Ray Hudson's Gone

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by unite, Dec 1, 2003.

1. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    Mixed feelings.

Best for the team, probably.

But dam I am going to miss Hudson.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I already posted my immediate two word reaction but a few more things ...

1. I think it's interesting that they decided against the continuation of his contract even though they don't have any obvious coaching prospects. Yallop is certainly a pipe dream. Ellinger might be too.

2. I suspect this: If not for Adu, Hudson would have gotten the third year. But when Adu signed onto DC United it became all too clear that someone, somewhere wanted this team to go in a direction that Hudson simply could not take it.

3. I'd love to see Rongen and Hudson in the booth together. They'd be f'ing brilliant.

3. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    thanks for the playoffs Coach

good luck

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I won't be wringing my hands if the new coach actually makes roster moves that make sense in building a team for next season and beyond.

5. DCU9ted

DCU9ted New Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Rockville
    Were all part of Yallops army...That doesnt sound as good

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Yallop would be great, but we have a better chance of getting Sarachan or Bradley. I think Ellinger would be a good assistnat or head of youth development, but not head coach. If I had to put money on a guy, I would say Mo Johnston.

7. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If he were to become the new manager, I think we'd sing: We're all part of Frankie's Army

8. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Did a google news search and found this story on Ray Hudson being reinstated.... ;)

Ray Hudson Reinstated
    By Kirk McNair
    Date: Nov 20, 2003

".....Alabama Head Coach Mike Shula announced that Ray Hudson is expected to play against Auburn. Hudson, a back-up tailback, missed last week’s game after being arrested and charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana, a misdemeanor offense if he is found guilty. Shula said, “He’s going to dress out and he will play, and far as any additional discipline goes, like I said before, we’re going to handle that in-house and won’t announce it.” "

http://story.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=189&p=2&c=204211

Photo seems to show a different Ray Hudson but you never know, he's a crafty bugger and I'm sure he'll show up somewhere in MLS.
    Good luck to you Ray and thanks for your efforts!

9. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    That was my guess too, what with the reports he's been under consideration before. We might get Bradley, and that would be OK with me. I can't imagine Sarachan would want to move. Yes, they didn't win the Cup, but they won the Shield in a year when some predicted they would be gutted by personnel changes.

We'll miss you, Ray! Best wishes...

10. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    As far as former DC assts go, I would prefer to have Sarachan or Bradley over Yallop. Yallop's had a nice little run. He has also had Landon Donovan. I am not sold on him yet. Wwhich isn't to say I am suspicious, because I'm not. It just means I would prefer those two to Yallop, who if you recall was with us the year we fell off the cliff. that was his only year as a DCU assistant.

11. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    why do half the posts here say Good Luck ray, etc...? does anyone believe he reads these boards?

No doubt he was fired cause MLS is gonna line someone up to coach Adu. He's their golden ticket.

12. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I don't see any interest from Yallop, Bradley, Sarachan or Ellinger. Yallop wouldn't leave the Quakes for another MLS team, Bradley won't leave home, and I think Sarachan would rather take another shot at more trophies next year with a Fire team that will enter 2004 as the favorites unless some of Beasley, Bocanegra, Armas and Ralph go to Europe. Ellinger said he doesn't want the job. So time should be spent on other candidates.

I'm only hearing Mo Johnston among legitimate candidates so far. I'm sure Mo would be very interested in the job, and he did a great job with the Metros this year. Limited resume as a coach, but a strong history as a developer of players as a veteran and assistant in this league.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just trying to figure out why some of you think that Messrs. Yallop, Sarachan, and Bradley would leave their current jobs to coach DC United.

14. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    Well... lets turn the page. A new chapter begins.

While I kind of figured that Ray was not going to be re-signed, I really am sad to see him go. It's got to be really hard to for any coach to take a team as bad as we've been and turn them around in 1 or 2 years. The 3rd year would be the defining year, in my opinion, as to whether the coach was successful. But, what the hell do I know anyway.

I wonder if part of the reason he may have been let go was partly due to his health and well being. He wouldn't be able to survive another rough season with United. And as much as everyone liked Ray as a person, they didn't want to see him getting worse.

I also wonder if "United" worried that Hudson wouldn't put Adu on the field when MLS needs him on the field as at least a sub to deliver on their Prodigy Promotion campaign (I'm kidding, but you know what I mean).

The players (well most of them) seemed to love Ray. Dema especially, but the others too. Just about everyone one of the players have commented how great the team atmosphere is. I hope that whoever they bring in to replace Hudson, keeps that atmosphere intact. (I'm sure it can only get better without Hristo's temper though)

At least, now we can speculate on who his replacement will be and not whether or not he'll return. You've got to love the off-season.

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I don't think it's likely that any one of FY, DS, or BB would come to DC based on their current positions. Although if you're a conspiracy theorist, and a blind man on a galloping horse can see that there's plenty of those to go around, one could conceive of a scenario where the league office makes one of them an offer they can't refuse.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist though.

I think we're going to hire Gianluca Vialli!
    ;)

16. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Do I really have to make a case for trying to take a team to the biggest soccer tournament in the world over trying to win something you've already won twice in the last three years?

If Yallop stays in MLS, he's in San Jose.

17. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I don't prefer a foreign coach to take over. But in all seriousness...would it surprise anyone if MLS brought in a "big name" to coach Freddy?

18. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Again, why would a coach with a decent team move within MLS?

Put down the pipe. Bradley's not coming here.

19. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

There's some sanity talking.

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yallop - he ain't comin here
    Sarachan - he ain't comin here
    Bradley - cause he hates the Metros GM, and whoever turns around DCU will be hailed as a genius

21. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    It's BigSoccer man where the nerds come out and some live and breathe by roster moves and rumors. It makes no sense. It would really piss off the fans of their clubs, set up consipracy theories, and Bradley and Sarachan are only 1 year into their jobs.

I don't see what sacking Hudson accomplishes until I see who the new coach is. Good luck Ray I'm glad we had you as a coach for 2 years.

22. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    And the Republic of Texas offers him three Margaritas free of charge.

Kudos to one of the most colorful characters in MLS.

Let's hope he goes to the broadcasting booth and share with thousands his wit, charisma and colorful language... he is one of a kind...

Congratulations and best of luck...

23. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area

YES!!!!

Seriously, I'm grateful for everything that Ray brought to this club, and I'm much more sad to see him go than not. Having said that, I can see why it had to be done.

The DC United soap opera continues....

24. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Don't they all have the same boss? It will be one of those nudge, nudge, wink wink scenarios.

25. Riverdale Goalie

Riverdale Goalie New Member

May 12, 2001
    Bowie MD
    I was thinking more along the lines of Glen Hoddle :)