RBNY Signs Tim Cahill, Everton Legend

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by gears, Jul 23, 2012.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yes, and ~2 decades is (or would be) much better than <1 decade.

But that doesn't much change the contextual global reality, and where MLS, its teams and its academies fit (and/or would be expected to fit/rank) -- even if MLS launched in 1996 with academies hitting the ground running at any/all clubs.

Interesting note, DC United had a fairly successful U-12 team back in 1999 that featured one of MLS NY/NJ's best ever young players -- not that that team was part of a formal academy system at the time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...a-in-w-league/2012/07/24/gJQA9JXA7W_blog.html

RfrancisR repped this.
  2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    NYRB doesn't have the city (and its youth to itself).

There are other sports/leagues/teams that consume the young fans/athlete here (significantly different from major cities in Spain, Holland, Argentina and a lot of other soccer academy hotbeds).

But not much to disagree with in your second paragraph above.

3. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Point of fact-- the Danone Cup team wasn't a youth system team in any real sense. DCU put together a kind of local all-star team after getting an invite (presumably based on their high profile). All those players were really part of other youth clubs in the capital area, and DCU picked them and sent them to France. I don't think they played together, or played under the DCU name, before or after that tournament. It's misleading to say that they were a DC United youth team in any but the most superficial sense.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Good info.

(and note my post included the qualifier "not that that team was part of a formal academy system at the time.")

And separately, congrats to the current NYRB U-15/16 academy team:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Develo...ulls-U1516-Claim-First-Finals-Week-Crown.aspx
    I can't imagine how much better that youth team and those players would be if the senior side would just stop spending money (and minutes) on DPs.

5. Melbourne Victory

Melbourne Victory New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    As an Aussie obviously been following the guy for years. Still has a lot left to give and almost the ultimate team man. Last month in the world cup qualifier against Japan who worked his his backside off and in my opinion was definately the best player in the game. Best memories of him however has to be he two goals in Germany 2006!!

Pity he didn't came back to the A-League at this point however New York fans will love him. Close to my favourite player actually only slightly shaded by Kewell.

dark knight repped this.
  6. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Giorgi Chirgadze
    Juan Agudelo
    Matt Kassel
    Sacir Hot
    Connor Lade

The players in that list that are good enough for MLS are getting minutes in MLS. The others are not. That's how player development works. Connor Lade's play of late has forced the coach into giving him more playing time. That's called competition and that's how these young players can get better. The cream will rise to the top.

wsmaugham and GVPATS77 repped this.
  7. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I think there is some notion that pouring $ into an academy automatically produces results. I think we can see in other areas of our lives that more money doesn't necessarily mean better results. Much of the time it just means more waste and more problems. I can assure you that is the case much of the time as a business owner.

Maybe having a super successful first team is going to lead to more and better kids coming to the academy system overall in the future. Maybe Tim Cahill and Henry go on to win a cup. Maybe that cup makes some phenom in NY decide to persue soccer instead of football. He goes on to be sold for 12M when he's 21. Another one watches that cup in Missouri and joins KC for the same reasons.....on and on.

The point is there is more than one route to the destination for American soccer. I think we'll be surprised where the American development system is in 5 and 10 years growing organically on it's own. A smart man once told me to leave past mistakes in the past. We can't go back to 2001 and make MLS start academies. The orchard is now planted.

FlipsLikeAPancake, tab5g and dark knight repped this.
  8. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Give me a break dude, you're comparing the NYRB academy that has only been around for a few years to Ajax and Boca that have had academies set up for how many decades in areas with far greater soccer cultures? You expect the academy of an MLS team to regularly produce EPL caliber players??? Is this a serious conversation?

Also, for those suggesting that RB have the funds to simply build a juggernaut academy out of mounds of cash, our marketing director said a few weeks ago that the team does not receive all that much money from the owners. Of course its still more than most MLS teams probably receive, but certainly not enough to magically set up a world class youth academy, as if cash is the only relevant factor anyway.

The lineup I think is pretty clear with Cahill, the key will be how much work Cahill puts in defensively:

------------Henry----Cooper-----------
    Lindpere/Lade--Cahill---Le Toux/Solli
    -------------------Dax-------------------
    Pearce--Conde-----Holgersson--Barklage

If Marquez needs to be forced back into the lineup I'm confident it will be for Holgersson, Dax has been a top 5 player in the league this season, there's simply no way you bench him.

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eventually yes. Why couldn't it, particularly one based in New York or Los Angeles?

10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Because building an effective youth system is far more complicated than "oh well you have money to set up a nice academy and a decent population". They are getting to the point where they can occasionally churn out some MLS quality players and even the occasional Euro quality player, but to suggest that we should be comparable to academies in Holland and Argentina is just absurd. Those areas have a soccer culture where kids learn to walk with a ball at their feet, and have had decades and decades to improve the quality of their youth coaching. The US is just starting to even recognize that the sport exists, where kids grow up splitting time between many sports, and where even competitive level youth teams are often coached by untrained parents. So sure, maybe eventually they'll start putting out the talent that you're asking for, but don't expect it to happen any time soon.

tab5g repped this.
  11. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Cahill's last act in an Everton shirt:

12. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland

I'm not 100% sure what he did wrong there. I see a NC guy grabbing him by the neck. I see him dip his head down to get out of that grasp. Euro Drama.

iride_mybike repped this.
  13. o Sigma o

o Sigma o Member

Jun 30, 2008
    The Suncoast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the offense? All I see is stares looking off camera then Cahill surrounded and being grabbed by 2 opposing players and him trying to get away from them. Unless his attempt at getting away was construed as a headbutt motion?

14. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Interesting it's labeled disgraceful. According to the Internet he grabbed the guys neck and said he was responding to something the guy said. The guy who said it apologized.

15. CenterForward

CenterForward Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    And Motzkin says another DP coming to MLS

Congrats to @wmgllc client @Tim_Cahill on being the latest "Designated Player" signing in @MLS. Stay tuned, we got 1 more DP coming

17. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaka to Chicago, calling it right now.;)
    Oh wait, we already got a piece of kaka DP this week.

yellowbismark repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's Motzkin, it's likely an American player, right?

Bocanegra is one candidate. Can anyone think of another?

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Is Edu unsettled?

20. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i just read somewhere that Boca had Klinsmann tip him to some recently promoted Bundesliga club? Eintracht Frankfurt maybe? something like that ...

21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    like Cahill, it was apparently another non-American DP to which Motzkin was referring:

Christian Tiffert signs with Seattle Sounders

22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Also that the Red Bulls don't need him to put the ball in to directly. They've got plenty of guys who can do that. If he turns out to be a strong MLS #10 who gets the ball to Henry/Cooper/Le Toux, he could score 0 goals and still be huge for them.

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Most agree this isn't what he is but he still raises the IQ of the team and should improve it if he doesn't overlap too much with Henry a la De Ro.

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't see why this tendentiousness is even relevant. If the Red Bulls cranked out a couple Tim Cahills every 5 years, why wouldn't they sell those Tim Cahills to Europe for $5-10 million at 24, and buy this one at 32 for $1.5?

25. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To do this, Seattle dealt Fernandez to the Fire for allocation money. Yes, good move by the Fire. IMO more than makes up for the MacDonald signing.