Raul vs. Ronaldo

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by billyireland, Nov 13, 2003.

1. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Who is the man upfront in Real

2. Coheed&Cambria

Coheed&Cambria New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Texas
    Is the question who is the better or player, or who plays up front at Real? If it is player than I say Raul. If it is the latter I have no idea. Why in the hell is this on the United forum?

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Its in this forum because I wasn't paying attention when I put it up, even though it was related with a thread in this forum. If Motts or somebody else can move it to The Beautiful Game, it'd be much appreciated.

4. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    Ronaldo.

Self-conscious people would obviously vote for Raul to avoid being obvious while people who base their judgement with reason would say Ronaldo.

5. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Nothing to add. Raul is a good player. That´s all folks.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    WTF???

Better all around footballer is Raul... by a mile... he's quicker, better in the air, smarter, better dribbler (right now) can use both feet with aim and power, works well off the ball, is a much better passer, similar control, much better hair style.

7. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Raul is more imprtant of the two.

Real without Raul?? Never!

Real without Ronaldo?? No Problem, who cares...

Raul is the one that makes the crucial goals for Real. He is younger, more creative and way better than Ronaldo. His only problem is, is that he doesn´t play for a Nike club or national team, cause they decide who becomes world player of the year.

8. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Ronaldo is still a better ball handler than Raul. Other than that, I agree with everything else you said.

9. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    If that's what you think then that's what you think.

But as world class Raul is, Ronaldo is a category onto himself. What he's achieved, what he's shown, no other player has shown except for him. He's simply a revelation in this game. He's the only player who I think runs purely on instincts and this is THE element that seperates classes in forwards. I'm not saying Raul doesn't have a striker's instincts, but just not like Ronaldo.

Raul is definitely a brilliant player. There is no doubting that, but in my opinion, Ronaldo is simply on another level. He may show dips in consistency, but that inconsistency is still way above-average when compared to even great forwards. I can't even begin to imagine where he would be if not for his nagging injuries, but regardless of his injuries, he is STILL the world's greatest forward right now.

But that's just my opinion.

10. BreakyoSelf

BreakyoSelf New Member

Nov 15, 2003

Raul is quicker?? Since when? Ronaldo is more explosive and faster. Check 2nd goal vs Bilbao.

Raul is better in the air.

Raul is definately not a better dribbler.. i've almost never see him try to dribble a defender... sure anybody can hold the ball without going past anybody.

Ronaldo can also use both feet almost equally... half the goals he scores are with his left. If you don't believe me checkout http://www.realmadridfans.net/videos.htm

Perhaps he is a better passer, but so far this season Ronaldo has more assists, and Raul is supposed to be the support striker.

Ronaldo has more goals and more assists this season actually. Raul has only scored in two Liga games this year... 3 in the blood bath that was Valladolid 7-2 (ooooh, that defense must have been imposing) and 2 crap goals even I could score against someone i can't remember.

Ronaldo's hairstyle was lousy. But he's bald now...

"Raul is the one that makes the crucial goals for Real. He is younger, more creative and way better than Ronaldo. His only problem is, is that he doesn´t play for a Nike club or national team, cause they decide who becomes world player of the year."

As for the quote above:
    Yes, Raul does make crucial goals, but Ronaldo's goals against B.Dortmund, Man U., Locomotiv Moscow were all goals that put them through to the next rounds.

Yes, Raul is younger.... BY A WHOLE YEAR... man, he's practically in diapers at 26.

And the "Nike" thing you said.... does the same reasoning apply to Zidane who also plays for no Nike team and is sponsored by Adidas? As I recall, he's won a few awards too.

11. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    The deciding man against Dortmund wasn´t Ronaldo, he was completly shite in the two games and just took benefit out of a defensive mistake by Dortmund in Reals home game. In Dortmund it was Portillo who made the goal for them in extra time.

The selection of Zidane was only made because it was impossible to not pick him!
    Ronaldo did definitly not deserve the 2002 award cause he hardly played that year and the 1996 award either, cause Sammer was better and Ronaldo made only 13games in the DUTCH!!!! league!

But as I said it was the Nike-factor, cause they wanted a Brazilian striker to win it and not a german defensive oriented player.
    It´s all about the money!

12. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    hmmmm.... boring......

13. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    I would take Raul,but it is really close.
    But how the hell can someone say Raul is quicker than Ronaldo?
    Go and watch some games,please.Ronaldo is way faster and quicker than Raul.It will take you 1 minute to realize it.

14. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!

15. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Cough :D

And Ronaldos goals in the run in last year didn't win Madrid La Liga?? hmmmmmmm....

I guess I should apologise as i'm the reason this thread was made...but I won't, it's interesting seeing the opinions of others in this thread.

Ronaldo is the best player of his generation and the best since Maradona (cue the flames :rolleyes: ) Fact is, like someone else said, he has done things in games that no-one else can actually do and even now in that overweight, unfit, always half injured state he still outscores nearly every other player in the world.

I said to billy in our original exchange that Raul is easily the best support striker in the world and that even the unfit Ronaldo is still numero uno no.9 and that difference between the two is just whose style you like more...apples & oranges...nothing more or less, they're both crucial players who're the best in their respective positions, so, what's the problem?... :/

It's just that if you put every player at 100% fitness Ronaldo is literally untouchable is that even dispputeable?

As for being a better 'all-round' player, billy that has nothing to do with what I was saying.. how can a player who doesn't head the ball (Ronaldo) be classed as an 'all-rounder'? Does that mean he can't be better? LoL, check Ronaldo's stats..he's scored hundreds of goals....not even 5% of those are headers...does that negate his achievement to you? Also, there is no way in hell Raul's right foot is comparable to Ronaldo's ability on either foot.. Raul has a preffered foot....Ronaldo will shoot on instinct with whichever foot is suitable for the situation...does that mean Raul's rubbish now?? not to me it doesn't..apples & oranges,

I can't see the point of comparing a number 10 with a number 9 when they work as a partnership ya know? in conjuction with one another....and a fantastic partnership they are too. What one lacks the other has, which is why they are put together. Wasss da pwobyem maine! lol