but that's okay.
    We'll get this ship righted.
    Convey is creating havoc right now, lots of interesting balls in. That would be a big positive, if he got back up to full speed.
    Marcus has played well. Back line is, at times, getting eaten alive. Midfield is pushing down all right, probably our strongest position.

22. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good time for the international break, I guess.

23. lestat2x

lestat2x Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Couldn't find a stream for the game so I ended up watching Tottenham - Fulham. This has been one heck of an interesting match and definitely one I'm glad I didn't miss.

24. Derrida

Derrida New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    NH, USA
    Two goals in five games.

Zero goals in the last 225 minutes.

Outscored 0-6 in the last two games.

I'll take a deep breath, but it still doesn't look good in any light. Still, nothing to do but keep the faith and look to the future, I suppose.

25. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the movie world, a film that divides opinions is Bill Murray’s Lost in Translation. Some hate it, some love it. I’m in the latter camp, but as much as I enjoy it, I’ll have to concede that not a lot happens. Today’s game reminded me of it in some respects. In lasted 90 minutes, and from a Reading point of view, who naturally I’m very keen on, virtually nothing happened. The similarities more or less end there, as there was nothing enjoyable about this hour and a half, nor did it at any stage feature Scarlett Johansson walking around in her underwear. It did, on the other hand, require “more intensity” from a team who look worrying knackered both mentally and physically before the shadows have even started to get long in the evenings, and who, as a result, turned in a performance befitting a team who’ll be relegated come May.

Perhaps best would be to describe it in as little detail as possible. From the moment Craig Bellamy put West Ham ahead in just the sixth minute, there only looked one winner. One of many West Ham breaks found Bellamy in enough room to reverse a caravan, but instead he chose to hit a shot across Hahnemann, who inexplicably made no effort to try and save the shot, and put West Ham ahead. Similar moves resulted in two more goals in the second half, and ought to have resulted in more, and that is all Reading have to be thankful for.

Between those, Hunt hit the crossbar and Doyle, badly, missed a penalty, as the team looked to have less idea than fashion model who’d strolled into a quantum physics exam. It was a performance that long hard winters are made of. Things did improve slightly when Convey and Kitson came on towards the end, but Reading’s ship had been holed below the water-line long before then. Only time will tell whether Reading’s traditional “all hands to the pumps” approach will save the day, or if the good ship premiership is sinking. Make no mistake. Play like this too often and Reading’s season will be barnacle-encrusted before Christmas.