RB Forward suggestions

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by gyr0, Apr 5, 2007.

1. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Alright, so in the run up to next season, I think we all agree forward is our problem position. Virtually every preview has noted the need for a "foreign goalscorer" and so far we have been linked to a string of what look to be over aged under performers who are looking for a last pay day (Juan Pablo Angel, Marcelo Salas).

I don't know about you, but If we are going to purchase an over 30 stopgap solution, it might as well be someone who will leave it all on the field and provide a positive example for our youngsters. So I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on who this might amount to.

While pure speculation, the goal here is to identify players who represent good value for the money. I'm not saying Bruce will take our advice, but it could be interesting.

My first nominee is Dougie Freedman, a 32 year old, out of contract veteran of the premier league and championship. This guy plays sort of a quasi target man, play maker role for Crystal Palace and at 32 years old, has maintained a high level of fitness. In short, he is cheap, fairly consistent, and the type of player that could rub off on alti.

In any case, feel free to post your thoughts and suggestions here and lets help Bruce unearth a winner.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: RB Foward suggestions

We already purchased him. Clinthino

3. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC

With due respect, with the salary we have left to play with, dont you think we can do better than that?

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You said value for the money. We got Clint for a six pack and a book of stamps.

Wait until the Euro tranfer window to do some spending. We don't need it yet

5. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Crystal Palace, eh? The cream of the crop, alright . . Thanks anyway, Bruce . . wait, Bruce? That's not you!

In other words....HE'S NOT COMING HERE!!!!! :eek: :eek:

6. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sub...since no one is coming here...in your opinoin do u think we will sign a DP this season?

7. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We already did, his name is Claudio Reyna. Welcome to the group, Rooney. :)

Let's hold out for Robbie Keane, he's still scoring goals in his old age!

8. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Robbie Keane think so? I dont know if he will leave the spurs this summer or next winter.....I would be THRILLED to have him...What about your Fullham lad McBride do u think he will make an MLS comeback?

9. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Keane scores to many goals to be on his way out. Couple years left in that cat, at least.

McBride will likely go back to Columbus. His contract ends after the season, so I imagine they are holding out for him. He's still scoring too, though.

Who knows?

10. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004

Under the circumstances of what we have, anything is better....

Now, I agree that the player we obtain as a DP, have to be signed only for one year if he is not a first class striker.

11. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a far as i know Keane is still used as a sub...Berbatov and Dafoe start and they have Mido so Keane might not stay at the Lane altoghough i do not know what his contract situation is, he might go to another EPL club...

12. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Keane is a starter, dude. Maybe he subs if he has a yellow card or something, which is not unusual. I've been seeing Defoe come off the bench as of late.

However, I just decided to do some research . . he's twenty-effin-six. I thought he was like 33 or something, he looks a lot older than he is. Ahh well, who's next?

13. FrankB

FrankB New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    NJ

I think the redbulls have a team that can challange for the top spot or end up 4th in the conference, it will depend on thier ability to find a consistant goal scorer.

Here are some suggestions
    Salas
    I like the Salas idea if he is in shape, from his days in seria A he would be one of the most dangerous to ever play in the league if can be anywhere near that form. And he could help by joining the team right away.

Some other Ideas
    Cipriani - Italy This kid is a good player that has had a lot of injury problems, still a decent age, and could play the ball and finish, he could be someone that surprises everyone. If he was healthy for an entire season I would garantee 20 goals for him.

Nicola Amoruso- Reggina
    Another person that would add that scoring touch to the front line.

Zalayeta- Juventus
    Leaving Juve next season , good in the air, can play the ball at his feet and can score his share of goals, especially important one. with 7 years or so at juve would instantly provide one of the best professional acumen of any player on the roster.

Bravo-
    Good player and would be huge with latin american contigent

14. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Bruce isn't talking to them, why are we even thinking about them?

15. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TH14 ffs I'm telling you he's going to be for sale and he's 30 years old take a gamble heck I think he'd be better than Ronaldo :p

16. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because this is a bulletin board where people do that sort of thing? :confused:

17. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know I gotta thank you, You just won me $20 dollars! Thank you for your orgasmic devotion to WASHED UP stars from the EPL:rolleyes:
    I guess their just OVER THE HILL and Worthless if their from South of the boarder.........

I mean NO ONE from Europe EVER FLOPPED in a RED BULL/ Metrostar uniform....

PS- Out of all the useless players of the EPL and DIV 1 to DIV 8, this was the best you could think of??????:rolleyes:

18. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC

Er, this is an out of contract player who would likely fit within our salary cap and lead the line in a 4-5-1. While the signing of Dougie Freedman wouldnt smack of ambition, would you really prefer an over the hill foriegner (by foriegner I mean one who doesnt speak the language) who hasnt seen the field in 6 months? I realise this is also about selling tickets, but crowds be damned, I want results.

19. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So an over the hill player from the UK is not a foreigner because he speaks english, but one from SA who speaks spanish or portugese is?

I'll step back

20. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC

Alright, to put my statement in to proper context, they are certainly both foriegners, however the difference is time frame. Look, for the record, I dont care whether our players come from England or Timbuktu, but the bottom line we are an english speaking side and the cultural and communication barriers inevitably become a factor in to everything from on the field talk and dressing room banter.

Years ago, I remember reading articles about Angel's family finding it difficult to adapt to life in Birmingham and it's affect on his play. To his credit, he played some pretty decent football at Villa, but it took over a season, and given his age and our budget time is not a luxury we have in abundance.

21. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Better, but you do realize the RB's best player over the last two years, didn't have a good command of english. It isn't as much of an issue today.

22. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC

Our best player was also a veteran of European competition fresh off a 3 year stint in the EPL. Big difference.

All I am saying is that if we are to buy someone over 30, we must take off the field factors in the consideration. I base this upon the assumption that we want to build a stabile organisation that can produce success on the field as well as youth development.

From an athletic training standpoint, I can tell you it takes much longer to go thru translators than it would to get an English speaker on the same page with the rest of the team. Sure, Clint may be an exception, but this is generally across the board from fitness to tactics. Say what you will, but lets approach this with common sense.

Paging Dougie Freedman..

23. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, the best player was Amado

24. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC

Well then, we all know how that one turned out.

25. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004

Best is a relative assumption.

Guevara have the ability, intelligence and where ever you want, but like a player he is unreliable, showing to play once in a while not when the team or the fan needed but when he like to, how will you call him the best on those Constancia's....