Ray Hudson

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ChuckA, Jul 15, 2005.

1. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    LOL, oh yeah how could I have forgotten that one? And i also forgot "it's not over till my ex-wife sings" :D

2. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha, that's another goodie from him

he never fails to entertain me

3. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Great post Mibut, I think Hudson's fusion were one of the most exciting teams this league has seen in 10 years.

4. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought would be that Ray would not want to coach in MLS again. I think he'd be content coaching U-9s at the local rec field, and that'd be fine with him.

No other coach I've seen in the league to this point has worn the stress of the day-to-day job of coaching the way Ray did. Every loss bothered the hell out of him, to the point where he didn't even enjoy the wins, at least not as much as he should have. No coach I've seen spent so much time waiting for the other shoe to drop. Perhaps that was a function of the team he went to. Ray was very cognizant of the goal to be the guy that brought United back to where it was from '96-'99. Having merely good seasons wasn't going to accomplish that, and he knew this.

If Ray were to come back to MLS, my guess would be that it would be with an expansion team, where there's little pressure to win now. And his personality with reporters and fans would give the new team a bit of juice in the press for whatever city, be it Milwaukee, Seattle, where ever.

Ray does well in my book in the commentator's booth because he really enjoys being there. I'm not really sure, even at points where he had United playing well, that he really ever enjoyed coaching in that setting all that much.

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Ray Hudson gets a coaching job in this league again too.

Because that means DC United will get a few wins.

I don't like the man as a coach or as a broadcaster. He may be a prince of a person, but he annoys me to no end on television and he has rested on the laurels of Eric Eichmann's offensive assistant coaching for far too long, in my opinion.

Of course, I'll be branded a bad person for not bowing to a team that played well for a season, then choked in the playoffs, but what the hell.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If Eric Eichmann is such an offensive genius, then why hasn't he coached anywhere in MLS the past four seasons?

7. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    They didn't really choke, just met the Quakes who wrere destined to be champs that year :D

8. fusionmansteve

fusionmansteve New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Waiting in Lockhart parking lot.....
    Club:
    Miami FC

19,000 posts and that's the best you got? "Choked in the playoffs"? Do some research and check out the string of red cards issued in that series.

Hmmm...Forward Johnny Torres red carded in game one; serna (replay CLEARLY showed no retaliatory kick) and McKinley red carded in game 2; Bishop carded in game 3.

19,000 posts--come on, these boards are your life--there was something other than a 'choke' going on here...hmmm...the league knew Horowitz was on his way out (disbanded a few weeks later). Can't have your league champs disbanded now, can you? Suspending forwards Serna and Torres, midfielder Bishop and defender McKinley did in the Fusion, not the ferocious Troy Dayak.

I'm disappointed in you, Mr. Monster. 19,000 posts.

9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Yes - And his health generally suffered a lot that last season with DCU - Stress and Health (OK - So I'm being benign here - So what?) really took its toll on Ray far more than most other coaches

He was beloved for his quips and quotes - But these are best coming from a TV commentator and not the coach of a team - Veterans may have been able to take Ray's off-handed and coaching-by-quips approach, but this was disastrous on younger players who needed instruction and team discipline to grow into

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When in denial, cry conspiracy.

Because we know how Serna, Ivan and Bishop are such chiorboys.

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beats me. Actually, I think it was the triumvirate, not just Eric, but when the triumvirate fell apart, Ray relied more and more on John, who has piss-poor negative defensive tactics first in mind. Then you bring in anutcase like Hristo to replace a guy who you relied on and things get more and more defensive and you have the two years under Ray Hudson in DC.

Plus, I just like to poke the Eichman joke.

12. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hearing some of the things out of his mouth, i'd maybe bump that up to U-19 or something :p

13. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    This coach has been rated U-19 by the USSF. Any player below the age of 19 must be accompanied by an adult at all times to participate. :)

14. dogfried

dogfried New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Miami
    Winner.

Also, should a commentator be able to get away with saying something like "that kid is juiced right now" without being immediately removed from his position?

Unbearable.

15. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    "He's a competitor. . . . He'd stab his grandmother in the eyes just for another bowl of porridge." - Ray Hudson, describing the sometimes questionable style of play from Dema Kovalenko.

Found this quote on the MLS Fans forum, too funny :D