Ray Hudson's Gone

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by unite, Dec 1, 2003.

1. unite

unite New Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Hudson's Gone

United Declines Contract Option for Ray Hudson

Club to Begin Search for New Bench Boss

CHANTILLY, VA (December 1, 2003) —D.C. United announced today that the club has declined to exercise the contract option for Head Coach Ray Hudson._ After two seasons of guiding the Black-and-Red, Hudson will no longer be leading the team upon the completion of his contract, December 31, 2003._ The team will begin a search for Hudson’s successor immediately._

_______ “We have great respect for Ray and what he has accomplished during his years in Major League Soccer,” said United Senior Vice President and General Manager, Stephen Zack._ “While the team did achieve moderate success under his guidance, we felt that a change was necessary to move the team forward.”

_______“I want to personally thank Ray for his passion, hard work and commitment to D.C. United over the past two seasons,” added Dave Kasper, D.C. United’s Technical Director. “I respect him for his views of the game and everything he does to promote soccer in this country. I have enjoyed working with him and wish him the best of luck.”

_______ Hudson recently completed his second season as United’s Head Coach._ He led the Black-and-Red back into the MLS Cup playoffs this season for the first time since the club captured its third MLS Cup title in the 1999 season._ United finished the 2003 campaign with a 10-11-9 regular season record and fell to the Chicago Fire in the first round of the playoffs by a 4-0 aggregate score in the two-game series._ Hudson’s cumulative record as an MLS head coach stands at 46-44-20.

_______ Hudson began his MLS career with the Miami Fusion in 2000._ While he finished his first season with an 11-12-1 record, the club made great strides under his guidance in 2001 and finished with an all-time league best 16-5-5 record._ However, the Fusion’s regular season success did not result in postseason glory, as the club fell to the San Jose Earthquakes in the semifinal round of the playoffs.

_______ When MLS contracted Miami and Tampa Bay after the 2001 season, Hudson was forced to seek employment elsewhere._ It did not take long for him to land in the nation’s capital and he became United’s third Head Coach on January 8, 2002._ His first season ended with a 9-14-5 record, with the club failing to secure a playoff berth for a third consecutive season._ However, following a busy off-season that featured the addition of no fewer than 10 new names to United’s roster, Hudson was able to shake United’s playoff blues, as the team captured the final playoff spot with a 1-1 tie at RFK Stadium in the last game of the regular season._

_______ Prior to taking the reins as a coach, Hudson had a very successful playing career both in his home country of England and in America._ He made his professional debut with Newcastle United of the English Premier League in 1973 at age 17._ After over 40 appearances for his hometown club, “Rocky,” as he was affectionately known, came to the States and was one of the top players in the North American Soccer League._ He first starred for the Fort Lauderdale Strikers from 1977-1984, where he was named an All-Star five times._ He remained with the club for three seasons following its move to Minneapolis and finished his NASL career with 197 games played, 44 goals and 99 assists._ He closed his playing career after a second stint with the Strikers, then members of the American Professional Soccer League (1988-1991).

_______

---_ www.dcunited.com__ ---

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Thank God!

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I have to say that I am surprised. I didn't think they would do it.

Thanks to Ray Hudson for soldiering through some difficult times. I hope he finds success in the booth or on the bench, whichever he chooses. I'll buy him a drink any time.

Still, I think it's the right decision.

4. cldiscodan

cldiscodan New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    Its probably the right move for DC, but its still sad to see him go. I hope he replaces Ty in the booth come the first US friendly this winter.

5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a little bit surprised about Ray's contract not being extended. I thought that he would be back for another year and had hoped that Curt Onalfo would be added as an Assistant Coach.

I wonder what this means for John Trask. Is he "da man" now, or will he also be given his walking papers?

6. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Hudson leaving is only solving part of the problem....

Please take Stoich and Etch with you!

7. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    No word on whether or not Trask is staying.

8. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Well, I'd rather see him replace Rongen in the booth for DC games on Comcast.

But, I also agree with the replacing Ty part.

9. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    My sentiments exactly. Ray's a class act all the way (the mooning incident aside ;) ), and it makes me sad to see him go out like this. I'll raise a glass o' the brown for him tonight.

10. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Rongen is actually really good in the booth - I'd love to see a three-man booth of Dave Johnson and the two ex-coaches (who by all accounts are old friends going back to NASL days).

11. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Not a bad idea...

...Or...better yet...Ray Hudson as a sideline reporter!!!!

12. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Thank you for everything Ray. I'll save a seat for you in La Norte.

13. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    There will never be a better quote in D.C.

Ever.

That said, it's kind of interesting that they wouldn't trust Ray with Adu.

I think this is a pretty strong statement that DC's youth development has been piss poor.

14. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Despite them both being almost indecipherable at times...;)

I'm sad to see Ray-ray go, but it's a necessary step, I suppose. I'd like to see him stay with the club in some capacity, though. The only person I really want the hell out of here is Stoitchkov, and maybe Ivanov.

15. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
  16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    As a fan, I'm happy. I think this whas the right decision.

As a human being, I'm sad. I feel sorry that Ray wasn't able to repeat the magic he created in Miami back in 2001, and I hate to see a great guy go out on a bad note.

I know he loves the team and loves the league. He just wasn't the right guy to develop our team into a cohesive unit.

So who's the replacement?

17. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yallop is a pipe dream on United's part, but it can't hurt to ask.

18. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Yes...him too!

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MikeLastort2 could have been reading my mind. So, ditto to that.

Hope things will head in the right direction next season. And I'll drink a toast to Ray tonight--best of luck to him.

20. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    Sorry to see Ray go.

Surprisingly not a word from the the guy that actually pulled the trigger (Kevin Payne). With his mouthpieces giving the fond farewells, it makes it seem that the DCU staff made the decision. What a joke.

Now all the speculation on the new coach can begin in earnest. I just hope that the Ellinger contingent can give it a rest, they have pimped their guy enough.

Also, the hand-wringing about the potential roster moves and rebuilding of the team again will overwhelm these boards. This is going to a long off-season. :(

21. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Why? What's so much better about the Canadian job?

22. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    just being nosey...

i gotta think they are going to try and bring ellinger in; a native of maryland and has been watching freddy's progression down in florida can only help his chances...i cannot think of a choice that makes more sense. of course, when things makes sense in mls they tend to not happen, so with that...good luck in your search.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Concur.

The Yallop rumors are intriguing but I just don't see that happening. Aside from the fact that I see him taking the Canadad gig, if he doesn't, why would he leave the two-time MLS champs, a team he build, for the mess that is MLS?

I know Adu is good and all, but one man does not a team make. And, I know the real estate in NorCal is ridiculous, but it's not like the DC area is cheap to live either.

24. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    The longer Ray was in the dark about his future, the more obvious that Payne was gonna let him go.

So ends the third coaching era for DCU. Weird. Fun. Frustrating.

As to the replacements... everyone should remember that Goff is just talking about who DCU is interested in, not who might realistically take up the job. Case in point, Frank Yallop. It would be shocking to see him walk away from both the Quakes and the Canadians for DCU unless the Canadians are offering him chicken feed- which is possible here.

Ellinger I can see, and I would be copasetic with him, but who knows if he's now interested? I suppose we'll know soon.