RBNY/Revs Post Game [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Biker Jim, Aug 25, 2007.

1. pvtkarma

pvtkarma New Member

May 7, 2006
    And he falls down a lot, please stop...

2. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Red Bulls controlled the first half. We controlled the second half. Very lucky goal, but I'll take the three points.

Our post-game celebration seemed more spirited than usual. Also, major rep to the powers that be who put the fence on the bridge, thus regulating the flow of people. Ed's german roommate had a blast and enjoyed himself, that is all he talked about on the ride home.

The boys in blue had a long month, and we are still in first place. I hope they rest up this weekend, just in time for the USOC match and then a matchup against DC.

3. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RedBull generally had a second person on Khano's side whenever he got the ball, so it was hard for him to run by anybody. He really is a one trick pony who, when he can beat a single defender, can sometimes (OK, 1 in 10) put a nice cross in, like the one to TnT in KC to win that game.

4. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: [R] Revs - RBNY In/Post Game

Think about it. Who would you want on your team, Larryrentsometits or Reyna?

By the way, when is Claudio announcing his retirement? Or has he already?

5. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Am I the only one deeply disturbed by this photo? Where is that hand going Taylor!?!:eek:

[​IMG]

6. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    I saw that...I didn't know he was coached by Khano though. Now I feel bad for giving him so much grief from 20 rows away.

Thompson added a nice spark off the bench...he was more effective than I expected. When we went 0-1 down and looked at the bench I was plenty worried, so I'm glad he came through.

And I was impressed with Christman...he had some very good first touches that put him into dangerous positions.

Have to give credit to Arena's game plan...get wide and get passes in behind Joseph and Larentowicz. It opened us up repeatedly...full marks to Reis for keeping us in it.

7. tedski

tedski Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Tucson, Baja Arizona
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointed

I saw the game on the teevee so if I missed something, y'all will have to help me.

Here's this guy Carlos Mendes, scores the winning goal for the Revs, and he didn't even acknowledge the fans. I mean, Twellman, Dorman...all those guys run over to the Fort or sometimes just to the stands to be congratulated by the fans...but this guy Mendes? Nothing. He just scores the goal and forgets about you.

I mean, if I were you guys, I'd be really ticked off. This is a lack of sportsmanship of the highest order.

8. pjae

pjae New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    new york state
    hey, the larentowicz comment was a compliment! he's a playmaker - i don't like him for your team, but if he were to come down to jersey he'd be my new favorite player!

9. nomarrox84

nomarrox84 New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    God cursed me. I was a diehard Mark Bellhorn fan and I'm a diehard Khano Smith fan. Its a tough life. That kid is my hero.

Just curious...do a lot of the players coach? I thought I remembered reading that Marshall Leonard did and then Mat was an assistant coach for one of the Boston area colleges, but now sure.

10. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugly game but we somehow still managed a win somehow. It won't go on forever, we have to play better

Reyna - how far the mighty have fallen. The Cows should take a long look at what he costs vs what he brings.

11. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why does their seem to be a lack of interest in reversing the field with the Revs? Too often they seem to settle into a triangle passing scheme on one side of the pitch, which gets clogged down and no matter how many times they do it, it feels that they never seek the options of taking it to the other side of the pitch.

12. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't recall him being called for offside at all. Was he ?

He was late getting back several times but was not involved in the play. In fact, that isn't a bad strategy if you have a deep runner from midfield going for a ball played over the top and the D is concentrating on the striker who is heading away from goal to get back onside.

Other than these episodes (which many strikers are guilty of), he did well. How about that pass he made half way through the second half that sprung one of our players for a break away ?

13. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe he was called offside, but as someone said during the game, the linesman was offsides-happy in the first half.

14. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra

Well..every time we changed the field to Khano it drifted out of touch. :rolleyes:

15. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought Taylor was in a passive offside position a couple of times and couldn't participate in a developing play. Not unusual for a forward.

Did something happen late in the game to p!ss Twellman off? He left the field immediately at the end with his head down and no acknowledgment of the very enthusiastic crowd. He looked the way he does when the Revs lose and he didn't score. Taylor didn't even acknowledge the congratulations of the guys on the bench. The rest of the team did their usual appreciation circuit to the fort and the rest of the fans so it seemed to be specific to him.

16. jrkumor

jrkumor New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    H2O-Town, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is interesting (and I wasn't at the game) but I saw on the broadcast after he scored he went over to the bench and squirted water on Nicol and was laughing.

I think the guy is very hard on himself and probably thinks (regardless of his teammates and the crowd thinks) he could have done better.

17. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall reading somewhere that MSG wasn't sending their announcers to any away games this season, they're just sitting in the booth in New York watching monitors. Might account for it...

Didn't attend the game (was in Vermont) but thanks to edlova and GoRevs3000 for keeping me updated. Couldn't find a bar in Burlington that would put on the match, sadly. But I was glad that Red Bull is a super club, haha...

18. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd forgotten about the celebration after the goal. You're right. He was certainly in a good mood then. I agree that Taylor seems tough on himself. However, he's usually one to look up to the crowd and give the overhead clap-clap. I don't always notice who makes the full circuit. Doesn't he usually come down to the fort after a home win? I was wondering if he had taken a shot from someone late in the game and it had ticked him off. Maybe he just was distracted and in a hurry to get somewhere.

19. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he really had to potty.

20. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I noticed the same thing about Twellman leaving immediately with his head down. I had mentioned it at the time to a couple of folks around me and we were wondering if maybe he was avoiding a tirade at the Asst. Ref on the near side who he'd been on quite a bit during the game. Shortly thereafter was when Nicol went out to "discuss" the game with Toledo and the near side assistant.

On another note, didn't anyone else notice our pregame on-field visitor? Joe Franchino was out during warm ups (standing near Heaps and Noonan who were stretching). He looked in pretty good shape and got a few words and a hug from Nicol. The interesting item about his appearance was that it seemed that most of the players hadn't seen him in quite some time. Reis in particular came over and gave him a hearty greeting. Does anyone know if he been rehabbing the achilles away from the team?

21. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Both right.

Hard on himself...wife's birthday.

22. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks.

23. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were unsuccessful? Guess that doesn't bode well for me either when it comes to trying to find FSC in this godforsaken state.

24. Fasista_Madrista

Fasista_Madrista New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Chelsea
    missed another good game, and this one would of been for free :D The Revs won and Real Madrid won overall i would say it was a good weekened in the world of futbol

25. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT

He does that after every single goal. He comes over to the bench, someone throws him a water bottle, he takes a squirt and throws it back. He must be a pretty superstitous kind of guy.