[READ THE FIRST POST] The "I want to tryout for a Japanese Team" Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by goru_no_ura, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: The "I want to tryout in a Japanese Team" Thread

I apologize, I am not an expert about tryouts and contracts, I believe the best person to reply to those questions is Vendo.

By the way, jänkä, is there any way you can make some DVDs also? Some highlights and perhaps an entire (good) game you played recently?

I will be seeing some people at Kyoto about another European hopeful (totally different story/position from you), thus I could bring around your stuff too...

If you have DVDs done, please keep in mind that Japan uses the NTSC system.

2. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--

Last year tryouts were in Aichi and if memory serves all national tryouts have taken place there around the middle of the country. DLucero put the link above and it is accurate. Typically only cut J. League players attend but some outside the system have been let in from time to time. It's true that less than 2% typically make it into a pro team, but maybe 40% make it into a team of some type if including JFL or lower teams and some more can join reserve teams or take amateur spots. But almost all of them have Japanese pro experience, of course.

Individual club tryouts are announced late in the game, usually in November. The only clubs to announce this year's have been JFL or regional league teams. You'll be out at least US$110 for each one attended, and again, unless you can easily play in the equivalent level in England for example (Premier League for J1, Football League Championship for J2, etc.) you should probably not consider making that expensive trip. Not to say the teams are as good, but teams have a maximum of 3 non-Asian players and not one has EVER been taken from an open tryout at any level. I don't want to dash any dreams but that's the reality. Please, come and enjoy Japan and see the sights, and while here you can spend a day or two trying out... But if your focus is on this being a big break you'll be going home with huge disappointment.

The best method to get in to any team is to do as the Japanese do. Being scouted as a talent in a Japanese high school or university is not possible, but the next best thing is to build an association with teams and go from there. DLucero is doing it right... Move to Japan and work a normal job, or study, or whatever, and start getting to know and then practicing with players on a low level team, and get a spot if possible. Low level teams practice and play after working hours for the most part. Great players get spotted by teams the level above, and it goes from there. Either that or you can get involved with a club on the staff level like I have; if I had a shred of athletic skill I could "try out" any time I wanted that way. But this takes a few years of commitment and getting to be known by the club.

As far as salary, EVERYONE who is in Japan and not scouted from elsewhere with few exceptions starts out on a Pro C contract. And unfortunately, it does start at Japanese contracted salary minimum wage, at 150,000 yen (US$1600) per month. Many B-team members will never make more than this and take part time jobs with the club or elsewhere. Upgrades to new contracts would be based on performance or on time played. Being the star on a small J2 club that actually has tryouts, you can expect to take home a cool $2500 or so a month... The same as if you were teaching English full time in pretty much any conversation school.

Again, not to dash your dreams, but it is SO SO hard to crack this system in one shot. I hope anyone with that dream makes it but if at all possible, you'd want clubs to know you and want to see you before you take that shot.

3. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Vendo, if you don't mind and if I remember, I'd like to make an edit of this post into a "sticky" when I take down the gaijin-meeting thread.

I think you explained "reality" very well, and at the same time you made it clear that those who wants to give it a try should still go ahead and do so.

4. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

DLucero, where do you live? Do you go to any games (as a fan)?

5. DLucero

DLucero New Member

Oct 24, 2009

Janka,

No, I do not play in Sanfrecce's first team. Actually, I was in the military and because of that had to spend several years too busy to play soccer, so I have only been getting back into it over the last seven months. However, I am playing easily with the J4 teams in the area (the ones which will let me play with them) and would like to move up to a more difficult level. Unfortunately, where I am living (and working) the only team that is higher than J4, which is Sanfrecce, J1. My plan for this year and early into next year is to work very very (I am not practicing almost 20 hours a week. Some with the J4 teams, some with lower teams, and some just by myself) hard to develop myself as much as I can for next year's soccer season and formally join one of the teams at that level. I am then positive that I should be able to stand out and hopefully get myself noticed by someone at a higher level. For example, last year (before I started playing with them) one of the players on my team was taken by a professional team in Thailand to play soccer on a two year contract. Now I am sure that Thailand soccer is much less than Japanese soccer, but that is not the point. The point is that I believe working harder and harder can give opportunities if I am willing to move anywhere or do anything to play the game at a higher level.

What I was asking about the J1 soccer open tryouts for was because I also read that although every team can only have three foreigners, they can also have up to two amateur athletes on their team as well. If I could play with my Sanfrecce as a volunteer, that would still be a great opportunity. It would be more visibility, more practice with great athletes, and coaching from professional coaches which would improve me as a player.

All I really want is to have the opportunity to get out there with great athletes and compete with people as serious about soccer as I am so we can work together and grow together. I just love the game and want to play it with other people who feel the same as me.

6. DLucero

DLucero New Member

Oct 24, 2009

Stefanole,

I live in Hiroshima city. I would like to go to games as a fan, and maybe that might even be good for me to meet other people, but lately, I have been too busy to think about that. I am basically either working, practicing, or resting my legs. But yea, I would love to see them play sometime. I watch J league sometimes on skyperfect, but i prefer champions league and premier league games more often than not.

7. DLucero

DLucero New Member

Oct 24, 2009

Vendo,

one quick question: would that be over 100 usd for each DAY of tryouts, because usually tryouts last longer than a day, where I come from. I would be happy to go and try out with Sanfrecce even if I do not think I can make it just to practice with the guys, see how good they are compared to me and meet the team/try to become friends with some of the guys, basically to try to get connections which might be able to help me somehow later down the road. Also, if I would be decent enough, what do you think about the chances of being able to play for them as an amateur athlete, or if not even that, just being allowed to practice with them sometimes? Whatever it takes is what I am willing to do.

8. jänkä

jänkä New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Finland, Jyväskylä
    Club:
    Nagoya Grampus
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

yea i think that's possible, at least i'm trying to get it done. when you'll be meeting those people in Kyoto? what is the Ntsc-system?

9. jänkä

jänkä New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Finland, Jyväskylä
    Club:
    Nagoya Grampus
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

The national tryouts are free of charge? So is it so that for me as Finnish is almost impossible to convince people in national tryouts if i get a chance to participate? If I play in finnish first division is it possible that i get a contract in there if i play well? Should I inform some teams that i'm coming in the tryouts if i get to come there?

Thanks for your advice and time.

10. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--

Tryouts are usually $100 or so per tryout, but tryouts are only 2 days. In Mito's case, there are 100-120 or so, split into 10 or 11 a side, and given 15 minute practice matches. That's it. Then the "best" 22 out of the whole day are picked to play a full practice match the next day. You need to have your best 10 minutes ever to really stand out.

This is how it is at Tochigi and Fukushima United as well, so I'd guess it's the same as anywhere else. You're paying for 10 minutes to play among 21 others also being watched, for the chance to play one more practice match the next day.

The national tryouts are free but may only be open to J League veterans and their guests. I'm checking with a friend of mine who went through the process to see how foreigners without J. League experience might join.

As far as joining a team as a volunteer, there is a chance for that but keep in mind that it still requires registration which has some cost for the club and requires the player to join the pro player union. I also don't know about Hiroshima, but the Mito amateur from two years ago was expected to take part in all morning and afternoon practices, making it impossible to make a living otherwise. He was supported by his family over the contracted time.

For those abroad who CAN play in your domestic top division, why not do so? That experience and footage can then be used to get into Japan MUCH more easily.

The Chugoku region league Hiroshima teams are Sagawa, JFE Steel, and Mazda. Theoretically the teams are there so employees can take part; is it possible for an outside foreigner to just practice with them?

11. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

On the standing out part, jänkä may have a little bit of an advantage. I mean, I never have to guess which player is Havenaar, Kennedy, Diego, Johnsen, or any other gaijin that is around 1.88m tall.

It's kind of the same effect as numerous national team players that have dyed their hair in the past.

12. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--

Mito always has at least 10 foreigners try out, mostly Brazilian but sometimes white people from somewhere. They're never picked.

The national tryouts also have plenty of foreigners. Don't forget that most foreign players in Japan, especially in lower leagues, don't get the huge paycheck and rather want to stay to enjoy the lifestyle. Foreigners are especially popular with regional and prefecture league teams trying to appeal to the locals as professional, so it's a great way to stand out if you're willing to play for pocket change at Nara Club or Sagamihara or someplace similar.

13. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I will pass them the material with a message whenever it is ready, and will hear from them. But from what Vendo says, it might not be an easy bet. But at least we might get an evaluation from a professional scout for a J1 club.

NTSC is the video system used in the US and in Japan, which is different from PAL used in Europe and China. TVs, DVDs, readers all look the same, but the encoding is different.

14. DLucero

DLucero New Member

Oct 24, 2009

Vito,

except for Saturdays, I usually don't start my job until 5pm, so that might still be possible. As an English teacher, I work after students finish school and come to juku. I play with Mazda. I am the only one who is not from the team. I met someone working at a soccer store who's family is friends with the coach, but I can never play for them on the team, because I do not work for them. However, there are two teams in the Hiroshima ken league which will be going up to the tournament next month to try to make it into the chugoku league. Fujita and someone else. If either of them make it up to the next level, I will be able to join their teams. That is what I really hope. It is okay to practice with teams, but I can never get seen by anyone until I can play in the tournaments and higher profile games and such. But in either case, with the intensity I am practicing and with how I keep pushing myself harder and harder and developing much faster than my counterparts (because I am practicing much more than any of them) I am positive that I will not want to be in the chugoku league anymore by next season, and certainly not past that.

If I could still have my job working in the evenings and playing with Sanfrecce as a volunteer (of course, I could offer to pay any fees of registration or whatever that would be required) how would I go about trying to do that? Should I go to a tryout with the team and let them know of what I would like to do? What would be the best way?

15. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: The "I want to tryout for a Japanese Team" Thread

I would add one thing. I believe that the "white" people and the Brazilians not picked up at Mito or somewhere else are not picked because they're probably not so good.

I am sure that if the level is the same as a Japanese player, 95% of Japanese coaches would go for their compatriot to simplify their life, but I am also sure that if a foreign player is better than the Japanese, he would be the one to be picked, no matter the color.

If I am wrong, well, then it would be horrible. :)

16. jänkä

jänkä New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Finland, Jyväskylä
    Club:
    Nagoya Grampus
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

i'm also coming to enjoy the lifestyle and culture of japan, mostly to play good football. But i also wish that i don't have to beg my food money on the streets:D

17. jänkä

jänkä New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Finland, Jyväskylä
    Club:
    Nagoya Grampus
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Nothing is easy but everything is worth to try, and i'm optimistic. But if i don't make it this year, then i'll make it on the next. And it would be great to get feedback from a professional scout.

Would the PAL work on your computers or is NTSC everywhere?

18. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--

You can just save video files as data to be played on any computer, without having to encode as a DVD.

19. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada

hello, i was wondering if anyone could compare the levels here in Italy to the levels in Japan. I'm a Canadian who is currently playing here in a lower division in Italy and would one day like to make the move to japan to play my football. I love the atmosphere i see at the games. i was wondering what the salaries are like and how if i decide Italy isn't the place to move on with my career how i would go about establishing contacts in japan. Also i have two friends playing in the s league in Singapore, how does that league and the salaries compare to the leagues in japan. Thanks in advance, Ciao.

20. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Hi there. I am Italian and coach High School in Japan.
    At what level are you playing exactly?

In general, Italian soccer is more physical and more tactical, but the Japanese have very good technique.

In a J1 team you won't see anybody "crossing" like Chiellini, for example... But I doubt any J1 striker would see the ball against Chiellini.

21. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada

Hey well i just turned 19 and had this opportunity to come back to italy. Last year i was with frosinone primavera but i didnt last long as being away from my family drove me nuts and i went back home. After a while tho i realized that only being a football player would make me happy so this year i got a chance to play in serie d so i took it. Lots of great players in the league. I find its a great mix of ex serie B and C and a lot of youth on loan from other primavera squads. Im a center back im 189cm and around 85 kg. My attributes are my strength and my 1 v 1 defending. The reason why im looking to other leagues is that here all the center backs are older and clubs want experience so im usually going up against guys in there mid to late 20's. like keepers here in italy they say center back mature a bit later. any ways just a bit interested. Im not looking to making a move tomorrow as like you said the tactics here are amazing and i feel i can really develop here.

22. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

My advice would be to try to make it a couple of Leagues up in Italy, then decide how to continue. At that point coming to Japan would be much easier, eventually.

Do you have a manager, if I might ask?

23. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

My advice would be to try to make it a couple of Leagues up in Italy, then decide how to continue. At that point coming to Japan would be much easier, eventually.

They guy you might want to study (when thinking about a successful, tall, foreign CB in Japan) is Mato, who plays for Omiya Ardija.

Do you have a manager, if I might ask? And where do you play now?

24. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada

Ok thanks for the info. Yes i do plan on staying here a while because like i said i fell i can really develop here. I will defo take a look at that guy you mentioned. My footballing hero is Nesta so i try to study him because he is so elegant as a center back. I do have an agent and play for a club here in the north. I dont want to start saying names etc but i know i have to work hard like you said to move up and obviously only then will it be easier to look to move elsewhere. thanks for all the info. one more question. How does the j league compare to the csl in china and the k league? i noticed the player you mentioned, Mato, played in korea. also goru_no_ura how long have you been in japan? was it easily settling in.

25. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Nesta is a great player, but I wish you better health than his...:)

I have been here in and out 15 years. I love it, so -yes- it was "easy," but I believe that I had 8and still have) to compromise on many things.

But life is good in Japan if you have a job you like and a steady income.