Read Madrid [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Ludahai, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I just finished watching the Real Madrid-Marseille match and did Real look good. At times, they were simply toying with Marseille. And Marseille isn't even that bad. I fully expect them to fight for second in the group.

The Roberto Carlos goal was a thing of beauty. Half volly from close to 25 meters out, bounces on the ground once and into the corner of the net. WHAT A GOAL. For Marseille, Van Boyton's goal late in the match off a header bouncing in off a guarded goal post was a nice cap for the match.

I don't see how anyone can beat an in-form Real side. They simply looked awesome.

2. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    game tape

I'm stupid and forgot to tape the Real Madrid game today and therefore missed it. If anyone has it on tape and willing to work with me and make a copy, please PM me. Thanks.

3. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That was the best I've ever seen two outside backs play. Roberto Carlos and Salcido were both incredible.

But I think they are suspect down the middle of the defense, and those outside backs will be prone to wander forward. Makelele will be missed, as he covered a tremendous amount of space for Real.

Also, Figo is just not that dangerous any more. Very predictable, and not that productive. Even needed to re-take a PK.

4. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    What?
    Even needed to re-take the PK?
    Figo scored the PK,and the ref made it to be re-taken because...(no reason,he made to re-take it without any reason,maybe he thought some players came into the box before Figo shooted the ball,but that did not happen(.
    Then,Figo scored the PK again.
    But what is Figo's fault?To score the PK 2 times?

5. Golasso

Golasso New Member

May 6, 2003
    Somewhere in Texas
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figo had to retake the PK because you cannot stop going to the ball once you stop.

I was very surprised to hear some of the Real fans racially abusing Drogba. That was classless (among other things), especially for fans of a side with such a multi-ethnic make up.

6. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you can stop on the way to the kick. It's in the FIFA and IFB directives. The referee must have called encroachment by one or more of the Real players.

7. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    A couple of Real players encroached into the arc at the top of the penalty box. Rarely called, but the correct call in this case.

8. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    It was classless,but not surprising.
    The ones who racially abused Drogba were Ultra Sur.
    Ultra Sur are the Real Madrid's hooligans.They are very violent,racist,neo-nazis,etc.

9. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    What?
    I think the rule says you can't come into the box before the PK taker touches the ball.
    And nobody violated that rule.

10. Golasso

Golasso New Member

May 6, 2003
    Somewhere in Texas
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the rule about stopping recently change? I confess that I have never read the rule, but I have heard several commentators over the years state that you can't stop -- in fact this morning's Guardian says that is why it was retaken, and the ESPN annoucers stated that was the reason for the retake. Also, my local refs will make you retake if you stop, but my local refs aren't exactly the best source for what the rules are or are not.

11. Vic Lupi

Vic Lupi Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Essex Fells, NJ
    I saw only one replay of the Roberto Carlos goal. I got the feeling he actually mis-hit it into the ground and was lucky to have it bounce into the upper-90. Either way, it made for good viewing.

12. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    I second this, it looked like a fluky goal to me.

I start missing Makelele after watching the game.

13. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

They were only 20 or 30 people and it had 80,000 poeple in the stadium. They didn't represent nobody. I was in the stadium and i hardly listen the racist sounds only in one play in the second half, maybe like the ultra sur are near the field the sound was caught more clearly in the tv microphones on the field. All the teams in europe and south america have these type of holligans that aren't a example for nobody. The RM holligans are around 100-200 people. They are s t u p i d people. Anyway, the RM holligans don't make normally this type of sounds, all began when the Marseille holligans that came to Madrid, showed a gigantic poster that said "Juanito, un muerto en un campo de fantasmas/Juanito one dead in a field of ghosts". Juanito is a real madrid leyend that died some years ago in a car accident. He wore the number 7, and in all the games the Real Madrid supporter sang a song about him in the 7 minute of play. When they show the poster all stadium began to whistle, and the "ultra sur" began to sing songs against the Olimpic, and the Olimpic holligans begins to sing songs against RM.

The 99.9 of Real Madrid supporters are very quiet people, they support his team with passion but anything more. I haven't seen any violent incedent in the Bernabeu- Real Madrid stadium - in the last 10 or 15 years.

14. vitou

vitou New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    i think ronaldo did good in the match and he should have two pk .

15. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    regardless of what the actual rule is (and the ESPN announcers said the penalty had to be retaken because Figo stopped, not that the ESPN announcers are authoritative) I don't like that method of taking free kicks. Figo in general did not look that great in the game, he had a few moments of indecision at the moment to pass or shoot it seemed. But overall the offense was, of course, impressive as hell. I wonder though, two goals by Valladolid, two goals by Marseille - what will happen when Real faces a defensively strong team like Juve or Milan.

16. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Interesting. The Chinese language announcers on ESPN said it was because two Real players encroached into the arc above the penalty box.

17. fischetts

fischetts New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Long Island/Baltimor

They will lose most likely. Against Italian teams last year, they were 3 of 6. And two of those three wins were not so stellar. They lost to a second string Milan after Milan already qualified and they beat Juventus with that dubious Roberto Carlos goal. Valdano better make something happen in January or the "kings of Europe" may be watching the final from their Madrid villas.

18. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with fischetts here, this match convinced me that Real will NOT win the CL this year. Real fans can get all excited about scoring 4 goals but the worrying sign is that they gave up 2 goals at home to a club that won't be in the title chase at the end. Considering that we are going straight to knockout stage after this group stage it will be even more important for Real to correct the problems at the back. They won't be scoring 4 goals against Juve, Milan, or Bayern without conceding a bunch as well. And they also have a huge problem if Helguera or Pavon goes down injured. Who will replace them?

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Real madrid was liked this offenisve at the end of the season(April, May....), but their defense was very weak.

When they played against MU, the MU defense could not stop them and Real madrid advanced. Against Juventus(a stronger defensive team), Real Madrid offense was ineffective and lost to Juventus.

20. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Deciding what will happen the rest of the campaign based on 1 game is fun!

Juventus 2 - 1 Galatasaray
    Juve only scored twice against a team that has F de Boer in their defense, they won't win the CL this year. And they let in one goal against a team that won't be in the title chase at the end, and who don't even have the attacking quality the better teams have.

Milan 1 - 0 Ajax
    Only 1 goal scored at home against a not great defensive having team. Their defense is even below that of Madrid, and their attack not nearly as good. Milan obviously won't be winning the CL again this season.

Bayern Munchen 2 - 1 Celtic
    See Juve.

Manchester United 5 - 0 Panathinaikos
    Only 5 goals against this super easy peesy team? Bah! Manchester won't be winning anything this season! :D

Damn, now that all these teams will clearly not win anything, who does that leave? I'm putting my money on Dinamo Kiev.

21. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    I think it has more creedence then one game. Heck RAUL BRAVO was a starting center back. The same Raul Bravo who just last year absoluley stunk up the joint at Leeds. The same Raul Bravo who's natural position is LB. Starting at CB.....for Real Madrid. Whats just as bad is that Real seems to be counting on Beckham do to some tracking back. I don't think there is much arguement that Real has the most explosive offense in the whole world. But it just really doesn't fit the CL. One game slip up and Real is in a world of trouble, thats what happens when knockout stages start right after the first group stage. Maybe Helguera will get healthy, maybe he and Pavon will be able to hold the fort, but I certainly don't think Bravo will cut the mustard. Imagine him defending Ruud or Del Piero.....

22. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I have seen Bravo play a couple of matches as centre back, and he wasn't nearly as bad as you're trying to make him now. And seeing as he will most likely be used more times in that position in the course of this season, he will have plenty of time to get used it and make it more his own before he will face either of those players. If he even plays them at all, I think I heard Helguera will already be back this weekend.

Which is the case for any team if I'm not mistaken :)

23. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Real Madrid will always be good, fragile defense or not. Most likely they will go far in the competion. However, I think there are a few teams and managers who have found them out and Madrid will be weary to play against them.

24. fischetts

fischetts New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Long Island/Baltimor

I wouldn't say my post was abpout one game Oscar. I think at the end of last season we all saw what happened. 5 - 1 vs. Malaga (or was it Mallorca) ? And that was with Makalele. I do have a little hope for Real's defense, as dismissing Hierro might end up being like addition by subtraction.

25. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    I understand your position, but I think my point is valid. I haven't seen much of Bravo in Spain, but his performances for Leeds (in his natural position mind you) were nothing short of poor. I just have serious quams about RM's defense, the two center backs have to be solid because the wingbacks obviously won't always be there defensively. OM wasn't a great squad and probably won't advance out of the group, but I do question Real's ability to withstand defensive pressure against stronger teams who will be able to hold more of the possession. Isn't Helguera going to be expected to share some of the DM role with Cambiasso with the loss of Concieaco and Makelele? Not to mention he has a bit of a history of injuries. Perhaps I am wrong, God knows I have been before, but I suppose we'll get the question of whether you can win with mediocre defenders and a dominating offense at the highest level this year.....