Reading taking shot at Onyewu

Discussion in 'Reading FC' started by ncguy, Jun 8, 2006.

1. wimpey

wimpey New Member

Jun 13, 2006
  2. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    From what I saw of Onyewu last night in the US World Cup match he didn't play too badly - he played reasonably, didn't do any worse than any of his other teammates and would do a good job

3. ChancellorElmer

ChancellorElmer New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is huge news! Gooch is awesome, love the way he plays and he is a monster in the box on headers. He'd be great to mark some of the forwards in the Premiership.

Only problem is that b/c he is 6'4'' he draws a lot of scrutiny. That's pretty much why he got the foul called on him that gave Ghana the penalty shot. He's said in interviews that he is a target for the Belgian refs.

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch has termendous physical skills and is a beast, but he's inexperienced at the highest level. He's only 15 or so caps with the senior side and he's been playing in Belgium.

That said, I've never seen a player learn from his mistakes faster than Gooch. I've witnessed it in WC Qualifiers and again in the finals these past few weeks-- he drew a Yellow four minutes into the first match and then matched up Koller and Toni (and that speedy Ghanian foward) without drawing another. He'll be an excellent investment and, in a few years, could be one of the best center backs in the EPL.

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a blurb from the Fuardian - with a great line from Coppell...

'Steve Coppell is battling Sheffield United and Monaco for John Mensah, say French papers. The Ghana international impressed in the World Cup and Rennes are ready to do a deal at around £4m for the 23-year-old. But he's ruled out a move for Fulham's Steed Malbranque. 'I've not spoken to Fulham. We can't afford him. The same goes for Ronaldinho.'

7. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they get Mensah and lose Sonko to Man City, would they be likely to go after Gooch (or another centerback) or just go with Mensah and Ingimarsson?

And indeed, a nice line from Coppell on Malbranque/Ronaldinho.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's said all along he wants to go in with two deep everywhere, so even with sodje in, he needs one more right now. If Sonko left ( I don't think Reading will sell ) that would mean one more.
    Beyond that, does anyone get the sense that they're going to sign Mensah?
    This has been a very frustrating summer.

9. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they'll probably get Mensah, simply because we've been hearing about it for quite some time and they haven't done much yet this summer. If for no other reason, they'll make sure they get him (as long as the price is reasonable) to show that they are indeed making an effort to stay up through improving when possible. I am concerned that Monaco may hav more money to offer Rennes than Madjeski if they were to make a real push for him.

10. ChancellorElmer

Jun 22, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see them get Gooch than Mensah, but that might just be a little American bias.

11. mdale10

mdale10 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be awesome if they got gooch that would be 3 americans! and I think he is a great player.

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    YEs, but Gooch is not a little american.;)

13. English_Gent

English_Gent New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Reading, England
    No need for Gooch any more i'm afraid, £3.5M bid for John Mensah has been confirmed today.

Reading always play their cards close to their chest, the fact that we even admitted to making this offer says to me the deal will be done.

14. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with getting Mensah, he's a good player and should be a good addition to the club. Gooch can get some CL games this year with Standard and maybe sign on with another Premier League team next year if he proves himself.

15. ChancellorElmer

Jun 22, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy that they are likely going to get Mensah, just would have liked to have seen Gooch playing with Marcus and Bobby.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When he's signed, he's signed. before that, it's only rumor, and we're competing with clubs with more money for pay packet.

17. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And Mensah won't be heading to Reading. according to the Times. So who now is the new centerback (I don't think bikey or sodje are more than depth).

19. mdale10

mdale10 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that he is staying in belgium at least until the winter break to maybe improve his stock in the champions league, and get attention from bigger clubs.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Time to take another look at the large American?

21. ChancellorElmer

Jun 22, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with the news that Mensah is not coming to Reading that it might be time to make a renewed bid.

22. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't think he is going to move to a non-CL club until after Standard is knocked out of it. Maybe at the winter transfer Reading could get him, but not right now.

23. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Standard is knocked out and he plays in the second game (which I'd guess he will), he would only move to a team that isn't in either the UEFA Cup or Champions League, or at least a team that doesn't think they would need him in either competition. If they do lose that second game to Steaua and Gooch knows he won't be playing in the Champions League, he may consider coming to a club in a better league where he'll see better competition than in Belgium. And the fact that Reading already has Convey and Hahnemann certainly wouldn't hurt.