reaction to war against iraq?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by fidlerre, Aug 4, 2002.

1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Yes, Nostradamus has no place on a "Politics" board. Open a "Great Hoaxes in History" thread on the "Free For All Board," please, and then go post away to your heart's delight.

2. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah, I read that piece as well. Just another major anti-war hack job from Howell Raines and Co. They presented the views of something like 13 people who supported Bush, and only one supported war against Iraq, and tried to pass it off as some sort of sample. You'll notice that nowhere in the piece is it revealed how many people that hack talked to.

Here's some data from the Washington Post, though.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23562-2002Jul30.html

U.S. opinion polls indicate that more than 60 percent of Americans support the use of force to overthrow Hussein, "and that's without the administration doing much selling of the idea," said Andrew Kohut, director of the Pew Research Center.

3. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    whether or not you americans like it the decision of "war" does not lie in your hands. :) You got no vote (us neither). But if you argue that if Bush causes a war against public will he would have to harm his reputation then you are wrong once again. Usually a war stabilises a president, thats a statistical fact (oh well maybe not during Vietnam-war). Especially now in times when the general american has a clear enemy in his mind (commis: no, terorists: yes) and a terrible event such as 9/11 to remember.
    Best preconditions for Bush and his generals to play "boom boom bang" and test their toys! It may sound sarcastic but I think besides the whole threat there are a few generals that would consider a war as entertaining! :D And surely the Jerry Springer audience would cheer to see some real blood!

I had to laugh my ass off after 9/11 I think it must have been Rumsfeld who had a discussion in a studio with 30 students at around 20 years (on CNN). While any ordinary person would still be shocked about what happened, be silent and sad, support those neighbouring families that have lost someone in the WTC, those little morons allready talked about throwing nukes and applying at the army. Maybe it is good that some of you have no vote!

4. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't believe in Nostradamus either, but I bring it up because I think it is interesting.

5. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    yes, a military dictatorship would make things a lot easier. not to mention the "leader of the free world" would get to wear a cool uniform.

6. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Saddam didn't use biological weapons (assuming he had them) because he understood the consequences of doing so and he is more interested in self-preservation than people seem to understand. There was no UN-mandate to depose Hussein. The most he would lose was control of Kuwait, and he knew it.

Now were talking about a war to remove him from power. This is a whole other ball of wax.

7. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't know about that. Castro's uniform sucks. Now, if we're talking a uniform like Qhadhafi, then I'm all for it.

8. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Or an updated SS uniform, so the MC Hammer trousers they liked wearing are tamed ?. How cool would your army be if they wore black ?. The President would have to have a big hat as well.

9. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I think you just described Public Enemy's Bomb Squad.

[​IMG]

10. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's not what most Americans think. Who would stop us? The EU? The UN? Maybe France would condemn us but that's probably it.

"Turn the middle east to glass." It wasn't just on CNN kids were saying these things. If I were a European I would be worried about the US right now.

11. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    I think you may have missed his point. He is saying that ordinary Americans like you and me have no say in whether or not we end up fighting a war. Our ruling class will make that decision regardless of how unpopular it is, short of provoking armed rebellion among the masses- (and even then maybe not - see "VietNam").

12. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    [​IMG]

13. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thanks, yes this is indeed what I meant! I didnt want to bring up this old EU vs. USA bashing once again. (but I guess your english is quite more sophisticated than mine, so thanks for helping out buddy :))

And no, I am not to worried about the US right now, they will find an appropriate solution.

14. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, but if you hold his whole sentence about Mabus in the mirror my guess is the translation will be one big mess.

15. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I don't give a rubber duck what the USA does, I'm not in the British Army :D.

16. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    But you got a general responsibility just as me! Maybe as a german you would have learned this lesson. Every step in history is a boomerang and one day will effect you! So stand up for what you think is right and at least you will know you did all you could! :)

17. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    There is nothing I can do to stop any war. It's inevitable, and America is not listening to anyone, so we can only hope it doesn't get to messy.

18. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Yes you can. Next time when the pollster asks you how's President Bush doing? Just go ahead give him all the negative words.

19. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will be kind of hard, since the Dr. doesn't live in America.

20. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Come to Britain, you could do it all day!

21. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I know Saddam isn't the most wonderful chap in the whole world, and sure, the world might be a nicer place if he wasn't here.
    But what I find strange is the number of people that seem to look past the number of times the US has invaded other countries all under the banner of making the world a nicer place.
    Grenada, Nicaragua, Vietnam, The Gulf, Cuba etc. At a fundamental level, the US has tired to depose leaders by force and invade those countries if necessary. Such actions from other countries would not be ignored to this level.
    The reason Saddam is such a problem is his location. There's plenty of people in Africa who can't stand the US, but they aren't surrounded by massive amounts of oil.
    I'm not going to be popular for bringing it up, but then again what you've never had you don't miss.

22. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well there is a certain probability that Iraq is harbouring terorists. Furthermore does the State of Iraq have the financial capabilities and know-how to produce threatening weapons of mass-destruction. Most countries in Africa dont even come near this stage of developement.
    But as I said before, think twice, having the strongest army in the world doesnt mean jackshit. It is rude to say this but Vietnam should stay in your mind. The USA was a highly superior agressor who in the end had to retreat with thousands of losses and leaving behind heavily destroyed countries (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos), thousands of killed civillians (also intoxicated for generations) and some of the most terrific milestones of asian culture blown to dust.
    At that time this war appeared as justified as it is right now. But a war is not simply a step it is a process and lot of things can go wrong!

23. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia did not fall to the commies. Vietnam was a very bitter pill to swallow but in the end the USA did chew up enough of the Communist Revolutionaries to prevent the fall of the truely important states. After all has any one ever cared about Laos?

24. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm hoping you're joking.
    If not then this is indicative of the reason why a fair few people around the world don't like the US.

25. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    My intial statement wasn't directed at you as I agree with what you say.
    However, I did say at a 'fundamental' level, the US has a habit of invading countries and (attempting to) depose national leaders/regimes.
    Now however justified the US made Vietnam sound, still didn't detract from the fact that it was a war to stop communism spreading. Not a war to protect the poor little Vietnamese/Laotians/Cambodians form horrible 'commies'. It was a self serving action much like those in Grenada etc.. Like I said invasion and deposing world leaders simply because they 'might' pose a threat is something that wouldn't be tolerated by the US.

Whether Iraq, has the capabilities to do some damage or not is irrelevant. Other countries have too, Pakistan/China hell even the French!. The US has decided that it doesn't like Iraq very much and so wants to invade and get rid of its leader. The fact that there's oil in the region too is a massive factor. The China-Tibet situation, no oil and so 'who cares?', Iraq goes into Kuwait and suddenely all hell breaks loose, again just self-serving under the banner of being great guys. I'm using Iraq as this example but its the same using any other example of a country the US doesn't like and sticks its nose in. Again, it's just total hypocrisy.