Re- take a succesful pk?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by seanT, Sep 26, 2003.

1. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    In the USWNT game against Nigeria last night,
    the US was awarded a PK. Julie Foudy put it home, then the ref made her retake it.

How is that possible? If its a violation on the
    defending team shouldn't the goal stand.

If on the attacking team why do they get to retake.

I was at the game so if an explanation was offered I missed it.

thanks

2. rcleopard

rcleopard New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    The only reason for a retake is encroachment by the offensive or defensive team.

If the offensive team encroaches and the PK is missed:

The play starts with an IFK.

If the offensive team encroaches and the PK is made:

The PK is retaken.

If the Defensive team encroaches and the PK is missed:

The PK is retaken

If the defensive team encroaches and the PK is made:

A goal stands.

Jarrod

3. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    There are three circumstances where a PK is retaken:

1) Defender only encroaches and a goal is not scored
    2) Attacker only encroaches and a goal is scored
    3) Both defender AND attacker encroach (a retake is ordered whether a goal is scored or not)

Crowdie.

4. Grizzlierbear

Grizzlierbear New Member

Jul 18, 2001
    canada no it is not
    US player was two yards inside the area
    on the left side
    Encroachment was indeed the call. The keeper was also off the line and if the US player had stayed put, no doubt the goal would have counted.

Many of these referees have been pushed and fast tracked to fill the demand for women officials. Personally I am for equal rights, and there are some suberb ladies but women only officiating women is not in the best interest of the game just part of the developement cycle. No I am not sexist just realistic that you can not GET good unless you GET the games to do so! The loss of the WSL in the USA is a painfull setback make no mistake about it for US opportunities in that area.

In the U-19 WC here in Edmonton the USA versus CANADA FINAL and the Consolation between Brazil and Germany were very well refereed and a credit to the absolute FARCE the SEMI FINAL match between BRAZIL and CANADA which was one of the poorest examples of a referee could hope to have at the world stage. YET as a training excercise they went to town and covered every single thing wrong in that match and produced 1st class refereeing in the last 2.

We can hope that as they conduct the post game reviews those still officiating can learn and improve as they did at the U-19 WC in Edmonton.

5. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Agreed but have you seem how much sexist crap female referees put up with from male spectators when they officiate male games. My wife is a referee and I see the abuse she gets. If I was her I wouldn't referee male senior games.

Crowdie.

6. Grizzlierbear

Grizzlierbear New Member

Jul 18, 2001
    canada no it is not
    Women at a men's game get it tougher.

I have no doubt of that it, especially in countries where women are not treated with the respect they deserve off the pitch. Lets just say there are many places where a women's rights have a long way to go and they are NOT all away from home.
    Cheers

7. jkc313

jkc313 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    If BOTH teams encroach the pk is retaken. If the kicking team encroaches and the pk is made it is retaken.

8. jc508

jc508 New Member

Jan 3, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio area
    I don't want to sound egotistic, but many of our amatuer and lower level pro games in my area are officiated better than the job that was done by some of the referee crews I have watched at he WWC. The refs doing these games here are mostly 6's and 7's. When I have traveled to other areas of the country, their 6's and 7's look just as good.

Seems sad to have these seemingly inexperienced refs doing games at this level.

9. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Thanks.

Was not thinking about encroachment on the offensive team.

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they were talking about that call during the N.Korea game and said the ref made her retake because the keeper came off her line not encroachment. Funny,,,the phantom PK in the NKorea game still boggles the mind. what the heck did she call?

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Firstshirt, the foul that led to the PK in the NoKo game was suffered by Milbrett, not The Wombat. I am guessing it was holding. The ref should have played advantage.

As for the Nigeria situation, Milbrett was a step inside the 18 when the ball was struck. Good call.

12. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both explanations are much better than I've heard from the TV or other comments on bs threads. This version is at least consistent with the rules. :)

13. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They actually found it and showed it on ESPN2 last night (at half time of the China Russia game I think) -- the DPRK player had a fistful of Milbrett's shorts.

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know during the game they showed several angles and no fouls,,,,glad to see they finally found it on tape. As for the retake, i did not see it, just going by what was said by the commentators during the Nkorea game who said it was the keeper comming off the line that caused the retake. glad to see the Refs are not that stupid