reaction to war against iraq?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by fidlerre, Aug 4, 2002.

1. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Uh, we did ask. Several times. For several years. It becomes a bit silly to keep asking after a while, dontcha think?

Wow, thanks, I'm so relieved.

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > It becomes a bit silly to keep asking after a
    > while, dontcha think?

It isn't silly to keep doing the same thing if it is the correct path for a certain goal. Don't forget that we have been holding sanctions against Cuba for decade after decade. We were at war against Vietnam for year after year.

The risk of Iraq attacking us is so small, and the possibility of there being a fiasco so great that I cannot buy any moral argument for the invasion.

> Wow, thanks, I'm so relieved.

You are welcome.

3. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  5. LongJohn

LongJohn New Member

Nov 23, 2001
    nicey
    im all for war against iraq if it creates jobs for me and my 8 children, but...

i think it's pretty stupid and dangerous of the Bush administration to connect Saddam Hussein and 9/11 together. It is stupid because it simply makes no sense factually, and it is dangerous because the Bush administration is trying to take advantage of the public's relative ignorance about global politics.

Saddam Hussein and Al-Qaeda/Osama bin Laden are mortal enemies. I know George "Hail to the Chimp" Bush sees the world as "bad guys" vs. "good guys," but it simply isn't the case here. Bin Laden hates Saddam because he is a secular dictator, and Hussein views Bin laden as a threat to his regime. Bin laden has ideological goals (one of which is to rid the Arab world of said secular states - i.e. Iraq), while Hussein's just your run of the mill dictator content on living the good life.

To put these two together in a single basket may work in terms of starting a war, but to lie to the public like this is disgusting. just say that you're trying to kill sadam hussein so he stops "threatening global stability" and cut it out with this Saddam-9/11 nonsense.

HERE IS AN OFFICIAL PREDICTION: THE SECOND GULF WAR WILL BEGIN 2-3 WEEKS BEFORE THE ALL IMPORTANT LEGISLATIVE ELECTIONS.

THAT 50-49 DEMOCRATIC ADVANTAGE IN THE SENATE? NOTHING A FEW NUKES ON BAGHDAD COULDN'T FIX!

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR NOT HAILING TO THE CHIMP.

6. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude, you would favor a war if it creates jobs for you and your litter of kids and you're calling BUSH the chimp?

7. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    "Jobs, jobs, jobs" - James A. Baker III

8. LongJohn

LongJohn New Member

Nov 23, 2001
    nicey
    if a chimp gave me and my children jobs then, hell yeah i'm all for the chimp!

that's all that matters to me

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Anybody in their right mind cares who takes over for Hussein. Unless you want another situation like Somalia where warlords take over.

And yes, we worried mightily about who would take over for Hitler.

10. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Russian winters tell a slightly different story.

11. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Off on a tangent here (hey, it's Bigsoccer.com :)), but did you know that Iraq was involved with the Iranian embassey hostage jobby in 1980 ?. I'll tell you more if you like, but I have to be a bit more sober and serious to remember the details :).

12. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    I thought you were living under a communist government of butt-flogging.

13. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Why Americans should care about genocide of a country where the name of its capital doesn't ring a bell on most of them?

14. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey, if you can get your kids to volunteer for the US Army then we can kill two birds with one stone...your kids will have their job and we get our war.

15. Mitre

Mitre New Member