Ray Hudson's Gone

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by unite, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'll tell you what it accomplishes. It gives DC United the position it needs to go out and seriously court coaching prospects. They couldn't do that with Hudson still around.

About Bradley, there have been rumblings that's he's not happy at the MetroStars but I very much doubt he'd leave.

Another thought on DC United's future coach: I'd bet anything that Payne and Co. are calling up Arena today (so to speak) and asking who he'd recommend. And I'd also bet that Freddy Adu's future, more than anything, hangs over this coaching decision.

2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Good luck Ray, you were many different things but never boring.

3. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only wish some of the people on this board had a chance to talk to Ray Hudson every day, as I did during the 2002 season. This is a sad day for me personally and I wish Ray only the best. As hard as that man worked, even if a lot of people on here refuse to acknowledge it, he deserved a better fate. I think very few people on this board or anywhere have any clue the lengths Ray went to to try an improve this club.

Freddy had nothing to do with this decision. It was going to be made regardless is the feeling I get from the tone of the announcement. It is very telling to me that Mr. Payne gave no comment. In fact, I think it's ludicrous. If Zack and Kasper are the only ones quoted, does that mean THEY made this decision? I'm curious to know. If it was KP's decision, he should have spoken for it and taken responsibility. If he did, but didn't speak to it, that tells me more about the situation at the club than whatever Ray's record ended up being. I hope these folks put as much work into getting United a professional training facility as they do seeking a coach. One won't work without the other.

They had better get this coaching selection right. Hudson turned this team into a group that would die on their swords for the team if that's what it meant for a point or 3. He got this team into the playoffs, and while 8 of 10 teams make it, it can't be that easy because Rongen didn't do it in '00 and '01 and it didn't happen in '02 either. Maybe that's as far as this group can go, but that's just the point. If anyone thinks simply another coach is going to turn this group of players + Freddy into winners, they are sadly mistaken. If John Trask is retained while Hudson is let go (which I believe is the case since it wasn't all done at once), this team isn't going to get any better.

Hudson looked for players, and did a lot of Dave Kasper's job for him, because if Kasper wasn't the "GM," then what the hell is he and why is he still here? Trask ran the tactical portion of the show in every practice. If motivation wasn't the problem, and tactics and strategy was, such as the lack of shooting that monster has accurately described, then that is much Trask's fault as it is Hudson's. If '02 and '03 were crimes, Hudson isn't the only suspect. He better not be the only one to take the fall.

I reallly feel with some other personnel changes, Ray could have led this team to at least the Eastern Final next year. We're aren't that damn far away.

As much as a coaching change can have a positive effect, it can set a whole program back for 2 years, as well.

I make no bones about it and I respect everyone's opinion here. I think DC United made a mistake today that they will pay for down the road. Freddy's talents may cover it up in the short-term, but in the long-term, barring a miraculous coaching choice that I don't think they'll make, I think the team f***ed up today. (my asterisks)

I hope Ray doesn't go into broadcasting. I hope Ray stays in coaching and somehow finds a job in MLS, even if it's as an assistant. The league is a better one with him on the sideline, not in the booth.

I'll step off my soapbox now.

Good luck to DC next season and best wishes to all you folks in the offseason. I look forward to discussing this further over beverages at Happy Hour.

Cheers,
    Ed

4. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    I didn't like it when they hired Ray, didn't think he exercised good judgment with player acquisitions and didn't like how we lost SO MANY games on the last kick, but he's probably the most personable coach we'll ever have and I hope things go well for him as a broadcaster.

Re: Etch and Stoich, I'd have to think they're mortal locks to be gone now.

5. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Best wishes to Ray Hudson.

6. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    You obviously weren't hanging around during the pre-season or season.

The board had us as contenders for the Cup until about the 80th minute of Game Two of our playoff series with Chicago.

7. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I would seriously hope that Payne is talking to Bruce Arena about this opening.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Ed, thank you for unique insight.

You raise some interesting points. I also think it's comican that Kevin Payne wasn't quoted in the announcement.

I don't think anyone is buying the argument that this call was made by someone besides Payne. If someone besides KP was making the call, you wouldn't have seen the quote from Zack that said "we think it's time for a chance." More like Payne said it was time for a change and Zack and Kasper said "right, Chairman!"

And, for the sake of ha-has, if Payne didn't make the call, who did? I'd like to see either Zack or Kasper stick their necks out and say "I made the decision." Neither is doing that and that is pretty telling.

Ed, you also raise a good point about Kasper. What has he done to justify keeping his job while Ray gets canned? Nothing.

Supposedly, he oversaw all the personnel moves so why isn't he being held accountable for the way this team was put together?

Regarding Trask, I don't see him being retained and I don't see him being a candidate for the head coach. I don't know why they didn't announce his departure yet but I don't see this as a matter of Ray getting canned and Trask being allowed to stay.

Finally, why isn't Kevin Payne himself being held accountable? He hired Rongen and then fired him. He hired Ray and has now canned him. He also passed on hiring the likes of Bob Gansler, Steve Nichol and Dave Sarachan and let Frank Yallop leave for San Jose.

And, yet, no dirt comes on him. These were his moves and if he's letting them go, he's saying they were the wrong ones. And yet, he keeps his position. Why?

It just feels like Ray is being made to be a scapegoat here. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be let go as he made some very questionable player and tactical moves. But, he alone isn't the only person that has screwed up and he shouldn't be the onle one forced to take a fall.

9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. That's why they're hiring Stoitchkov as Coach and Ivanov as his player-coach assistant.

I heard Stoitch was already teaching Adu several different Bulgarian Secret Police choke-holds, and Ivanov is giving him a primer on how to play impenetrable defense, plus some pointers on how to pass the ball.

We can't lose.

10. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Seriously now. No one thinks Ray was let go because he has said he will play Adu sparingly, if at all? Or was it because 2Q are floundering in the pros, and DCU and MLS see Adu heading for the same fate? I can't see any other possible reasons, frankly.

Of one other that has been floated here, Stoichkov and Etcheverry may have been out anyway, so if that was the desired outcome, changing the coach doesn't effect that one way or the other. Hudson doesn't sign the checks, does he?

Someone give me a coherent argument for or against.

(As an aside, I hope Ray hits the ground running whatever he does next. I would enjoy him in the broadcast booth, or studio, for MLS or National team matches, but best of luck to him even if he goes another way. And if he does, I pray that someone, anyone, steals the mic out of Keogh's hands.)

11. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    Wow. Thanks for that perspective, Ed.

I have to say, a lot of folks here are being pretty blinkered/short-sighted about this. When I saw Trask with a quote in that PR... ruh-roh, Shaggy.

12. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    True..............and given some of the poor pickups and trades we made over the last 4 years, that scares me a little......we'll see

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't see any such quote. Maybe I missed something? Can you point it out if it's really there?

14. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Best of Luck to Part of the DC United Family

Ray, thanks for your emotion, candidness, and contribution to righting the DC United ship. I think all of us sincerely wish you the best in your future endeavors. Your passion for the game and colorful wit are most definitely going to be missed. I hope that you have your choice of jobs as an announcer, because I have no doubt that you would set a new standard of excellence in the booth. Or, if you choose to coach elsewhere (i.e. in Cleveland), I wish you all the best--except when you play United.

John Trask, thank you for your contribution to plugging the leaky defense and helping Hudson build a team with a lot of spirit and camraderie. With your experience I have no doubt that you'll be coaching elsewhere, and I wish you the best of luck--again, except when you play United.

In soccer coaching change isn't necessarily a sign of failure. Often times the team itself needs a certain type of coach. With one of United's main strengths being its youth, this move may be more a signal of a move towards a coach and staff whose strength is skill development and offensive tactics rather than man-management and defensive organization. Don't let this keep you down, you're both very talented individuals.

Hristo, thanks for your contributions both on and off the field and helping bring this team together in pre-season. Hopefully this experience will help you in your quest to move into coaching. The transition is often harder for great players than for mediocre players, as the expectations and player reservations seem to be higher.

Best of luck to all of you, and thanks for your contributions to the DC United family. I haven't always been your biggest proponent, but I do consider each of you a welcome part of the DC United family.

-Digital

15. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Does this mean that Hudson will end up in Dallas?

16. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    A sad day for United, and Ray.
    I can't bring myself to say, "Good, that SOB is GONE". Maybe because the man has appeared to
    give his all for this club, and MLS, and with me, that means something.

I wish Ray, the dog, the whole lot, the best in any future endeavors.

I owe ya a beer, Ray! Heart and comittment don't grow on trees.
    Cheers, Ta, Thank Ya, mate.
    Mark

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally think United made a big mistake sacking Hudson.

Geordie bastard! We're gonna miss ya ya big lug!

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    So Gelnovatch? Sounds great.

;)

19. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what you will about Hudson's tactics and personnel decisions, he gave his all for this team and got them into the Playoffs, which wasn't the slam dunk that it had been in the past.

All the best to Ray and may he have his next job lined up by this time tomorrow.

20. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Well, I think it's pretty well known that I was a staunch Hudson supporter.. Though my support for him definitely waned in the last month of his tenure, he was a geniune pleasure to be around and first class guy..

With that being said, changes need to be made on the coaching staff.. We have a collection of mish-mashed players with different tempo's and style of play that really bogged this team down.. In essence, we had some horses that could move down the track and some horses that moved off to the side to graze and it showed on the field..

I feel that Ray was certainly handcuffed with regards to decision making for the long time future of this club, but conversely, the same issues I had with him on the day he was hired (I felt then and still feel now that has no patience for young American players) I feel was probably the key reason why he was not re-signed..

God speed to my good friend Ray Hudson..

21. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    For what it's worth, I still think Curt Onalfo will get some serious consderation for head coach.. He fits to a T the Arena type profile.. And we all know that is what Payne and Co. are looking for..

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm going to side with Ed on this one. I guess i was one of the few in favor of giving Ray a third year. As I recall, as the season went on alot of posters on this forum spoke of the lack of speed in the midfield. The conspiracy theorists spoke at length about Ray having Marco shoved down his throat. Well now that Marco is all but gone and probably Hristo too, isn't this the real chance for Ray to put HIS team together? Like Ed, I'll respect other posters opinons here but I think we F'd up too.

23. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Money, control, money and money.

Why did Rongen move from TB to Ne after the first season whee he was relatively successful and probably would have made a serious run at the Cup? Money.

Since we don't really know alot of the inner workings of most of these teams it is possible that a power struggle might happen over personnel decisions, this is a big issue in the NFL it could be a big issue in MLS.

I'm not saying any of these guys would leave their current job, but those are some reasons why a coach would leave his current team while still under contract.

24. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Agreed, except for the Yallop rumor. If San Jose--as has been rumored for a while now--does get bought out by a Mexican club (i.e. Club America) and becomes the new I/O, then it will likely be time to clean house. The new team would likely be Spanish-speaking first. This would mean that it would be time for Yallop to move on. But, IMHO, Canada's program is advancing well, but still at least one World Cup cycle away from making any real noise. Yallop might not mind taking United for 3 years and help develop Freddy, Convey, Santino, etc.

While I'm a fan of Yallop and would love to see him guide United, I think it must be pointed out that he's rather hit-and-miss with his youth development. While Donovan and Dunivant are definitely hits, guys like Carrieri, Barclay and Luchi Gonzalez never really developed under Yallop. You might say that Carrieri had an attitude problem and the other two weren't as talented, but I do think it is worth noting that Yallop--like Hudson--succeeded with veterans. IMHO, Bradley's the best and probably Sarachan or Andrulis the second best at developing young talent.

-Digital

25. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    No, Ruud Gulitt is the man. :)

On to Ray. He deserved to go. He may be a great guy to hang out with and spins some great quotes and probably tales, but MLS is a business and the teams business is to win games. I don't think DCU made a mistake in getting rid of Hudson. However they can make a mistake in naming a replacement, because even a proven coach can struggle with a team.

Can a new coach win with the current set of players? Probably not, but a new coach won't have to keep the entire current set of players and 1 year turn-arounds seem o be a MLS special.

Lastly, if Kasper and Trask stick around, I will be somewhat disappointed.