Ray Hudson?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by USAClash, Nov 8, 2004.

1. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    What has happened to Ray Hudson? I remember everyone thought once he was done with his coaching stint, that he was sure to be involved with MLS broadcasts in some way.

2. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    He's doing a ton of commentator work for Gol! TV.

3. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    heard rumors of involvement of bringing Miami or Lochart into A-League (very unlikely until 2006 now)

4. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's galvanizing and making fists of teams

5. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Hudson wanted to get back into coaching we'd LOVE to have him here in Colorado.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You Colorado fans are real gluttons for punishment, aren't you.

7. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody ought to hire him as a South American player scout.

8. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Replace Peter Nowak with Tim Hankinson and you'll change your tone QUICKLY.

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    To hear the comments from Alecko Eskadarian and Brian Carroll, Hudson won't be coaching in this league any time soon.

10. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Replacing Tim Hankinson with Ray Hudson will only improve the quality of the post-game interview.

11. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's out there being ruthless, that's for sure.

Why he isn't the 3rd guy on MLS Wrap I will never know. He would liven up that party.

12. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a dead mute would liven up that party

13. fusionmansteve

fusionmansteve New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Waiting in Lockhart parking lot.....
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Ray Hudson...Rod Stewart...separated at birth?

This vanilla league needs more Ray!

He was my idol in 1980, as a 10 year old season ticket holder for the Strikers.

He is still the man.

If only MLS could figure that out.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two young players who couldn't get off the bench in their rookie season are hardly the judges of coaching talent that I would be using as a benchmark. Both of them were upset. They probably weren't ready to contribute last year. Who knows?

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I like Ray, but MLS is all about finding good young American players and getting as much as possible out of them.

That's just not his strong suit.

He doesn't like to do the leg work scouting college games and that's needed from an MLS coach.

His track record with using young players is very poor. It's one of the reasons he was let go from DC. I mean, look at this year's United lineup and ask yourself if they'd be where they are if they hadn't gottne greater contributions from its youth. The talent from last year isn't much different, but the players are being used more.

Again, I'm a big fan of Hudson. His personality is great for MLS and the veteran team he built in 2001 was one of the most entertaining in league history and I'd love to see him be able to do that again. But, the league has changed and it continues to skew towards youth while the salary cap remains stagnant, meaning it will be very difficult to duplicate what the Fusion had in their last year.

I hope there's a role for Hudson somewhere in US Soccer. The booth, or the A-League or scouting overseas. But, I just don't see him being a good MLS coach again.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody, because they never really got the chance. All we know is, the next year they both contributed big time--Carroll from the get-go, and Esky once he got his groove.

Don't get me wrong, I like Hudson's personality and was even a little sad to see him go (although, after a season of Nowak, it was CLEARLY the right move). However, your post sort of answers it's own question, don't you think?

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, bring in the only coach in the world likely to have a worse record with SIs than you guys have had the last few years. You'll look back on the Zizi era fondly.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they were suddenly able to be mainstays on a much better team this year???

It's more likely that Ray is crap with young players.

EDIT: Other people made the same point, but it's gotta be said.

19. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000

yeah right, the SI's he had with the Fusion completely sucked.

20. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

he sat Stokes as well and you will be hard pressed to find anyone to say that Stokes is ready to play
    and not playing the young players was only a small reason of why DC was no good under Hudson

he does have an eye for talent, he did find Gomez, it was just that DC only signed him this year

21. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    He was thoroughly unsuited to managing the personalities of the players on the team. Look at Jamie Moreno then, look at Jamie Moreno now. Ask any veteren if they prefer the disorganized and incoherant system of Ray Hudson (Hristo and Etch) to the professional and organized Nowak.

Now it is possible that Ray learned a bit and could give you more of a Fusion performance than a DC United performance. But I don't even think the 2001 Fusion team would work in the league today, given the wholesale improvement of team defense.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric Eichmann

23. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    If Hudson and Hanki have anything in common, it's their desire to bring in old European re-treads to add "experience" to their squads. If I remember right, Hudson was about to sign Paul Gascoyne before he fell off the wagon again. It doesn't matter that players were great in their 20's. When they hit their mid-30's they all seem to have problems in MLS these days. I think we' Rapids fans have had enough older guys sitting on the bench with injuries. We deserve a different approach.

24. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    True, but Ray wasted a first round draft pick on Stokes. If we needed to draft a defender, we could've taken Dunivant or even Ricky Lewis.

Correct. Hudson/Trask's "Put out the Best XI regardless of position" was a much bigger reason why we sucked.

True, but does it really take that great an eye for talent to watch a soccer game and see that Gomez knows what he's doing?

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and Gazza was really looking forward to it. "Miami Fusion arra greet fitba cloob, wi' greet tra-de-shin. An' I hear they got gurls doon there wi' greet beg teats, like!" :D