RBS 6 Nations

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by Real Madrid rocks!, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Real Madrid rocks!

Jun 28, 2005
    Hi,

Does anybody know if the 6 nations will be available on TV in the USA?

Thanks a lot

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    every match will be on Setanta Sports, either live or on delay, with the better ones being PPV if you want to see them live. Actually, they all may be PPV if you want to see them live

3. Real Madrid rocks!

Jun 28, 2005
    Thanks, I was hoping VERSUS could have it. Those of us who don't have Setanta have to go to the bar then. Cheers! :D

4. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait for the 6 Nations! I will be pulling for my wife's country(England), however I would put my money on Wales to win another grandslam.

5. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Damn, I really wish Versus would make a push for international sport. They try punching weigh above their weight domestically but they could easily fill a huge niche if they focused elsewhere.

6. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did show some of the 2007 World Cup matches. They must have decided not to carry on with rugby. I guess Americans prefer bull riding.

7. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    The ship of rugby on US TV is sailing on the seas of ESPN. If they buy Setanta, all bets are off. Versus got their RWC games for free, and really don't the interest.

8. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Really? I never knew that. They only showed the USA games and some of the really big matches (France, NZ, England, Aus) even then they were a day late, so the free games makes sense.

Thing is, I couldn't even get the full tournament on PPV like the 2003 tournament.

Remember that guy from Fox Sports World (Matt?) Brown, called himself Brownie all the time, the rugby show with Brian Vizard? He once wrote a blog that said FSW lost a ton of money on rugby and couldn't see anyone making money in the USA if they had to pay for the content first.

9. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    The thing about FSW was that it really wasn't ever going to be seen by people. I'm not surprised it got dumped - FSW as a whole loses money I believe, or did until the explosion of interest in the Premier League.

ESPN might fare better. As well, ESPN's got a little bit more money than FSW and a better bargaining position. The IRB, or SANZAR or the 6 Nations people could always play FSW off Setanta for rights. If ESPN shows up, they're the only game in town. Give us the rights or your product won't be seen in the US at all.

10. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO ESPN is the way forward, it is the most accessible sports cable network in America. Sentanta, FSW and the Rugby Channel are important to the growth of the game, but other than having rugby games on ABC, CBS and NBC, ESPN is the way to go. I love the idea of developing an new ESPN 3(ESPN Classic) around rugby union both domestic and foreign competition.

Also, does anyone know if Melville is trying to bring the IRB and ESPN or another sports network together to get the 2011 World Cup shown live on American TV? This should be a top priority.

11. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    ESPN won't have a channel dedicated to rugby. Not enough people care. What they are probably going to try and do is reprogram ESPN Classic to be a home for world sports, including our beloved football, and include rugby with that. A million people saw the Eagles games/Super League final, which is enough to take seriously.

As well it'd be great if collegiate rugby got more coverage. Collegiate rugby is what is going to put us in the big time.

12. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mean that ESPN should have an entire channel dedicated to rugby. I love the idea of a ESPN 3/World that broadcast all the non American sports football, rugby(union), cricket, darts etc. I would be over the moon if ESPN Classic/World showed CC, Super Powers Cup, USA Sevens, American Super league, plus the Six Nations, Super 14, H Cup and the World Cup.

Wow! Was this a million total or a million for the Eagles and a million for the Super League?

This Spring USA Rugby has organized for 3 college rugby games of week to be on ESPN. The games are Cal vs. UBC, BYU vs. Utah and Army vs. Navy. Coming soon is a new Premiership College Rugby Championship.

P.S. The wife and I booked tickets for the England vs. Italy match at Twickenham. The RFU were selling tickets for £71, so we jumped at the chance. I can't wait!

13. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The hypothetical "ESPN World" would fail with cricket and darts and would be swallowed up by soccer. You'd need league, AFL, GAA, etc. Move soccer to the first two channels. It's beyond niche now.

14. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer may be a majority of the programing, however if you show Premier league, La Liga, Italian football and Latin American football plus MLS you are probably going to need more than one ESPN channel. Also, IMHO rugby(union) could also make up a big part of the programing. As far as cricket goes it is one of the most popular sports in the world and America has a lot of expats, so IMO it might do alright with the correct programing.

15. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My picks for the Six Nations:
    1) Wales
    2) England
    3) France
    4) Scotland
    5) Ireland
    6) Italy

http://www.scrum.com/sixnations/rugby/series/18889.html

Six Nations supremacy up for grabs
    The 2009 Six Nations Championship is almost upon us with the northern hemisphere giants busy preparing for this year's battle that kicks off next weekend.
    Wales boss Warren Gatland has sounded a warning to their rivals by declaring that there is more to come from his improving side while Martin Johnson has urged his England side to bounce back from the disappointment of their autumn campaign. Check out our dedicated Six Nations section for complete coverage.

In other news, the RFU is bracing itself for more than just a battle with Premier Rugby over an extended Premiership season, with the credit crunch also knocking on Twickenham's door.

Catch up with all the latest news and views on Scrum.com and be sure to join us for LIVE coverage of the latest matches this weekend.

Scrum Fantasy Rugby
    On the eve of this year's Six Nations, we are delighted to announce the return of the Scrum Fantasy Rugby game in partnership with Land Rover.

Once again you have the chance to show off your own knowledge of the game and at the same time claim the bragging rights amongst your friends and colleagues! Plus we've got some great prizes to giveaway too!

Click here to register to play

16. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I can't see England finishing 2nd unless it's second by default.

It's not in our nature, but I think Wales walk this. They're so much better than anyone else right now, particularly since France is run by a moron.

17. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might be right. Under Gatland I really believe Wales has the chance to develop into a side that the tri nations fear. They may never top the All Blacks, but I do see the potential to be consisting better than SA and ARU.

18. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    We'll beat the All Blacks again. Someday. God knows it's been long enough.

We are thin in certain positions (we really have no replacement for Byrne, Henson, Martyn Williams and Adam Jones) but the competition is really poor. I very much expect Ireland to step backward as the fulcrum of their side is rapidly ageing and Kidney is a provincial coach. They'll be built around traditional Munster players and tactics, which may prove useful in the club game but will be found out at the top level.

France have probably as much talent but have utterly mystifying selection policies. Lievremont talks about picking a young squad, drops Elissalde (meaning he's relying on Jauzion to play stand-off if Beauxis gets hurt) but keeps Harinordoquy, who is no spring chicken at 29 and well off the player he was five years ago due to injuries.

England look hopeless. No one's even denying England look hopeless. Losing Stevens was a blow to them; they'll effectively be playing with 14 men in the loose because White does nothing other than scrum, and he's not the destructive scrummager he once was.

Scotland actually look half-decent from what I think, and certainly Wales will probably be in for a difficult trip to Murrayfield. Depending on how bad England are in the tournament I think they could possibly win at Twickenham, which they haven't done for over 20 years.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Italy finished second. I'm not saying go put down £20 on Italy finishing second, but....

1) Their coach is neck and neck with Gatland as being the best coach in the tournament. Lievremont is barmy. Johnson is lost because he's never actually done this before. Kidney is a potato farmer from de cuntry. Hadden has his own selection demons.

2) They have some really good players. Parisse is arguably the best player in Europe. Castrogiovanni is the best tighthead prop in Europe. Bortolami is a great lock. Bergamasco is an excellent flanker. They have the best pack in the entire tournament. Period. No qualifications.

3) They're a little soft in the backs, but their biggest problem last year was that they simply had no 10. Masi tried it but really struggled. Masi, who is a pretty good centre, is now back there with Marcato at 10.

4) I had a dream a week or so ago that they routed England at Twickenham.

5) Everyone else (bar Wales) is simply so bad...

19. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll stick with my original predictions, however the only one that I am certain about is Wales will win the Six Nations. I don't think England will be as bad as you say, but on the other hand Italy will be much improved side under Mallet. I will be there so hopefully it will be a good match. If England lose I will have to deal with an irate wife the rest of the night. :eek:

I wouldn't think that Wales would have a problem developing young talent to take over from the old guard. The whole country is rugby mad! However I wonder why they haven't brought their A side back to give young players international experience. They could compete in the CC or Nations Cup.

20. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Ireland have a good chance.

21. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Holy shit, that early game was a shocker. England will be mopped up in the games to come.

22. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shocking display, but we'll get better.

23. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    imagine if the Italians actually played a scrum half

24. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We still would have beaten them, we weren't completely shit, just penalty giveaways were a joke. Ireland look strongest thus far.

25. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    oh, I think England still would've won but it would've been a little tougher