[READ THE FIRST POST] The "I want to tryout for a Japanese Team" Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by goru_no_ura, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: The "I want to tryout for a Japanese Team" Thread

This.

2. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Let's say I do go to a japanese university. Do teams scout the university team players?

3. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--

This is the point. Teams ONLY scout university players, and only certain schools. Please read this entire thread regarding Japanese club scouting.

4. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

There are a lot of other considerations that you need to deal with, and if you are 15 now, its a good time to start thinking about them very carefully, and discussing them with your parents.

First, you will face one of the most important decisions of your life when you turn 18. I assume that at least one of your parents is Japanese, based on your original post. If that is the case, as long as you are a minor you do not have to make a clear decision on which nationality you take, but when you turn 18 the US will probably expect you to formalize your citizenship In Japan, you do not have to decide whether to take Japanese or another country's citizenship until you turn 20, but the danger is that if you formally confirm your US citizenship (by getting a US passport, for example), Japan will no longer allow you to claim citizenship. This is a VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE. Japan does not recognize dual citizens, so if you get a US passport, you are creating a huge barrier to any future hopes of playing football in Japan.

If you retain Japanese citizenship, then your chances of finding a club in the J.League will be MUCH MUCH easier. If you are planning to go to a Japanese university then I would recommend this choice, anyway. I suspect that the US is a lot easier in allowing you to return and then claim US citizenship based on your parents' residence there, if you change your mind later in life. In any case, tis is a VERY IMPORTANT life decision that you should discuss with your parents, and also with an immigration lawyer.

If you do take Japanese citizenship and go to school in Japan, you will have a much better range of choices for your soccer career. Not only do J.League teams scout university players directly, but it is also easier to find an agent who will introduce you to clubs, if you are Japanese. I think the suggestion that nsato posted is the best advice of all. Go to a Rapids game, and try to get Kimura's attention after the game. Im sure he will give you a few minutes of his time to give you some pointers. He might even know a scout who you can contact, to make your search for clubs easier.

Anyway, good luck.

5. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

okay just a few more questions. Both my parents aren't japanese. They're diplomats. So does that change anything?

Also can I get a list of the best universities to get scouted from in Japan (I got down the first 2) Also any in Tokyo (my hometown)

Alright guys thank you so much for helping me. Hope my dream can come true!

6. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Several of the universities in Tokyo are well represented in the J.League, with Gakugei U, Komaba U. and Chuo U probably near the top. However they are not particularly "elite" from an educational standpoint. If youre aiming high, I would recommend Tsukuba, and failing that, Waseda.

However, if you do NOT have Japanese citizenship, the bar just got a LOT higher. Reread this whole thread from the start. If you are not a Japanese citizen, then your only real hope of making it on a J.League team,after graduation is to be one of the top players in the university ranks, or to make it onto the US men's national team. It may sound harsh, but the competition for spots is just too high and Americans are not particularly "popular" as targets. If you arent NT calibre in your own country, at least at the youth level, then youre going to have to fight an uphill battle all the way.

Please dont reply again until you have read this entire thread.

7. sowgarf

sowgarf New Member

Jul 12, 2010

Hi, It is been 2 years i am trying to have a tryout over japan without success. Despite the fact i know Mr Troussier that didn't help me. the club where he is actually the manager "Fc Ryukyu" in J-league 3 division. I sent them my resume they saw i play a short time in Fc dijon in France and that didn't let me a tryout even if i am willing to pay all spending that cost. I still stuck in the united states with a semi-pro club but i wanna move on. I guess life it is not about ya talent it is about how you present your self .;)

8. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--

You only played a short time in Ligue 2 and now semi-pro in the US? Life IS about your talent. Of course a JFL club won't call you!

Troussier is a figurehead with connections but he's not the hiring manager.

Come to Mito if you want to pay to try out. It will be in December and cost about $100. You will not be picked.

Get professional management, join a top tier league easy to access for you, and hope for the best...

If you can't make it, there is no need to feel stuck or passed over. You just aren't good enough. There's no need to feel ashamed or embarrassed by that. 99.999% of the people on the planet are not good enough to play professionally in Japan.

9. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

A short reality check:

Japan is now in the world's top-20 for soccer, as a NT and as a domestic leagues. Probably around #15 or so, some would say higher. It is not a "soccer's third world" anymore.

The number of spectators at J.League games tops Italy's Serie A, and the Japanese NT did better than Italy, France and England in South Africa-not only as results.

In the WHOLE of Japan there are probably about 1,200-1,300 professional soccer players, including about 100-200 (estimate) in the minor leagues.

A good third of these players, probably never sees the field except for reserves games and make a salary of $2,000-5,000/mo.

Of these professional players, about 10% are not Japanese, mainly South Koreans and Brazilians.

Please consider the numbers above before thinking about getting a chance here.

10. DLucero

DLucero New Member

Oct 24, 2009

while Japan is definitely not a third world soccer team anymore as a NT and in Japan, you can not compare them to Italian, French, and especially English soccer. They are no-where close. First of all, France and Italy did not fulfill their potential, that is why they did not advance past the group stages, not because of lack of talent or being behind the Japanese. Second of all, Japan did not do better than England. Japan went to the top 16 and lost their first game too, and to be quite frankly, it never should have gone to overtime. Also, they didn't play a team as difficult as Germany. Most people in Japan never even expected Japan to win ANY of its games, let alone get past the knockout stages. They were even calling for the removal of the coach.

The point is not to bash the Japanese level of soccer, but to say that while they are definitely not a third world country anymore, you still can not compare them with the good south american countries or Europeans. Especially at the League level for the Europeans. Also, the number of speculators in Japan might top Series A only because there are tons of Davids among Goliath's. Japan has nothing which can compare to the attendance or quality of soccer of Inter, AC, Juventus, or Roma. That's nothing to be ashamed of, but they just don't.

While what you are trying to say is correct, some of the examples you are using seem a little skewed.

11. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

He said Japan is top-20, around 15.
    That doesn't seem skewed at all to me.
    Spin it however you want, Japan did better at the WC than England, Italy, and France... among other European countries that I think most of these "I want to play in Japan because it should be easy" aspirants wouldn't consider.

I think people need to realize that the likes of MLS and ALeague are easier to make it in than JLeague. Their salary caps and total lack of competition or consequences at the bottom of the table have held them back.
    If you can't make it into MLS or ALeague... why would any JLeague club even want to talk to you? Honestly, it's a waste of their time.

12. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria

Yes, actually Honda and Matsui could have killed the game a LOT earlier if their shots had a better outcome. That boring, ultra defensive and vastly overrated team of Paraguay was clearly within reach. They should be thankful to the ref as well who was calling EVERYTHING against Japan. Fictive fouls against Japan and unjustified yellow cards and most importantly a denied penalty when Nagatomo was brought down by two players in the box, Okazaki, cornered by three players was fouled near the box only few seconds after that action but that Belgian retard called a foul against him instead.

They did actually : Earning 6 Pts out of 9 and scoring 4 goals in the first round while England earned miraculously 4 pts scoring only two goals. Get your facts straight. :rolleyes:

Japan conceded only two goals (fictive penalty resulting from a dive, and a goal resulting from a handball assist) while England conceded 5. FIVE goals.

13. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Sorry Charlie, but youve obviously not been paying attention.

Urawa Reds last year averaged almost 40,000/match. The only teams in Serie A that drew more were Roma and the two Milan clubs.

While your point about Davids and Goliaths is pretty accurate, what that means - in practice - is that the top 4-8 J.League teams could expect to avoid relegation on a consistent basis even in the "elite" leagues like EPL, La Liga and Serie A.

Sure, when you compare them to the "elite of the elite", (meaning the teams that participate in the Champions League almost every season), there is a significant gap. But similarly, the teams at the bottom end of the table in Spain, England and Italy are FAR weaker than the championship candidates, and much more on a par with the J.League. If you want to compare leagues, you have to compare the ENTIRE league, not just the top 3-4 teams.

So when Goru says that "if you cant make it in your (European) domestic league you cant make it in Japan", he is quite correct. Nobody is saying you have to be a starter for Barcelona to make it here. Nobody is that deluded. But if you arent good enough to at least make the reserve squad for Zaragoza or Santader, you probably wont make it in Japan.

-----------
    Finally - and this is the most important point - the reason people in Japan were calling for Okada's head is that everyone with a tiny amount of knowledge of football knew that he wasnt choosing the "best team available". That has no bearing on how good the Japan NT is - on the contrary, it suggests the exact opposite.
    I think most people who have followed the NT closely will agree that Japan could have done better, and certainly could have done just as well (while playing less defensive football) if they had sent different players and a more aggressive coach. We all give Okada credit for what he DID achieve, but dont assume that means Japan outperformed what we view as their legitimate potential.

14. DLucero

DLucero New Member

Oct 24, 2009

Wow, I sure got a lot of quick replies. Must have struck a nerve. For one thing, everyone knows that the first couple games in the group stages, the best teams are not so interested in. Teams like Japan who have no history in the world cup try to do their best every game and barely make it (because they were in a weak group). The more experienced teams never really start playing well until the very end, because of the way they train. They prepare for the final game, not the group stages. So comparing the number of goals English scored or had scored on them compared to Japan doesn't really make sense.

But really it seems funny to me that the people here are the only people I have ever heard of who think so highly of the J league. Even Japanese people and Japanese soccer players think European leagues are much better. However, it is true that it is very difficult to play on a Japanese team if you are not Japanese. That I can not argue with. Their system is meant to develop Japanese players, not get the best teams available.

If anyone replies to my response arguing with my post, I will not answer it, because it is a complete waste of time to talk to people who are in love with the J league and thus do not see clearly. Don't get me wrong. I think J league soccer is not bad, as far as countries are concerned. Japan is one of the best countries in Asia, without a doubt. But they can not compare to European soccer, they just can't. Anyway, enough said.

The real reason I wanted to reply back to this post was to give everyone out there another reality check. Yes, what these guys have said is very very true. If you are not Japanese, the hurdle gets MUCH higher and the barriers are MUCH stronger. Which should make you ask yourself a question: if you really are good enough to play in the J league without being Japanese (or Brazilian) then you are good enough to play in Europe (like these guys have said). That being said, if you are good enough to play in Europe, why would you want to play in the J league?? In Europe you will find better competition, better exposure, better salaries... the only reason someone at that level would want to play in the J league is because they really really love the culture here and care more about living in Japan than about their professional soccer career. If that if your case, then that is fine. But if not, you might want to re-think your strategy.

15. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

:confused:
    .... tell it to the Dutch :rolleyes:

16. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Well there goes your credibility.
    Barely made it? Japan had more points than England in one of the toughest groups and only lost to Netherlands, a finalist, on a hand-ball-generated goal. Pffft.

So what you're saying is that England makes it a point to prepare for the Round of 16 match ... maybe Quarterfinals at best... and that's why we can't compare them?
    What a riot.

Because you know Japan is the only country to put a limit on foreigners per club. Oh, wait, no they aren't. So do Spain and Italy.

fixed your post

17. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Well, England saved energies and prepared so well for the next stage that they got trashed 1-4... wow... :)

You seem to believe the only serious soccer is played in Europe and S.America, while Japan's best player ever is still Kazu Miura...

...but what most of the world has seen is that in the World Cup -the highest expression of world soccer- Kawashima was a better goalie than ANY from England, Tulio Tanaka and Nakazawa were WAY more impressive than Terry and any other British centerbacks, and Honda did surely better than any English offensive player. By large.

It doesn't disturb me at all that people like you keep downplaying Japanese soccer. It is actually a huge advantage for us, until it lasts...

To conclude, fyi you might want to know that probably less than 10% of people in this forum are Japanese. I am not, for example, and I have been following, playing and coaching soccer for more than 35 years... :cool:

18. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Oh, by the way, this is a great attitude... :rolleyes:

19. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

Whether you're right or wrong, people here get defensive real quick when someone new or someone from another board posts something that they don't want to hear.

20. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Well, I lived through about 8 years of kinda mediocre Japanese soccer, and then another 8 of so-so stuff, until the magic of this summer. I feel that I, as many fans (some of them in this forum), have been through a lot while following Japanese soccer. I guess our game by now should have earned some respect...

Don't be surprised if we're unhappy when people tries to downplay Japan's achievement, especially after South Africa, especially without bringing up wrong data, decent evidence and by saying that "if you disagree, I won't reply..." :cool:

21. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

And while you're at it, remind them not to try so hard in the group stage next time and to think about the final instead. No wonder they didn't beat Spain, using up all of their wins on weak sides like Denmark, Cameroon and Japan. :rolleyes:

22. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Just out of curiosity, do you spend any time outside of this part of the forum? Had he said this over at another part of BS they'd be insulting him with name-calling and such, and the moderator would ignore all of that and ban him for the first comment they didn't like.

Replying and pointing out his fallacies isn't "getting defensive". Sorry, it's a joke to say England prepares for the Final. The last time they made it to the Final was over 40 years ago. The last time they made it to the Semis was probably before you were born as well.

Just as his over-reaction to Gora saying Japan is top-20, around 15, was skewed because we don't take European soccer seriously enough. Somebody is having a laugh. Nobody whose watched both can honestly say SPL is better than JLeague.

Defensive? I doubt it. But we can be like a pack of vultures when somebody is talking out their ass.

23. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Alright I rad the whole thread, and f ound a lot of inofrmation.
    So basically, just tell me if this is a good plan.

I'm going to try to get into a good university with football included. Try to be the best in the team, and try to get scouted. And I'll send a lot of videos of my skills as well. I may also play in small teams, and try to know people to improve my ways of getting "up there."

Is that a good way to get up to the JFL, J2?

24. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria

Gora was actually very modest.

I would rate J-League as a 11/10 th best league in the world approximatively. :) If the defensive/goalkeeping standards were higher it would be a lot better than that. Technically speaking it's one of the top leagues in the world already.

1. Premier League
    2. Liga
    3. Bundesliga
    4. Serie A
    5. Ligue 1
    6. Brazilian League
    7. Argentinian League
    8. RPL
    9. Chilean League.
    10. Portuguese League
    11. J-League
    12. Eredivisie.
    The rest.

I am not actually sure if the Liga Sagres and Chilean league are better than J-league since we're talking about the whole league, not just the top 4 Vs the top 4. How competitive are lower table teams ? Do they have a very solid fan base like it's the case in Japan ?

What's up with all that hype of Euro Soccer anyway ? Europe has only like 8 good leagues : The ones I named in my ranking and I have no problems admitting their superiority over J-League.

After that you have the average ones (Ukrainian, Romanian, Belgian, Greek, TSL...) the rather mediocre ones (Scandinavian, Slovakian, Czech, Polish...) and "amateurish" leagues (Baltic countries, Iceland...).

If I had anything to blame the Japanese football fans for, it would be certainly their excessive respect of Euro/South American football. :rolleyes:

That's not entirely true. Some players are good enough to play in Europe but they'd never get the salaries they have in J-League if they had to move to a top European leagues. Not even 50 % of what they're used to earn. I am particularly - but not exclusively - thinking of some foreign J-Leaguers.

Tulio was approached not so long ago by a Dutch top team but the offer was financially "so offensive" for a player of his caliber that he refused to even meet them.

25. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD

And 8 is more than 4 You listed for the whole World! Not to add that 3 of top 4 teams from WC really ARE from Europe. And those players aren't playing in Quatar or Chile (what's this thing with Chilean league?). And Eredivisie is worse than J League? How come?
    That's how nowadays Japan was built. And everyone here knows that this 'respect' and transfering ideas form Europe into Japanese ground does best. It's better not to invent the circle again but to use it in proper way.
    Sadly, I wouldn't mention this one. The biggest money in football IS in Europe and no one can change it. There are other factors than this one.
    And that's stupid explanation. Probably status of 'sakkaa god' and easy money. Not this stupid argument. It's better to play in Japan where fans knows him and probably won't criticise him after the game than go to Europe to loose first XI place after one game, hear thousends of people shouting 'GO HOME!'? There are generally two kinds of people (maybe exaggerated) - ones like Honda and ones like Tulio who won't leave Japan probably until he ends his career.
    Let Japan develop in it's own way - it's pretty fruitful! And I can see the future of Japanese football in bright colours!