Read Madrid [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Ludahai, Sep 16, 2003.

1. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MadridForever: ever seen what its like when Barca fans travel to see RM-Barca?

While your points are valid that it's a minority of fans, racism is still racism. Yes, the Marseille supporters sign was totally classless, but its not an excuse.

Perez could get those people out of the stadium just by snapping his fingers.

Tony

2. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Defense never has been and it never will be the strongest quality of Real Madrid. its philosophy has always been play offensive soccer. And with a great success. Real Madrid is the team with more Champion league throphies - 9 - with a "big" difference over the second Milan - 6 -, and even bigger with the rest, for example, Juventus and Manchester with 2.

If you watched the Marseille's game, you saw Real that Madrid could have made easily two or three goals more. The result could have been without problems, 7-3.

And i don't think that RM defense was so weak like some people is saying. The second Marseille goal was in the last minutes when RM was winning 4-1 and the game was ended.

After the game one jounalist asked Ronaldo "are you worry about the two Olimpique goals?". And Ronaldo answered "We will be worried if Marseille would had score 5 goals.".

It is always more easy destroy than create, play defensive than play offensive.

For that reason a soccer legends like Franz Beckenbauer, that played as defense and midfielder, that is the president of Bayer Munich, a RM rival, say that "Real Madrid deserve to win the Champions league because Real Madrid is playing a play very attractive to watch ...... they have its defensive problems but a team that plays the soccer that they are playing would deserve to win the champion league"

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=72739

And Zagallo, the Brazil NT manager, said something similar.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=71227

Real Madrid has to improve its defense? yes. But it will never will be perfect, maybe good, or even very good but not perfect.

Real Madrid needs to sign more players as centerbacks? yes. This can be one of his big problem this season. But i don't think that RM is playing bad in defense in the last games.

3. deeeez

deeeez New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    hmmm, is there anyone left for Real to buy? :)

4. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It was 5-1 against Malaga, but in favor of Madrid :D as was the 1-5 in Mallorca, but yeah the home game against Mallorca was 1-5 in their favor. But like these 3 scores already show: Madrid had more good days in defense than bad ones, or else they wouldn't have become champions of Spain.

I could also name these matches...

Atletico - Madrid 0-4
    Depor - Madrid 0-0
    Barcelona - Madrid 0-0
    Madrid - Real 0-0
    Madrid - Valencia 4-1
    Madrid - Depor 2-0
    Valencia - Madrid 1-2

...to show that Madrid's defense could keep it together against top teams. That's Madrid with Hierro, and Depor with Makaay.

And Makelele's importance to Madrid is overrated.

The same could be said about Milan, Bayern and Juve's showing: None of the clubs they faced have the offensive qualities of the stronger teams in Europe, or the defensive qualities. Yet 2 of those top teams let in a goal, and none made more than 2 goals themselves.

Madrid could have already started thinking about their following match most of the 2nd half, all three of those teams still had to worry about a draw untill the last seconds of their games. I know which position I'd rather have been in.

Meh, like I said, it's only one game.