Reading United AC

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by ReadingUnited, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Reading United PDL Roster
    Name, Position, College/University
    Fatai Alashe, Holding Midfielder, Michigan State
    Stephen Baker, Forward,University of Pennsylvania
    Alex Bono, Goalkeeper, Syracuse
    Shane Campbell, Defender, Penn State
    Pete Caringi, Forward, UMBC
    Wes Charpie, Midfielder, South Florida
    Kedeem Deacres, Forward/ Midfield, UMBC
    Jonny Doezal, Defender, University of Pennsylvania
    Bryce Follensbee, Forward, Tulsa
    Cesar Lopez-Castillo, Midfielder, University of Rio Grande
    Damion Lowe, Defender, Hartford
    Darius Madison, Forward, University of Virginia
    Dante Marini, Midfielder, Northeastern University
    Jarred Martinelli, Forward, Temple
    John McCarthy, Goalkeeper, LaSalle University
    Billy McConnell, Defender, Player Development Academy
    Larry Ndjock, Forward, Loyola
    Steve Neumann, Midfielder, Georgetown University
    Ciaran Nugent, Goalkeeper, Lehigh University
    Jimmy Ockford, Midfielder, Louisville
    Aleksi Pahkassalo, Midfielder, Lindsey Wilson College
    Mario Pinto Neto, Forward, Lincoln Memorial
    Jason Plumhoff, Midfielder, LaSalle University
    Keegan Rosenberry, Midfielder, Georgetown University
    Marcus Salandy-Defour, Midfielder, University of Virginia
    Manolo Sanchez, Midfielder, Clemson
    Patrick Slogic, Defender, Cornell
    Melvin Snoh, Midfielder, Georgetown University
    Ben Sweat, Defender, South Florida
    Jordan Vale, Midfielder, Syracuse
    Brad Vanino, Midfielder, St. Bonaventure
    Jamie Vasquez, Forward, Millersville

2. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Reading United 8 - Westchester Flames 0

Mario Pinto Neto with the hat trick as Reading rolls, quite the season opening statement. Up next, Tuesday's U.S. Open Cup tilt against defending NPSL champion Lehigh Valley Sonic in Reading. Winner hosts the Harrisburg City Islanders, should be an interesting match between PDL and NPSL powers.

3. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Reading handles Lehigh Valley 2-0 tonight on a cool night at Oley Valley High School. Decent crowd for a Tuesday night match away from the usual home venue, very strong performance by Reading who twice hit the post and dominated possession. Goals by Darius Madison (after a nice square pass from Larry Ndjock) and an incredible strike from Steve Neumann, a rocket blasted from a tough angle. Good showing from Neumann, he's a very capable midfielder, perhaps a Graham Zusi if he can polish his restarts, and Mario Pinto showed pretty well too despite not scoring. Ben Sweat and Manolo Sanchez also looked decent, Manolo more so in the first half. Reading is big, fast, and technically savvy. Lehigh Valley played stout defensively but didn't threaten or possess the ball enough. Reading gets to host the City Islanders next Tuesday, it should be another tight Open Cup showdown, although Reading will have played 48 hours earlier and Harrisburg will have a few extra days of rest.

4. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Reading United improves to 2-0 on the PDL season with a 3-0 over the New Jersey Rangers. Goals by Neumann, Baker, and Plumhoff. Next up: Tuesday's home Open Cup against fellow Philly Union affiliate, the Harrisburg City Islanders. Tomorrow's forecast is for warm temperatures in the mid-80s with afternoon thunderstorms, a big bummer as this could be a great match.

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    READING UNITED AC. Reading United AC edged the Harrisburg City Islanders, 1-0, on a goal by Brazilian Mario Pinto-Neto in a battle of Philadelphia Union affiliates to move into the third round against the New York Red Bulls.

Reading, which set an amateur record by qualifying for the Open Cup for the fifth year in a row, has won its first four games of the 2013 season by a 14-0 margin. Its starting lineup included Jamaican Damion Lowe (son of former Reggae Boy Onandi Lowe) from Hartford and Soccer America MVP Steve Neumann from Georgetown.

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    final...
    Ottawa Fury 3
    Reading United 2

8. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    The same thing seems to happen to Reading every year, they open the season with a dynamite roster, thrash the opposition, then throughout the summer they lose key players to professional tryouts in Europe or summer school. By the time the playoffs begin, the team is missing those key players or they return and haven't been with the team in a while. United still had a great season, but they weren't the same squad that opened the year, both in terms of their fluidity and the players wearing their kit. No excuses, however, because Ocean City was legit and Ottawa has been a solid squad, it just would be nice to see the team stay intact throughout the PDL season. Oh well, MLS will come calling after several guys and as long Brendan Burke is involved, I'd expect the team to sign another bumper crop of prospects next summer.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading United AC president & General Manager Art Auchenbach has been heavily involved in the local soccer playing and coaching community for more than 20 years, and recently took the time to answer our questions about building and maintaining a successful PDL franchise.

What inspired you to acquire a USL franchise?

The franchise was not performing well. The ownership was fragmented or not involved with the team operations. Some of the original owners and staff were forced to leave the program. The former head coach, Derek Broadley, was leaving to take over the Bermuda National Team program and asked if I could get involved. I said I would, provided he got all uninvolved owners to sell their shares to local ownership (Troy Snyder and me). We are fortunate to now have a strong ownership group, who has a blend of soccer and business experience, who share the same philosophy on our team goals.

What is your favorite aspect of owning a USL franchise/team?

Giving local youth the opportunity to interact with the future stars of the game, and providing a platform for top-level talent to gain exposure and kick off to the next level. It's an honor when guys like Damion Lowe and Jason Plumhoff, who may not have been known as well on the national stage before our season, are able to use our platform to prove themselves on the field (as 2013 All PDL Selections). It's also very cool when my son, his friends, and other local youth can tell everyone that they had CJ Sapong (Sporting KC), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Andrew Wenger (Montreal Impact), and Ray Gaddis (Philadelphia Union) all at a single soccer camp they attended. No one else in our area can offer this level of talent to the local soccer family.

What differentiates your franchise from others?

We try to run everything as professionally as possible for our players. The smallest details, like game-day inserts, player introductions, pre-match team meals, staff uniforms, etc. are a source of pride for our organization. We want our players, fans, and opposing teams to know that we strive for a professional-level experience. Additionally our staff (Troy Snyder-Former US Mens National Team, Brendan Burke-Philadelphia Union Assistant Coach, Ged Quinn-Former PDL player and collegiate All American) sets our program apart due to the many playing perspectives we can offer to our players, and fans.

What words of advice would you provide to potential franchise owners?

Be involved. This is a labor of love and without active ownership you will not have a strong franchise.

Where do you see your franchise in 3-5 years?

I'd like to see more sponsorship and more youth soccer programming to allow us to hire two-to-three additional full-time staff. Hopefully a PDL National Championship will be here before then also!

What is your franchise' greatest accomplishment to date?

Setting the U.S. Open Cup record with our fifth consecutive U.S. Open Cup berth for an amateur team, highlighted this year by beating the NPSL National Champions in the 1st round, a USL Pro team in the 2nd round, and playing against NY Red Bull at Red Bull Arena in the 3rd round.

What traits do you find valuable when adding members to your staff?

Hard work; a love of the game; attention to detail.

How does your previous employment/business experience translate into running a successful sports franchise?

I am an engineer by degree, so I guess some of the operational details come easy to me. I am also a partner in a sales representative firm, so some of the sales/marketing aspects of my day-to-day business lend a hand.

Who has been the greatest influence in your career?

My family growing up. I am the oldest of eight and we all played soccer. Without the game, and my family's experiences with it, I likely wouldn't be doing what I am doing today [either in soccer or my 'real' job].

11. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took the year out to make this an ongoing thread about the team.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you get that cross-posted in all 80 team threads yet?

Chesco United repped this.
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah great idea, thanks Kenn! Your suggestions are always so wonderful and greatly benefit everyone here.

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+