Ray Hudson during Barcelona games

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by DannyUpper90, Mar 1, 2008.

1. DannyUpper90

DannyUpper90 Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Maryland
    Overexagerate? Ray Hudson?

I watch games on mute because of this clown. After that Ronaldhinho goal today I didnt think he would ever shut up about it. It was a great goal, but my God dude are you gonna fly to Spain and give the guy head or what??

He does it every match. "Oh little Messi!" "The genius and majestry of the great and brilliant Ronaldinho, top of his class."

Hey Ray... keep your man crushes to yourself and just call the game.

2. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    It's called color commentary.

Yeah he's annoying at first but he grows on you the more you watch.

3. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ray Hudson is the sh*t.

period.

4. YoungR10

YoungR10 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Largo
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yea Ray is great, and he does his job the best I wish there were others like him. He is also very intelligent about the game. I wish people could understand that.

And also it just shows how passionate he is and also how much he loves the game , And the fact that he commentates on every game like that, and yea we get passionate about barca because that is our team , he is passionate and gets very excited all the time no matter who`s playing that makes him great.

I mean I even watch bundesligas matches if Hes calling it, and that says a lot

5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I listen to R@dioBarça during games. It's only 10-15 seconds off the GolTV feed so I simply Tivo it and line it up with R@dioBarça. Nick Simons can be tough to listen to but he's more tolerable than Ray Hudson, and Simons is at the stadium.

Also, my cable box audio is set to 'default' during weekends, which means spanish for GolTV. ;)
    I switch it to english during weekdays for the Olé! La Liga and Hallo Bundesliga highlight shows.

6. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    agreed.

There is a very distinct difference between the way Spanish speaking commentators call games and English speaking commentators do.

One calls the game with very flowery and descriptive, sometimes exaggerating, language while the latter is a little more subdued.

I like both but Ray Hudson is the closest thing to a Spanish style commentator in English and I've really grown to like it.

7. El Guero Sin Fe

Sep 27, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I love Ray Hudson.

8. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I grew up listening to Harry Caray, so Ray Hudson feels just right. Except he's actually coherent, maybe in 30 years Ray, maybe in 30 years. :D

9. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Maybe sooner if he was consistently a 6-pack in by halftime for the rest of his broadcasting career. :p

I get a chuckle out of him when he takes the piss out of Phil Schoen like he did today a number of times. However, and I've said it before, my problem with him is that his style of 90 minutes worth of over the top zingers kind of gets old after a while. They simply aren't as amusing anymore.

10. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    He grows on you

at first i was like wtf? shut up

But now, i enjoy most of his crazy comments, a few things i don't like

like when he says "Little Robinho"

I always assumed the inho in robinho took care of the little part =/

11. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    I'd actually prefer it if commentators were more old-school British style and only talked when there was something to say. For example, if Ronaldinho plays a 6m back pass to Xavi, I do not need to hear it described to me, it is uninteresting and I just saw it happen.

Since no one on modern TV sportscasting can apparently master the art of silence, the next best thing is making it worth my while to listen. Stating the obvious and rattling off the occasional statistic or biographical detail now and then does not make it worth my while, I am aware of most of them anyway and they are rarely of any relevance.

So yeah, I am a huge fan of Ray and Andrés Montes, the dude that calls la Sexta games in Spain. Actually, Andrés Montes is the best NBA colour commentator I've ever heard (he held that job until WC 2006, and he was better at that than at soccer), that TNT crowd ain't got sh*t on him.

12. La-Furia

Jun 19, 2006
    New Zealand
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I like Ray's commentating, it's different and sometimes he'll say something so random it'll actually make you lol in real life.

13. PARAdoxx

PARAdoxx New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    That Montes dude, is he the one that commentated on RM-Barça 3:3 game from last season? "Messi, Messi.... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL" :D
    and "Viva futbol, viva futbol, viva futbol!"

About Ray Hudson now... It's obviously that he's one of those people you either love or hate. From what I've experienced, I sometimes like him, but often he's exaggerating by keeping that "spectacular" tone all the time, even at not-so-attractive matches.

14. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Ray can get a little repetetive. But all that means.... we can work on the RAY HUDSON DRINKING GAME. Loosely based on the Brent Musburger game.

http://hudsonia.blogspot.com/

I think we can do it...who's with me?

Like...everytime he mentions physics...that's a drink.

Hammer and Tongs....that's a chug right there (Hammer and Tongs is me and my bud's favorite because if you play Winning Eleven/PES then you hear this at least once a game). But I've heard Ray use it at least once when Barca was being shut out and we just exchanged looks and high fived!

15. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's the guy that calls Puyol "Tiburon", and Xavi "Dick Tracy", both apparently hate it.

You might also know him from his constant use of the term 'futbol con fatatas', 'tiki taka tika tika tiki taka....' and 'balon laaaaargo largo largo largo...'

17. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah I think people's opinions towards him are polarized. I like Hudson's style....though I remember I didn't like him when I first started watching goltv. He is knowledgeable. I like his "I don't know man....." phrase, haha.

18. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat
    "JAWS" :rolleyes:

You might regret showing me how to do this Ron. :p

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I apologize in advance to those who view the Barcelona forum of the BigSoccer message boards, regular posters and lurkers alike. :eek:

Is it possible to neg rep myself.

;)

20. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    while unbelievably annoying, i'm glad you posted that video.

it made me forget about what a horrible performance Carles had on Saturday. His play on that sequence was jaw dropping...you can never teach instinct and that man has instinct.

Steal the ball, dribble, spin move, pass, run to the flank, head the ball perfectly to Torres...shake hair wildly.

money.

21. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Alright, this is for all the people that like Ray Hudson. Here's a link to the Ronaldinho bicycle kick goal against Atletico.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wzjVFao2_Lg

Now, when you're done watching that.....look to the right of the video being displayed and click on "more from hudsonland"....there's a few more videos of Hudson doing what he does best (milito's penalty miss against Barcelona and so forth). It's jokes. Watch the Fabiano goal, for a "physical arousion" comment.

22. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't like Hudson when I first heard him but he grew on me and now I think he is one of the best. He is far better than the GolTV guy who announces the score 15 times during a goal celebration.

23. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    At first I wasn't big on Hudson either but he is very good, biased but good! I don't mind him being biased at all, especially since most of his faves are technical ball players which are the players I appreciate the most as well.

24. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  25. frostdude1

frostdude1 Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Canada