Rayo OKC News Thread

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by ManuSooner, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest news from Rayo:
    1. Team has now moved into permanent offices on N. Walker Ave, in OKC.
    2. A coach has been signed. Once the contract is completed a press conference will be held to introduce him.
    3. Technical director is already working to bring players from Europe. he will also be introduced when the coach is introduced.
    4. Looking to have the Press Conf in the next 2 weeks.

The team has been putting their name out at different events. They are even sponsoring a men's soccer team in a predominately Hispanic league this winter on the south side of Oklahoma City.

It seems every other day there is a picture on Facebook of another local celebrity wearing the Rayo OKC scarf.

On a personal note we now have 17 people in the Supporter's Group. You have to start somewhere. We had 10 at the first meeting. The goal was for everyone to bring one other person to the next meeting. I may have to alter that now! :)

markmcf8, FootySkeptic and brentgoulet repped this.
  2. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Manu, NASL teams have started signing NASL/USL free agents; I would think Rayo would want some of these players but so far, silence, many top players are now gone. What is Rayo's plan for signing American players? How long can they wait to get started?

3. PhillyWild

PhillyWild Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That really puts it into perspective. When you think about it, if it wasn't for the insane popularity of the NFL, the entrenched anti-soccer crowd, and the indifference shown by US Soccer to truly expand the sport in this country, there could be a full soccer pyramid with hundreds of professional and semi-pro teams and dozens of leagues across the US.

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    US Soccer indifferent......do go on.

If it wasn't for the fact that each person in the country doesn't want to send me a hundred dollars is why I am not a trillionaire.

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    [QUOTE="VBCity72, post: 33381383, member: 248905". Becks team will likely struggle at first like most expansion teams and a consistently winning NASL side could keep fans from converting.[/QUOTE]

Nothing in the history of soccer in the US suggetsts this, but sure, why not.

6. AttitudeAJM

AttitudeAJM New Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nothing in the history of soccer in the US suggetsts this, but sure, why not.[/QUOTE]

The Cosmos came out fast with big signings and early success but that didn't stop NYCFC from garnering quite a substantial fan base.

7. PhillyWild

PhillyWild Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that there is (or was, depending on who you ask) of whether MLS or NASL was the "true D1", MLS using a D3 tier as their farm system through USL Pro, completely bypassing whatever D2 tier there is, (unless MLS is recognizing USL as a D2 tier league, which furthers my point.)

The history US Soccer's laissez-faire attitude when it to domestic pro soccer in this country is well documented.

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The reason for the laissez-faire attitude is because for most of the history of soccer in the US there has been very little professional soccer to care about.

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    MLS was talking to the NASL about setting up a relationship in 2012. The NASL was interested until Traffic increased their holdings in the league and the Cosmos came on board. After the NASL turned them down MLS went to the USL and made a deal.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nasl-l...d-revealing-light-on-d1-aspirations/14903504/

greenroom repped this.
  10. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rayo OKC names Alen Marcina head coach | News OK
    I talked to one of the owners who told me that they already have 5 players signed. They are just waiting fro NASL approval to introduce them, probably next week?
    Of the 5 players;
    All FIVE have played in MLS
    THREE have National Team experience

FootySkeptic and msilverstein47 repped this.
  11. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    One should take into account that The Netherlands doesn't have much sport to compete with soccer for attention in its country. Granted they are pretty good at baseball and do have followings in other professional leagues its not like they have a Big 4 in Europe at all. In Europe its pretty much Soccer and that's it. Much like how the MLS fails in TV ratings here in North America, any local league in Europe doesn't draw more TV ratings than the Big 4 do in Europe.

Back to OKC please....

Any announcement on the roster?

12. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See last post

13. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's pretty solid. Was waiting for some news on OKC to hopefully show they were committed tot he NASL. Signing 3 guys with national team experience is a good start. NASL approval can take a while apparently. Indy has had a few players signed for some time and still no announcements since i'm assuming they are also awaiting approval.

ManuSooner repped this.
  14. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Rayo Vallecano on their 3-0 in today!

FootySkeptic repped this.
  15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the lineup? Who scored?

16. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the team has hired a coach with NASL experience and is bringing in an experienced roster so far...but how are the ticket sales going?

17. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that. The Director of Hispanic Business Development will be at our next SG meeting. I may be able to get a gauge on things then.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  18. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see Billy Forbes land with Coach Marcina and OKC.

ManuSooner repped this.
  21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't sure where to post this and didn't want to start a thread for it... Can someone please fill me in on everything Rayo OKC?

22. Rowdy Joe

Rowdy Joe Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Read the thread and it will tell you all you need to know

FootySkeptic repped this.
  23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have and it hasn't told me much. was hoping someone could give me a legit break down.

24. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Coles notes:
    - Team is owned by Raul Presa of the Spanish La Liga side Rayo Vallecano and Sean Jones of SOS based in OKC.
    - They will be playing in Yukon Miller stadium in a western suburban area of the city after negotiations for the downtown stadium went south. (lots of threads detailing the stuff that went on there, won't get into it)
    - They are meant to be an independent operation from start with ties to the parent club "unknown" for now.
    - Lots of animosity from locals in Madrid who didn't like the decision made by Mr. Presa.
    - Lots of jealousy/doubt/hate/love from posters on BS about the viability and at one point even the probability of this club taking to the field.
    - They signed the SA Scorpions former Coach and starting striker who won the NASL title in 2014.
    - They signed several other MLS experienced players.
    - They are looking to win over the hearts and minds of a portion of the city and compete directly with the established USL side.
    - It will be interesting to see where this goes from here.

ManuSooner and truefan420 repped this.